Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding to work the other morning along my usual route with many twisties and one 90 degree turn along the way. upon approaching the 90 degree turn I downshifted to 4th.....then 3rd into the curve and went to upshift as I accelerated out of it when I noticed that something was wrong with my shifter. I was stuck in 3rd and the entire floorboard was pivoting up and down as I tried to shift. :confused:

Turns out that the rear support bolt on the floorboard fell out as I downshifted for that curve. I actually stopped the bike looked at, and went back and found the bolt in the road. Anyone else have a problem like this? I would have never thought of such a failure on the road but now I check all the bolts once a month. Just wondering if this was common on a cruiser with floorboards. Thanks for the input in advance.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I had the same thing happen on mine last year. I noticed that something was wrong while I was driving, so I was able to pull over and tighten it up. I think that maybe the left side gets more 'use' cause of moving your foot around all the time to shift.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It happened on mine about a month after purchase (2008). I lost the bolt entirely and had to trailer her home. I tried to steal a bolt from the right hand side and found out how cheap the stock tool kit was. So one new bolt and a new home made tool kit later and I was back riding again. I did take this as a sign to check all the fittings for tightness. None of the others were loose and since then I haven't found that bolt or any other bolt loose. Maybe the factory torque spec is a little low on that one bolt. Either way, smooth sailing since that disconcerting morning.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Thanks txmedic!
The wife and I were going for a ride, and I made a mental note to check the floorboard bolts. Guess what? Loose as #%@@!
The rear bolt was gonna fall out, and the other was getting there, weird thing is, no symptoms. Thanks for calling it to my attention!
On a side note......it was 1/2 inch standard, not metric.....and here I was carrying a set of quality metric wrenches in my saddlebag.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks txmedic!
The wife and I were going for a ride, and I made a mental note to check the floorboard bolts. Guess what? Loose as #%@@!
The rear bolt was gonna fall out, and the other was getting there, weird thing is, no symptoms. Thanks for calling it to my attention!
On a side note......it was 1/2 inch standard, not metric.....and here I was carrying a set of quality metric wrenches in my saddlebag.
Well now that is really odd! Mine most definitely had bolts with 14mm hex heads. If it had been a 13mm, I could see it because 13mm & 1/2" are really really close to each other. And usually either wrench will work. But I KNOW mine was a 14mm. Did you buy the bike new? Just wondering if someone has done a little at home shade tree mechanic'n. Or has Big K made some kind of change? I can't imagine the later being true since every other stinking part on the bike is metric. Curiouser and curiouser???:confused: (as the little girl said to the big white rabbit)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts