Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I first with the news? ...there's now a flash available from Ivan for the 900 motor!! Now I can't provide you with any personal experience of this one, but if it's even remotely as good as the 1700 flash (and I've never heard a bad word said about any of Ivan's work) - then I think it's sure to become the new "must have" performance upgrade.

I had intended to trade off my 1700 a year ago for something else (my wife likes the social aspect of being a rider of HD, and we'd even selected the color for our Street Glide). Ivan has changed all that, and this Voyager is now a long-term keeper.

See Ivan's Performance Products for details.

Like I said recently over on the 1700 forum...

When you get it back, your ECU is going to look pretty much the same... There will be a label and some etching on the outside, and the inside will be filled with Magic!
Disclaimer... I have no affiliation at all with Ivan's Performance Products, or the business' owner Ivan. I'm simply an extremely satisfied beneficiary of the work and effort he's put into improving our ride.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Pretty Cool Mod! Too bad the riding season is about upon us Midwesterners. Would have been a nice winter mod. Maybe next year!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Pretty Cool Mod! Too bad the riding season is about upon us Midwesterners. Would have been a nice winter mod. Maybe next year!
Turn around time from him is under a week depending on where you are at in the country. He normally gets them done and out the door the same day he gets it in.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Never mind just read Ivan's page.

'I sometimes choose not to make the final fuel mapping inside the ECU because it is not possible to make changes to your ECU without mailing it back to me. I do adjust most fueling problems inside and try to make the tune 90% for most users... this makes a fuel tuner optional for many of the models that I offer this service for.'

Anyone know if I still need my Cobra Fi2000R PowerPro Tuner with the flash. I noticed on the form that he asks if you have one. Will the flash and the Fi2000R make things better or is it overkill?

This has me rethinking selling my 900 Custom.

TIA

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never mind just read Ivan's page.

'I sometimes choose not to make the final fuel mapping inside the ECU because it is not possible to make changes to your ECU without mailing it back to me. I do adjust most fueling problems inside and try to make the tune 90% for most users... this makes a fuel tuner optional for many of the models that I offer this service for.'

Anyone know if I still need my Cobra Fi2000R PowerPro Tuner with the flash. I noticed on the form that he asks if you have one. Will the flash and the Fi2000R make things better or is it overkill?

This has me rethinking selling my 900 Custom.

TIA
Those comparative dyno charts Ivan has posted are all from a bike without a fuel tuner. Almost all of us who have had our 1700 ECU's have either sold our tuners or like me have them hanging on a nail in the shop gathering dust. There's no market for used tuners for the 1700 any more - everyone is being sent to Ivan instead. So I don't think you'll need it, but you should give Ivan a call. He likes to talk to every potential customer (or in my case we had long discussions by PM) before a sale.

I had my 1700 running fairly well with a Dobeck EJK tuner, but any tuner is really just a "band-aid" solution trying to fix the programming that Kaw had to use to keep within strict emissions regulations. Ivan's gone into the source of the problem, and fixed that and many other issues. The bike is very much more "rideable".

I'm looking forward to hearing from the first few 900 riders to have their bikes Ivanized. Those charts are even more impressive than the 1700 ones are.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Those comparative dyno charts Ivan has posted are all from a bike without a fuel tuner. Almost all of us who have had our 1700 ECU's have either sold our tuners or like me have them hanging on a nail in the shop gathering dust. There's no market for used tuners for the 1700 any more - everyone is being sent to Ivan instead. So I don't think you'll need it, but you should give Ivan a call. He likes to talk to every potential customer (or in my case we had long discussions by PM) before a sale.

I had my 1700 running fairly well with a Dobeck EJK tuner, but any tuner is really just a "band-aid" solution trying to fix the programming that Kaw had to use to keep within strict emissions regulations. Ivan's gone into the source of the problem, and fixed that and many other issues. The bike is very much more "rideable".

I'm looking forward to hearing from the first few 900 riders to have their bikes Ivanized. Those charts are even more impressive than the 1700 ones are.
I'm hoping to sell mine to offset the cost of the Ivanizing. :D Now I just have to break it to my wife that I'm not selling my motorcycle. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
I've followed all the Ivan threads in the 1700 section. My 900 ECU is in the mail. Hopefully I'll have a report soon.
Man...this would be a great opportunity to do a "Before and After" vid on this mod...is that possible, 900bubba? I know I'd greatly appreciate seeing it....

I'm considering doin' the upgrade on my bike.

Once again, keep us posted...even if you can't do the vid.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
No chance for a video -- ECU already on it's way to Ivan.
No mods - 100% stock as far as intake, processor and exhaust are concerned.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
No worries...maybe someone will put one together in the future.

Looking forward to your results post.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I've followed all the Ivan threads in the 1700 section. My 900 ECU is in the mail. Hopefully I'll have a report soon.
Keep us posted on how well it works.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hope the $350 is worth it. Seems more logical to buy a fuel processor. Less money and down time.
Flawed logic... A fuel processor doesn't so much fix one small part of the problem, as just cover it up a little bit. I was quite happy with the processor on my 1700, but the flash is far, far better, and fixes everything else that's wrong with the bike along with the lean fuel issue.

From this country it was more than 2 weeks down time, expensive to ship, the ticket was clipped by NZ Customs - and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
First impressions - only had time for a 25 mile ride after plugging it in. These are all subjective observations and you can refer to the dyno charts for the hard data Ivan's Performance Products Throttle response is much smoother, much better transition from full or rolling stop. Felt more in control of throttle movement and response. Smoother shifting is also enabled with this.
More power (not drastic) dyno charts show about a 3.5% increase with my stock set-up. Seems to accelerate faster and more willing to rev. Seems to be working less at a given speed.
My route only allowed for 55 mph max but I could tell there was less buzz and vibration at that speed.
Need to get used to the decrease in engine braking. No longer do you get the dropped anchor effect when you let off the throttle. It still slows but not as abrupt, again smooth.
It's supposed to run cooler. I could not assess this on the short ride. The fan did kick in once at a stop light after a roll thru a school zone at 20 mph (80 degree air temp)

Smoother, a little faster and less vibration at speed.
So far, so good.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts