Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about switching to a '14 Yamaha FJR1300A (or ES)...maybe a '13 or '15. Looked at the Kawi Concours, but really prefer the look of the FJR1300.

Anyone have experience with the FJR? Thoughts? Tips?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
They are mean little machines. I rode a Connie and that was one smooth supple ride. I've heard good things about the FJR.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've eyed that same ride. It's a nice looking machine. And bang for the buck is great. I just prefer the cruiser look.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I do, too. I've never had anything but a cruiser. Having grown up in the 70s and 80s, today's sport bikes look way too futuristic for my tastes, while the cruiser styling looks just right. But the way my lower back's been acting up the last couple years, the forward lean of the sports tourer may be the way I have to go.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I do, too. I've never had anything but a cruiser. Having grown up in the 70s and 80s, today's sport bikes look way too futuristic for my tastes, while the cruiser styling looks just right. But the way my lower back's been acting up the last couple years, the forward lean of the sports tourer may be the way I have to go.
A backrest sometimes helps with lower back but, yeah nothing beats the sport touring position. Evenly distributing weight on back and arms and also making it easy to put weight on feet/legs for a while.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Nice bikes. Test drove a used one a couple weeks ago as potential replacement for my crotch rocket. Me like.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A backrest sometimes helps with lower back but, yeah nothing beats the sport touring position. Evenly distributing weight on back and arms and also making it easy to put weight on feet/legs for a while.
Yeah, the straight-up sitting position, with all the weight on the bottom and tailbone, just sends lightning up my spine every time I hit a bump, so unfortunately a backrest wouldn't help (though I do have one). If I'm lucky enough to see those bumps in time, I lean forward and no pain at all. It's a pretty telling difference, which is why the FJ1300 will probably be in my garage soon, if not this riding season then next. Too bad, actually, as I really love the cruiser bike I have.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Don't like the Trophy? I can confirm that the engine is a hoot.

I went a phase where I thought I had to have an FJR/Concours but ended up with something different. Personally I think the Concours, especially the new green one, looks better than the FJR, but I like that the FJR sits a little lower. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I currently ride a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 so am a big fan of the Triumph's bikes, but the Trophy is a bit bigger, heavier, and more bells and whistles than I need. It's certainly one that I looked at, though, as I was researching the sports touring segment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anyone have experience with the FJR? Thoughts? Tips?
I had a 2005 and really liked the bike A LOT! Coming from a cruiser to a sportier bike can be difficult to adjust to. There's a lot more pressure of your wrists so risers may be in order. I bought a larger windscreen for more protection and played with the power adjustment way too much when riding. :)

They are totally different animals from cruisers. Don't be afraid to keep the revs up and get into the power band... but when you do, be sure you're watching the gauges! 100mph felt like 60mph on my 2005... and they've only been getting better with the new improvements.

There used to be a ton of great information on this forum: http://www.fjrforum.com/

I haven't visited in a few years though. You won't find many people who dislike the bike. The biggest complaints are around the vibrations at certain speeds and the heat coming off of the motor. The later redesigns have helped a lot (that was one of my major complaints about the first generation FJR) with heat dissipation.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
2 of my buddies have FJR's, one of them is on his second .... they have the power, the comfort and in the 14 and 15 models, the electronic goodies to compete with the upper market sport tourer bikes. The retail prices on these models actually dropped in price from the 13 models. What's not to like, well, maybe a 6 speed transmission.
Yeh, I know its a old post, but I gotta catch up sometime ... right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts