Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 1157 LED replacement bulb ( there are two in the pack) at Walmart last night
The bulb will be at running state and when you apply the brake, it flashes 6 times thn comes on high and steady.
Nice addition to my V900D. I think the brand is Pilot.
I'll do anything for attention in front of cars.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I picked up a 1157 LED replacement bulb ( there are two in the pack) at Walmart last night
The bulb will be at running state and when you apply the brake, it flashes 6 times thn comes on high and steady.
Just make sure you use a white LED if you have colored lenses. For example, a red lens will filter out a red LED making it much less visible, which defeats the purpose of being seen, flashing or not. I've seen people use red LEDs under red lenses thinking it would be even more visible, but it is just the opposite.

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Just make sure you use a white LED if you have colored lenses. For example, a red lens will filter out a red LED making it much less visible, which defeats the purpose of being seen, flashing or not. I've seen people use red LEDs under red lenses thinking it would be even more visible, but it is just the opposite.
It depends on how bright the LED is. I bought one from SuperBrightLEDs and they warned NOT to use white in the brake light. The white LED is so bright that it washes out and looks pale pink when the brake light comes on. They recommended a red LED to avoid this. Running and brake were both brighter than OEM and I liked the flash feature. That $20 bulb worked great for about 6 years.

·
Registered
2019 VN900 Custom
43 Posts
The red lens actually filters all light EXCEPT red.

"For best results, the LED color should be the same as the lens color. If the bulb is behind a clear lens, use the appropriate color for turn and brake light functions. When installed in a housing that has a matching colored lens, red and amber bulbs will appear brighter than white LED bulbs—even though they have lower lumen outputs. As an example: a red lens will filter out all but the red portion of light from a bulb, so if the light being emitted from the bulb is all red, none or very little light will be blocked by the lens. The light from a white LED bulb contains very little light in the red portion of the visible spectrum, so most of the light that contributes to its higher lumen value would be filtered out by a red lens. This makes the white bulb appear dimmer than the red bulb."

The above quote is from the the SuperBrightLEDs website:
Which Color LEDs Should I Use?

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
My experience has been just the opposite. I have tried bulbs of the same lumens, same mfg, one white, one red behind red brake lenses and the red led was significantly less visible. I tried this with bulbs from several mfgs with the same results. I also tried it with amber lights. Same results.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My experience has been just the opposite. I have tried bulbs of the same lumens, same mfg, one white, one red behind red brake lenses and the red led was significantly less visible. I tried this with bulbs from several mfgs with the same results. I also tried it with amber lights. Same results.
Sabre-t, physics theory says you're wrong, but it's hard to argue with practical experience. My Vaquero has OEM LEDs so I'm out of the argument either way. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
2019 VN900 Custom
43 Posts
Sabre-t, physics theory says you're wrong, but it's hard to argue with practical experience.
Well said, SteveJB!

I put a red LED in my tail light and never looked back. Seems brighter than the 1157 bulb that was in there originally. I guess it’s all subjective.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Sabre-t, physics theory says you're wrong, but it's hard to argue with practical experience. My Vaquero has OEM LEDs so I'm out of the argument either way. Ride Safe!
Well said, SteveJB!

I put a red LED in my tail light and never looked back. Seems brighter than the 1157 bulb that was in there originally. I guess it’s all subjective.
Thinking this over after doing some research:

Technically, you are right, the red lens filters other wavelengths and passes the red best, but the lens poorly filters the other wavelengths. That is why a white LED (or even an incandescent bulb) behind a red lens looks more orange-ish or yellowish than a red LED does. I think what may be happening is that while the red light is passed better, it is one of the colors to which the human eye responds very poorly. The human eye responds about 30% - 50% as well to reds in the 625 - 660 nm range (the predominant wavelengths of most red LEDs) as it does to green thru yellow and orange wavelengths. The closer to 660 nm, the less the eye responds to it. While a red lens filters much of the other colors from a white LED, the eye responds well enough to those other colors that do seep thru that the white LED actually appears to be brighter.

When you take a pictures with a digital camera, the camera responds more equally to the different wavelengths than the human eye does. By the time the image is processed and presented for viewing, the red may very well be brighter in the picture than the white one. Therefore, using pictures as "proof" that one may be brighter than the other may be misleading. With conventional film, which one appears brighter may depend on the particular chemistry of that film.

Of course, if a red led is bright enough, it will still appear brighter than a standard incandescent 1156 or 1157, but I think a white LED is appears brighter still, which, for me, is a very important.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan Nomad 1700
6 Posts
Light up the back of your bike like I did on my Vulcan and you don't need flashing bulbs....just my 2 cen
IMG_20200525_204938959.jpg
IMG_20200531_114210081_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200525_204938959.jpg
IMG_20200531_114210081_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Light up the back of your bike like I did on my Vulcan and you don't need flashing bulbs....just my 2 cen View attachment 244099 View attachment 244100 View attachment 244099 View attachment 244100
A NHTSA study concluded that very bright modulated LED brake lights were the most effective at getting attention. Very bright modulated incandescent, and very bright unmodulated LEDs were approximately tied for a somewhat distant second. Normally bright LEDs were next and normally bright incandescent bulbs were a distant last.

Brightness to the point of almost being obnoxious (but not blinding and within legal limits), modulation, and the instant on/off of LEDs all combined together were determined to very important to grabbing attention of following vehicles. The way the study was quite well done, IMO. Sorry, I don't have a handy link to the study at the moment.

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree completely with this approach. One of the best reasons to have saddlebags is the increased rear-facing real estate upon which to mount auxiliary run/brake (even turn) lights.

I tend to double-pump my front brake on every engagement, but plan to add a modulator anyway.
Got them off eBay, made for a Harley but fit close enough for me. Wiring was the biggest challenge but a little trial and error and they work great. Here is the page on eBay....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts