Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gear selector is just totally floppy in full range and in a really low position. See video below. Bike is 2002 with 7.4k miles. The current oil is 10w-40 that is motorcycle safe (not energy/resource conserving) When I started it today it was in true neutral with light on.

Yesterday i drove my bike around my yard in 1st gear only and it was hard to get into first from neutral (though i have 0 experience in shifting)

Today, something happened where bike is in neutral (rear wheel free) BUT no neut. light and wont start unless i squeeze clutch. '
Keep in mind i dont know anything beyond the pattern and how to drive in 1st so far..

Video of my problem (paste link, won't let me do links yet. ):

What did I do??? :(:confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Suggestions? I'm committed to fixing it!

It looks like I may need to remove a cover to see if some linkages inside are broken. Is there some linkage that runs underneath the bike I should look for. (trying to find a diagram of this part and how it works)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Would suggest picking up a manual,I'm no expert but something is broke or came off,sure others will chime in,be patient

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No external linkages like pictures I see on 500 LTD.

My plan is to remove the case cover with the glass oil piece and see if the pawl moves with shift lever. If not as expected, it means internal breakage and major surgery :crying2:

I think I can remove the engine but splitting it is terrifying. I have never put an engine together and dealt with clearances and important torque #s

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought a vn1500 with a shift problem,a lot of play in the selector.During tear down,I found a bolt in the linkage going into the crank case broke.Mine didn't move that much but I would check over it good before tearing into it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Gid,read ur thread,wow,Dove right in,C you got lots of help,Open ur own 750 shop after this project
Good deal,like to see it when ur finished.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts