Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking at some of the sticky's above.... got thinking
(I know that's not a good idea.. but anyway....)

What have you had to fix, and how much was the parts for fixing the 900?

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
So far (10,000 miles) no repairs, just general maintenance (oil, filter, sparkplugs, tires). It's a very reliable bike. Dollars have been spent on mods.... :smile-big:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Had my 900 for 40000 miles. The only things I did to it was simply standard maintenance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I had the Scootworks front pulley put on mine after about 5000 miles. The technician at the Kawasaki dealer put the pulley on and tightened the belt way to tight. 16000 miles later the pulley and belt wore out. $400 for the belt and $169 for a Baron pulley plus tax. DON'T OVER-TIGHTEN THE BELT! Other than that, no problems.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Ignoring upgrades and standard maintenance, the grand total is $165 when my stator failed. $150 for an aftermarket stator, and $15 for a new alternator cover gasket. You could probably include an oil change too because the oil needs to be drained in order to replace the stator; but I had gone like 3,500 miles anyway (typically change every 5k), so it was negligible.

Other'n that, in 30k miles, not a thing. Rode 265 miles today with the wife.

Now don't start asking me how much I've spent on upgrades and accessories, tires, or any of that junk. Because I've intentionally not figured it up! :D

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
30k miles on my '07 custom. The only repair was a fried stator @ 21k. Doing the job myself I spent about $300. That included: stator, regulator, battery, gasket, digital voltmeter, torque wrench, oil & filter. I probably didn't have to change out the regulator, but I figured that for $100 I'd get the Ricks that paired up with the stator. I still saved $700 over the dealer replacement. They quoted $1000 for the stator, plus an oil change.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Back to the stator

I have an 07 and have spent nothing on repairs with the exception to or of regular maintenance, and one set of tires since new. Are there any indications that the Stator may be failing? I have about 20,000 miles on mine nad haven't noticed any thing different.

·
Registered
173 Posts
07 LT. 28000 miles.Only prob has been the stator at 22000. Cost $350 to fix it with Ricks stator and regulator.Just like everyone else the aftermarket and custom stuff is where you will spend your$$$$$$.Enjoy the 9! Great bikes!!!!!!!

S.W. Virginia,Love riding tha twisties in tha Appalachian Mtns!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
sage1965, There's a tell-tale whirring sound that comes from the front left of the crank case. On mine it was loud enough that I could hear it over the stock pipes and engine sounds at 30mph. By the time you hear this, the stator is probably pretty well shot. I first noticed it after my bike failed to start 3 times in a row 400 miles from home on a two day old battery. In retrospect, the first sign of trouble was hard starting in the morning. That was an indication that the battery wasn't fully charged, but I blamed it on the bike getting old and a 3 yr old battery. Once I did the repair, it went back to starting on the first revolution like it did brand new: even in sub-freezing weather.

My best advice is to regulary check the electrical performance. I have a tendency to mis-quote the specs so I'll leave that to experts and manual, but at least once a month I check: 1) battery voltage OFF. 2) battery voltage ON. 3) battery voltage RUNNING. A couple times a season I check the altenator's AC output; hoping to spot a degrading stator before it's critical.

I'm a bit paranoid because I nearly got stranded so far from home. Normally, I would say that if the bike is starting strong and you don't notice any voltage drops (dimming of lights), you're probably fine.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
09 Custom, just replaced a worn front tire.
I hope i'm not cursing myself:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts