Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have been looking at these for a while. i cant justify paying $150+ for a led strip that costs $10 and a few hours forming and making a mounting bracket. i am going to attempt to build one and post a how too if it turns out well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i know that I'm probably overpaying, but i can't build anything (lack of skill, tools etc.) so I'm taking the easy way out. plus i picked up my bike without any blinkers and want to fix that asap.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was this piece ever recieved and installed? I'd like to know, Thinking about ordering one.
I did receive it and install it. Since the bike is new to me, I did not realize that I was missing a cord that would run from the terminal to the actual unit under the rear fender. I have not really tried finding a cord yet so the LED is there, but not currently functional. I know that does not do you much good, but definitely be prepared to make physical adjustments to the plastic bracket used to mount the unit. I had to extend the oval holes on it to be able to move the LED unit far enough back, so that I can align it with the fender. The way it came, the bracket kept the LED underneath the fender where you could not see it. Anyway, this was a minor adjustment, and did not cause much annoyance to me.

I did not forget about this thread, so I will post the final results as soon as everything's working. If anyone has suggestions about where I can get an idea of which cord I would need for this, that would be great (online, or in Austin, TX area).

Till it's done!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the same kit. I agree that it is a bit pricey for what it is but it looks nice. As the police in NJ can be "picky" I decided to modify my rear fender flap to allow me to use the light strip along with my stock turn signals. I added the dynamic clusters to my stock taillights as well. This gave me extra running lights, brake lights and turn signals. Both the dynamic clusters and the light strip are very bright. The light strip does mount well and the wiring is easy (once you get the fender off). you just tap into your stock turn signal wires. There is nothing you need to run back to the connections under the seat. I am really pleased with the way everything looks. I added an LED license plate bracket to complete the tail conversion.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the same kit. I agree that it is a bit pricey for what it is but it looks nice. As the police in NJ can be "picky" I decided to modify my rear fender flap to allow me to use the light strip along with my stock turn signals. I added the dynamic clusters to my stock taillights as well. This gave me extra running lights, brake lights and turn signals. Both the dynamic clusters and the light strip are very bright. The light strip does mount well and the wiring is easy (once you get the fender off). you just tap into your stock turn signal wires. There is nothing you need to run back to the connections under the seat. I am really pleased with the way everything looks. I added an LED license plate bracket to complete the tail conversion.
That looks awesome! :D I kinda gave up on mine for some time mostly because the kit has wires without the plugs that could connect to the motorcycle wiring, and I don't want to just hard wire it. Did you work around that somehow? Maybe you did hook the plugs up to the kit?

Thanks!
B

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
just cut the plugs off the stock signals and splice them to the led strip....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea that's the problem... i got mine without any stock signals... I think I may need to buy some plugs, but I'm not sure which ones will work.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Was it a wreck bike? unless PO removed signals that's pretty much illegal to ride no?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was it a wreck bike? unless PO removed signals that's pretty much illegal to ride no?
I bought it without blinkers, since I'm not a fan of how stock ones look on it. I've been riding it without signals since January. I guess Texas is pretty lax on this kind of stuff...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Since I kept the stock blinkers I just tapped into the wiring going to the stock lights. The only other thing I did was change my flasher relay to one that handles LED lights. It was about $20 and was plug and play. If you don't have any blinkers that you can just put plugs on the exisiting wires but you would still need a new flasher relay (unless you want to use diodes).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts