Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the seller of my V2k gave me his helmet along with the purchase. it is a pretty decent helmet but unfortunately the helmet reeks of cigarette smoke :mad: (no offense to smokers on here).
I do have my own helmets but i was wondering if there is a way to get rid of the smoke smell from the helmet? hate to just throw away a good helmet. Since i bought the cruiser my wife has been going on rides with me, so i figured till we start riding on a regular basis, she could wear the spare helmet for the time being, but not with that nasty smell inside a FF helmet :eek:
any suggestions??
i know i am being cheap, but in a few months time we shold be spending some money to get my wife good comfortable riding apparel, but for the time being, is there a way to make this one work?

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
...hate to just throw away a good helmet. ....with that nasty smell inside a FF helmet :eek:
.....any suggestions??
i know i am being cheap, ....is there a way to make this one work?
NO, there's no way to make it work! You're not throwing a "good" helmet away, you're throwing a stinky. nasty, used helmet away!
.....you don't really need verification from us, do you?:)

·
Registered
558 Posts
How do you now the helmet is any good? Not only does it have lice, sweat, and cig smoke in it, but how many times has it been dropped? You have no idea. A dropped helmet is useless for protection and you have no idea how many times that dirty a$$ helmet has been dropped. NEVER BUY A USED HELMET if you value your head. It's also kind of like buying used underwear.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Do what you want, but here's my $0.02,

Hygiene aside, I would strongly suggest never buying or using a helmet you've aquired used. Buy it brand new and use it. There are a couple of reasons;

Helmets don't work by being super hard. Asphalt is super hard, that's kind of why we need a helmet. Helmets work by distributing the energy of an impact all around your head to prevent or reduce injury. It does this in two ways, one, with it's semi-rigid/semi-flexible shell, and two (and the important part here) with an internal 'liner' that does quite a bit of work in a crash.

Both the outer and inner shell can be damaged in places with no visible marks. If the helmet had been dropped severely, had things laid on top of it that crushed it, etc., you might not be able to tell, but it might fail in an accident.

Second, the inner shell will over time, 'break in' to the riders head. This could leave gaps in protection to YOUR head.

Like I said, do what you want. Some folks only wear helmets to stay legal so those folks probably wouldn't care what I have to say (the novelty helmet market), but if you ARE wanting to wear it for protection, I would strongly suggest buying a brand new helmet. It doesn't have to be expensive to offer protection!

As far as the cigarette smoke, I don't think that stuff can ever come out. Some miracle of science has created the most permanent product in the world, tobacco smell! I bought my Saturn used about 3 years ago, with 50k miles on it. It had a mild tobacco smell. Now, 3 years later, with 200k miles, IT STILL has a mild tobacco smell. I've steamed it, shampooed it, had it professionally detailed, you name it. It just ain't happening! (Cloth seats too though, that doesn't help at all!)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thankyou for all the comments, i have 3 helmets of my own that i have aquired over the last 16+ years of riding. I was only looking for a stand by helmet for the wife who is a pillion rider. but as most of you have pointed out, i think i will just have her use my helmet for now, till i get her, her own set of riding gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts