1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, August 2016
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I don't know what the laws are in Canada, but having the spots flash instead of the headlight is illegal in the US.

·
Registered
323 Posts
There are some pretty specific rules about headlight modulators. Rate of flash, min and max brightness, etc. As Sabre-T says, flashing spotlights (on-off) are illegal, and so are headlights that flash on-off unless they foillow the modulator rules.

·
Registered
388 Posts
There are some pretty specific rules about headlight modulators. Rate of flash, min and max brightness, etc. As Sabre-T says, flashing spotlights (on-off) are illegal, and so are headlights that flash on-off unless they foillow the modulator rules.
This is why I do not want a headlight modulator. Too much chance of it not complying with the rules. Brake light modulators are considered legal in all states, last I checked, and I am considering one of them for my Nomad.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
This is why I do not want a headlight modulator. Too much chance of it not complying with the rules. Brake light modulators are considered legal in all states, last I checked, and I am considering one of them for my Nomad.
Headlight modulators are also legal in all states (Federal level regs). Any modulator that has an ambient light sensor to turn the modulation off at dusk/ on at dawn, is almost certainly going to meet the other regs unless the headlight is LED and the modulator wasn't made to work with LEDs. If it doesn't have a light sensor, though, I would stay away from it.

Even brake light modulators can be made so that they do not meet regs. Usually that is from flashing too fast (the reason being that it is thought they could trigger seizures even in someone who has never had seizures before - stupid, but that's why), but if they were designed to make 2 rear brake lights alternate, that would be illegal, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts