Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on a 7 Day ride in some remote areas of Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana in July. Is there something I can do in case of getting a flat tire. I have spoked rims on my 900 LT. Should I take an extra tube? Any other suggestions.

PG

·
Registered
657 Posts
First and foremost, make sure you have insurance with good roadside service. Fixing a flat on a tubed tire is a challenge to say the least. Odds are better than 80% it'll be the rear tire if it happens. You might also try Slime. That might help keep anything really small from leaving you stranded.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Use Ride On and not Slime Or Simonize Sealant or the other product that you can get from the autoparts store (ask them they'll get it for you). Get the travel container or get it in now. Why them instead of Slime? They clean up with water, slime doesn't. These products can help in a tube but there is no garuntee. Best bet is the mentioned insurance. You're not getting the tire off and worked on by yourself on the road without the appropriate tools anyways.

You could have an extra tube with you already just in case they don't have one BUT tubes can be patched. When you get a nail at speed though the nail tends to shread the tire inside, not just make a hole. Though I got one in the front tire late last year and it just left a hole.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I am going on a 7 Day ride in some remote areas of Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana in July. Is there something I can do in case of getting a flat tire. I have spoked rims on my 900 LT. Should I take an extra tube? Any other suggestions.

PG
I am riding from the Toronto area to Phoenix, doing the Grand Circle then back home again, around 12000 kms, i just compiled a parts kit
front tube
rear tube
2 tire levers
2 spark plugs
Headlight bulb
turn signal and brake light bulbs
oil filter
mini compressor run from my cig adapter
1 qrt motor oil
CAA (AAA) plus, includes motorcycle towing for 200 miles)
Full 167 pce tool kit

My biggest concern for the trip is a flat tire ... i have made 2 chocks from 4 - 2x4"s about 8 " long nailed together that i can slide under each side of the bike and lift the rear or front wheels clear off the ground. I can carry this crap cause i am hauling a trailer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am planning a trip this Summer and potentially alone so I am really interested in preparing well. I have tubeless tires and am going to purchase a repair kit but the question I have regards reinflating. What is the concensus recommendation between a mini inflator (suggestions welcome) versus CO2 cartridges basing your remarks on relilability, package size anad cost? Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Use Ride On and not Slime Or Simonize Sealant or the other product that you can get from the autoparts store (ask them they'll get it for you). Get the travel container or get it in now. Why them instead of Slime? They clean up with water, slime doesn't. These products can help in a tube but there is no garuntee. Best bet is the mentioned insurance. You're not getting the tire off and worked on by yourself on the road without the appropriate tools anyways.

You could have an extra tube with you already just in case they don't have one BUT tubes can be patched. When you get a nail at speed though the nail tends to shread the tire inside, not just make a hole. Though I got one in the front tire late last year and it just left a hole.
+1 for Ride On!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Slime makes a small mini compressor that is great. It comes with Cig. lighter plug, battery alligator clips, and battery tender plug so you can use either. There are many good reviews on the web. I keep one in my saddle bags all the time. Walmart used to stock them but have not seen one in there in a while.
http://www.slime.com/product/111/Power-Sport-Tire-Inflator-(%2340001).html
They work well but get very hot when used. The little pump is high rpm and really puts out some air. May need to check the fuse size of whatever you plan to plug it into. I use a 15 amp circuit on a cig. lighter plug. I do not know how many amps the compressor pulls.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I am planning a trip this Summer and potentially alone so I am really interested in preparing well. I have tubeless tires and am going to purchase a repair kit but the question I have regards reinflating. What is the concensus recommendation between a mini inflator (suggestions welcome) versus CO2 cartridges basing your remarks on relilability, package size anad cost? Thanks.
I use a mini compressor and plug it into a cig adapter that i have installed, i have seen the co2 cartridges, just never new how many i might need, hence the compressor ... its small may be 6" x 6" x 2"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts