Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've heard that the HLAs can go bad, but I don't think that's it. These same HLAs are used in a lot of different engines. The rocker shafts are unique to the V2K, and I think the screen in the intake shaft is too restrictive and starves the top end of oil. That's where the 1mm hole comes in, as you said, for greater oil flow. This is all just my speculation, but it's backed up by quite a bit of "research" (poking around on the web machine for answers).

I've got about 250 miles on it since the operation and all is well. We'll see in 2K-3K more miles, but I'm hopeful.
Thanks again, Bill for taking the time and effort to report on this issue in such detail. It is greatly needed and much appreciated.

The Lady ('01 Vulcan 1500 Classic) has a similar issue on start up especially if she sets for about a week. I have driven her like that (ever so softly) for several miles and it will eventually clear up. However, my imagination runs wild with all the potential damage it is doing to her. So now, I usually let her idle until the cooling fan kicks on then shut down for a few minutes and it clears up. I figured the oil was completely draining from the top end and causing a tappet to tick. The oil light goes off immediately after starting which puzzles me as to why it takes so long for the oil to get back up top.

So the best solution I have found so far is not to let her sit so long!

Take care...

·
Registered
175 Posts
One of the best how tos I have seen. Glad to hear about the spark plug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
a different ticking approach...

Hey guys, just my two cents,, but I bought one of the first VN2000s in my area and have about 25k miles on it (I have several bikes, so it doesn't get rode that much)... The ticking began at about 10k and it took longer and longer for the engine to smooth out. One day the engine was difficult to crank (turn over with the starter), being the whiz mechanic, I replaced the battery and low and behold it was still hard to turn over. This lead me to look at the probability of the compression release failure. Pulled the cover off and found the compression release solenoid had corroded and stuck... The bike has never been near salt or left in the weather, so this may be a common failure... I took the compression release apart, clean it, polished the shaft, and re-installed it. The ticking is now completely gone. The release was sticking just a little in the open position and several miles later it would work free and the ticking would leave... Hope this fix helps some before they go after the lifters....

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hey guys, just my two cents,, but I bought one of the first VN2000s in my area and have about 25k miles on it . . . . .
This lead me to look at the probability of the compression release failure. Pulled the cover off and found the compression release solenoid had corroded and stuck...
... I took the compression release apart, clean it, polished the shaft, and re-installed it. The ticking is now completely gone. The release was sticking just a little in the open position and several miles later it would work free and the ticking would leave... Hope this fix helps some before they go after the lifters....
Wow thanks for posting, (Edit out) There's always a problem to chase down it seems no matter what the brand or model.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Well now that I think about it, I was visualizing it backwards. If the Kawas use a similar cam lobe centrifical rocker to hold the exhaust valve open a bit on the bottom of the lobe, it would as you said, cause a clicking sound from the tappet hitting the stuck open bottom lobe rocker at higher rpms (where normally it would have shut). That kinda seems like it would damage the Tappet over time (?).

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would think that any kind of high speed collision from the lobe to the tappet certainly wouldn't do any good, unless it was very small like what you would find for a standard lash adjustment in a non-HVA engine.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I would think that any kind of high speed collision from the lobe to the tappet certainly wouldn't do any good, unless it was very small like what you would find for a standard lash adjustment in a non-HVA engine.
This is the Kawa parts list depiction. It kinda resembles what I've seen on Briggs engines with comp release. If I'm assuming correct it's the little tab looking thingy next to the gear. It's a different design than Harley's cam comp rocker levers. And different also from the Vulcan 1700 cam comp mechanism.

Anyhow it appears there are two culprits to the 2053cc Vulcan click. One in the cam and one in the rocker oil flow.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
I haven't had to tear into my engine for anything, but based on what I found in the parts breakdown, it appears there is no gasket between the solenoid cover and cam cover which makes it essentially just a dust cover. It does look like that would be a much simpler fix than having to drop the engine to get the rocker covers off. If mine ever starts ticking beyond just not being ridden for an extended period of time, I hope it's down there and not in the top end that needs attention!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Oh, I checked the compression release solenoid (hoping like hell that it was the problem!) before I went through this.

In the end, I thought it was fun. I like doing things I've never done before. I'd probably be singing a different tune if it didn't start back up after I was done, though.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
TO BILL BRASKE, the man never afraid to try anything new. TO BILL BRASKE!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I do like tearing into stuff and fixing it myself as well, and I agree it is fun, especially when the problem is gone and you know you saved a bunch by taking care of it yourself. With two small children right now, I'm just hoping all of my stuff holds together as the time I used to have to take care of things on my own is now gone.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Oh, I checked the compression release solenoid (hoping like hell that it was the problem!) before I went through this.
Well at least if the issue is solved by the 1mm hole then it would seem a permanent fix. If it's the HLA or cam comp release mechanism gumming up, then it could re-occur down the road. I think regular oil changes and a good small micron oil filter each time might help prevent future issues. Maybe flushing the engine with MMO after winter storage etc, but who knows.

In the end, I thought it was fun. . . . . .
I do like tearing into stuff and fixing it myself as well, and I agree it is fun . . . . . .
It is fun, but would be even more fun if I had a second bike to ride while I'm doing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I became a new member recently to thank Bill for his post he helped me fix my noisy 2006 vn 2000 ltd
Dropped the motor twice the first time I put in 8 new HLAs before finding out about drilling 1 mm holes in filters, Motorcycle is back to normal again and I am releived Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I have a question about this ticking. My bike doesn't tick at all when first starting, but there is a ticking under load, in every gear, but only on low RPM and light throttle. The best example I have is 55 mph in 5th gear, rolling onto the throttle at 1/5th turn. As soon as I hit 57, the ticking stops.

Does anyone have any ideas what that might be? Is it normal? Should I be worried? If I take off hard in 1st gear and keep the rpms up through the gears, I don't hear it. It's only under light load at low rpm...

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
you've got to lower the engine to change the rear spark plug?
m3, no. 3/8 u joint with extension you can work it loose and out. take time to work the joint so it don't bind. 2 minute job. poncho

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,919 Posts
m3, no. 3/8 u joint with extension you can work it loose and out. take time to work the joint so it don't bind. 2 minute job. poncho
I always unbolt the tank, then lift/prop the bolt "end" up. It gives the seat-side plug a few extra inches clearance from the tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hla

hello
I tryed your trick drilling a hole in the filters in the rocker Shafts on my 2006 vn 2000 ltd ran ok for about 6 months and this week the noise is back big time on both cylinders:mad:, I can't stand the it !! I will be taking it apart for the third time this winter , I love the engine and bike when it runs properly . I will be changing my shafts this time . I run 10w40 oil in it do you think I should us 20w50 instead ?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dang Bill, nice work and an excellent write up, awesome. Is there a way we can get the moderators make this thread a sticky???? well worth it really.

Cheers, Andrew
Fantastic write up Bill. Ticking HLAs in any motor drive you mad, its the worse thing ever. I don't have it, but I might check the decompressor just to make sure all is well there.
I second that, to make this a STICKY. There are quite a few things on here that could be stickys to help people find fixes to the common problems, quickly.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I run 10w40 oil in it do you think I should us 20w50 instead ?
v2, some, many, most us run nuthin but 20w50 syn in all our big twin motors. that lite beer/water is for tree huggers trying to save the planet one mpg at a time. step up and put the good stuff in your motor. or not. poncho

21 - 40 of 66 Posts