Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to use slime or other products in my tubes? I have a flat yon my rear tire but I need to air it up to ride it to the shop.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
In tubes? Darned if I know. My tires are tubeless so I've no personal experience with that. I use Ride-On to both balance the wheels and provide some puncture protection along the treads (doesn't work on the sidewalls). But I don't have any in the garage right now to read to see if it can be used in tubes.

I could be wrong but I don't think it can be used in tubes. I was wrong once before way back in '68.

·
Registered
314 Posts
In tubes? Darned if I know. My tires are tubeless so I've no personal experience with that. I use Ride-On to both balance the wheels and provide some puncture protection along the treads (doesn't work on the sidewalls). But I don't have any in the garage right now to read to see if it can be used in tubes.

I could be wrong but I don't think it can be used in tubes. I was wrong once before way back in '68.
I've used Ride-On for about 10 years. Fortunately, I've never needed it for it's puncture protection but admire it for it's "fine-tuning" of balancing. The Ride-On site says it's effective on tubes, but it's effectiveness is reduced to 55-65% because tubes can tear when punctured.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Slime makes a huge mess in tubeless setups. They clog up valve stems and sometimes damage the TPMS. How far is the shop? How fast is the leak? If it's a small slow leak then you should be able to over-inflate the tube and ride a short distance before the tire is flat again. If you have a huge hole in the tube, you're SOL.

·
Registered
250 Posts
So this is a month old, but hopefully some good info for the future...

Slime makes 2 different products... One for tubeless tires and one for tubes.

I use the tube type in my manual 2 wheeler (aka an ancient technology Cannondale M-series mountain bike). I've also used it to seal straight punctures on the rear wheel of my 500. It does not work well for tears in the tube, only for a small puncture.

The tubeless stuff seems to work pretty well too. My mower has it in all 4 wheels and it actually sealed where the tires have some dry checking on the sidewalls... Only have to add air every 3 months or so vs every other day before I added the slime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts