Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a solution for the misty heavy fog in the morning that coats the face shield. :( I don't like wiping with a glove at 60 mph. I understand that Rain X is not good for plastic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I use RainX. Have it on all the time. Works good in the fog, and I haven't noticed any deterioration of my shield.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thanks for saying you've used it. I used RainX on my last bike's factory installed windshield and it worked great in the rain. However, I bought a new 900 in July and a new windshield in Aug. Directions with shield said NOT to use RainX on any plastic, just glass, so I've avoided it on my helmet too. Why isn't it recommended? Never harmed my old shield.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know about WINDshields......
I use it on my face shield on my helmet.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I saw where someone posted that they use Lemon Pledge on their windshield. Don't think it would hurt and can see where it would be a repellent, but wonder about streaks, especially when facing the sun.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use either Rain X or Lemon Pledge.
Use mainly lemon pledge on the bike, the Jeep and on the windshield and leading edges on the plane when I flew more. I think Rain X works better but Pledge is cheaper and as long as you use it frequently it works well.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I use Rain-X as well, I've heard it'll damage the face shield too, but they're like what, fifteen bucks? I'll pay $15 a year for a new faceshield if it means I get to ride fog free! :p

I've also found a nice tactic is to remember to open it (even just a crack) when you stop or slow down. Helps keep it vented and prevents your breath at a stop from fogging it up!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been wondering about this recently too as were in that season here in New England. Then a thought hit me.....!!! As a Winter Hiker and Skier we use a product called "Cat Crap" on our Goggles (ie Plastic) to prevent fog and icing!!! Duh as i dopeslap myself i'll have to try this on my face shields on my helmets!!!

The stuff works well in winter. It comes in a small plastic tinlike container. You apply it like a wax, then buff it off.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I turn my head sideways and a lot of the mist beads blow off. I have considered wiping the plastic with dilute detergent to cause the water to film rather than bead - but have not tried it.

Hate the heavy fog/mist for other reasons - when I ride to work. I work in a "Radiation Control Area" (RCA) and the bathroom is on the "cold/normal" side of the dividing line. Have to pass through a portal radiation monitor to get there.

Fog and mist form on microscopic dust particles. These dust and moisture particles tend to collect radon and concentrate it in the now damp clothing. On mornings when the fog is thick, I can't exit the RCA without setting off the monitor. So I can't exit until I dry out. I only drink ONE cup of coffee those mornings! ;)

Woody

·
Registered
543 Posts
OK, so we have a reactor about 25 miles away in Hartsville, SC and that's the direction I usually ride, and now I have to worry about contaminated beads of fog. ;-) We don't have fog very often and it burns off fast.

·
Registered
348 Posts
OK, so we have a reactor about 25 miles away in Hartsville, SC and that's the direction I usually ride, and now I have to worry about contaminated beads of fog. ;-) We don't have fog very often and it burns off fast.
Well, is is no consolation that my problem is not reactor related. It is all mother nature. I work at a lab that provides service to power plants - no reactor here. The radon is all natural. It is everywhere, some areas more than others. Sometime back, it was discovered that a rural subdivision's well water was somewhat radioactive. After they pointed a finger at another (not where I am) nuclear service facility, some testing was done. Turns out the wells were sunk in an area containing natural uranium ore!

BTW, I just love it when vendors of whatever promote it as good for you because it is natural or organic. Lead, mercury, and uranium are natural, so are ricin and cobra venom, and they are organic as well (etc.) - Don't think any of them are particularly good for you.

Woody

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Like others above, I use RainX on my face shield inside and out. I have a foaming glass cleaner (spray) with RainX mixed in it. I also use Turtle wax on my windshield. When riding in fog or rain and the face shield gets covered, I move my head to one side or raise up over the top of the shield and the wind clears it for me.
Now if I can just get ALL the cages off the road as easily........

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Dean just a heads up. If that "glass cleaner" has ammonia in it, it can, over time, fade your windshield/face shield yellow.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A product called "bug slide" works great. Made for face shields and windshields. Melts bugs of so theyu do not scratch the plastic, and works like rainx in bad weather. I carry it with me all the time. Once you use it the 1st time, helments, windshields, lights, etc. are even easier to clean. When you but it it comes with it's own terry cloth like rag. Works great for me.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll Google "Big Slide". Guess I never considered the polish/wax on my face and wind shields. Will try that if I can't easily find Bug Slide locally. And after saying we didn't have fog very often, the humidity has been so high that we've had for three days in a row.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I use the same wax as I do on the painted surfaces. The water just rolls off as the wind blows across the surface.
Same here. I just use the same McGuire's wax on my visor as I use on my bike. And for the inside of the visor come winter time, I put some shaving cream on a piece of paper towel and wipe it on the inside of the visor until it is dry and not streaking. Prevents fogging on the inside.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bug slide seems to be very popular at the Harley Davidson shops around here, at least that's where I get mine. A friend that I ride with uses it on his full dresser Harley, and that is how I found out about it. I have even used it on my car windshields during the "bad bug weather" so the washer fluid and wiper blades can clean my windshiels.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts