Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I will cut to the chase and any direction would be appreciated.

This is my first bike, 1994 Vulcan 500, and I didn't grow up around 4 wheelers or dirt bikes so forgive any dumb questions I may ask.

I ended up hurting my knee again (constant problem) and let my bike sit for about 3 weeks....and didn't drain the carbs or turn the gas off.

Two days ago I got the itch to ride it and figured I'd try to fire it up anyway. No go. I tried maybe 5 times and got it to start, barely, but it would only idle for maybe 5 minutes but if I gave it any throttle it would bog down and try to die. I only got it to idle that one time, any other time it would start and try to settle down to idle and just die or not start at all. I decided to just pull the carbs and clean them (my bike is stripped so it takes no time at all). I pulled them and gave them a thorough cleaning, pilot jet and all, and reinstalled them. Turned the gas on and tried to start it again, no go and on the third try the starter started free spinning (sounded like a weed eater). I pulled the cover and saw what's in the attached pictures. Going off what I've read this is due to the epoxy on the segmented magnets breaking down and coming off, correct? When the starter free wheeled the two gears that chain runs on spun freely, I'm going to assume there's also something broken there. Could this be the reason it wouldn't idle? (Unsure if this and the stator send electrical impulses or something of the sort.) Or am I looking at a larger issue here? I've pretty much decided to put the bike away until I "finish" my Jeep, so I'm not in a rush. I'd rather fix it right the first time rather than rush and miss something.

Any help/pointers/constructive critisism would be really rad. Thanks y'all:embarrassed:

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
the '94 is what is known as a 1st Gen EX/EN engine. The flywheel was improved in '95+ up (Gen 2) models. You'll need a gen 2 flywheel..the magnets were no longer exposed...however its NOT a bolt-on. The ignition trigger mechanism needs to be modified to your Gen 1. This is doable, and has been, by many an EX500 owner. I'd suggest you get on over to ex-500.com for further detail and "how-to".
A link:

How to modify a 2nd Gen flywheel for a 1st gen bike (by FOG) - Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R

AFA the spinning gears...another common issue is the starter gear weld failure, also widely covered over there. This would prevent "cranking" aka "turning over".

A link on starter gear

Starter gear? Involved expertise needed. - Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R

That should be enough to get you started, a lot to digest and learn.

Good luck with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts