Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 500 is a nice little bike, but I can't say I'm loving the cruiser style foot controls and the humped seat that much. I first learned to ride on an old honda CB 350 with a standard position, and I still find that the most comfortable today. I know that most modern bikes that are considered "standard" arent too far from your typical sport bike with very few exceptions. Off the top of my head I can name the Shadow RS and the Honda CB1000.

To bring the foot position back a little, I would likely start with some type of floorboard. Not sure what is available on the market, but from what I've found, accessories for the 500 are minimal. I could fabricate something and hang it off the existing pegs or figure out some way to support it in the rear, but clearance around the exhaust is pretty tight.

Just wondering if anybody else has done something similar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Riding position

I know just what you mean Bob. Same issue for me coming from standard bikes. Nortons, old Sportsters and BMW airheads. I hate forward controls. This engine would be great in a retro or cafe' bike.
I just bought an Airhawk seat pad. Large Cruiser R model. Costs a little over a C-note. Helps get you up and back a little. Much better. Takes getting used to. Seems a little squishy at first. But COMFORTABLE!!!
My next plan is risers and handlebars I can adjust forward a little. I think I will pull the vinyl off and customize the seat foam as well.
As an old rider (67) with a SEVERE allergy to trikes, I like the power and weight of this bike. Cheap to buy and own, easy to ride, roll around and work on but not real flickable or comfortable.
These are great bikes and as time goes on maybe more custom aftermarket parts will show up. We ride all year long where I live so comfort is a good thing.
Kris
P.S. I love this engine! Gives me a huge grin every time I crank it to 7 or 8k.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know just what you mean Bob. Same issue for me coming from standard bikes. Nortons, old Sportsters and BMW airheads. I hate forward controls. This engine would be great in a retro or cafe' bike.
I just bought an Airhawk seat pad. Large Cruiser R model. Costs a little over a C-note. Helps get you up and back a little. Much better. Takes getting used to. Seems a little squishy at first. But COMFORTABLE!!!
My next plan is risers and handlebars I can adjust forward a little. I think I will pull the vinyl off and customize the seat foam as well.
As an old rider (67) with a SEVERE allergy to trikes, I like the power and weight of this bike. Cheap to buy and own, easy to ride, roll around and work on but not real flickable or comfortable.
These are great bikes and as time goes on maybe more custom aftermarket parts will show up. We ride all year long where I live so comfort is a good thing.
Kris
P.S. I love this engine! Gives me a huge grin every time I crank it to 7 or 8k.
Thanks for your reply, I know this is a slow forum, guess Winter has something to do with it.

I have an airhawk on another bike, a Honda Silverwing. I found that that seat became uncomfortable after about 30 mins or so and having the airhawk with minimal inflation took enough stress off the spine that it was much less noticeable. When the weather warms up a bit more, I'll swap it to the Vulcan and give that a try.

I've been pondering what to do about floorboards and have a few ideas. I picked up a used lift a few weeks ago and am planning to do oil and coolant in the near future. At that time I'll pull the pegs off and see how they fit into the mounts. I can get 1/4" aluminum plate and can cut and shape that. I saw one other post here where some aftermarket boards were used and the pivot point was moved back about an inch or so. I'm not sure if that is absolutely necessary, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

My opinion of the motor is that it's a bit raspy, not as smooth as the motor in the silverwing which is also an inline twin. Starting it in the winter, it seems a bit cold blooded, but warms up enough after a minute or so to be able to drive off. It may need the carbs pulled, but before that I'll run some seafoam in the gas and see if that helps things a bit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, if you can get the pegs and controls back the seat will be too low I think, so there is that. You can always put a backrest on, bunggie on a sleeping bag and pack and just lean back like it's a lazy boy recliner I guess. I used to do that on my superglide for long rides. Raspy engine? Maybe you need to balance your carbs and run higher revs. These things are happiest shifting at least 4500 to 5000. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts