Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tubed tires.

Stuck with a slow tire leak out in no where. Since I have yet to have a flat I have no experience with the "fix a flat" products.

Anyone out there try one and how far towards home could you get? Also if it is not a major hole, can you put another can in after the first can leaks out? I know its a mess but in the middle of no where, You got to get help.

Any experiences with fix a flat type of products?

Dan

·
Registered
99 Posts
I haven't tried them myself, but they are supposed to be a temporary fix, not permanent. For the cost of a new tube, take it in and get it replaced. The tires on a bike are a little more important than on a car...

Joel

·
Registered
33 Posts
My question was for small hole or leak does it work well enough to get maybe a hour closer to home or help?

Dan
I know where you are coming from. I have asked this same question several times recently and for some reason.. the forum members just don't get it.
I'll pose the question for you again...

I am on my bike, I am in NO MANS land probably 50+ miles easy from any motorcycle repair shopand since its Sunday afternoon, nobody is open anyway. I just got a flat on my spoked tubed tire. Is there ANYTHING on the market that could get me 50 miles? Is the only solution to call a tow truck?
On a tubeless tire it could be plugged and filled with air (I could carry a small compressor in my saddle bag) but what do you do if you have a spoked wheel with a tube in the tire?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I know where you are coming from. I have asked this same question several times recently and for some reason.. the forum members just don't get it.
I'll pose the question for you again...

I am on my bike, I am in NO MANS land probably 50+ miles easy from any motorcycle repair shopand since its Sunday afternoon, nobody is open anyway. I just got a flat on my spoked tubed tire. Is there ANYTHING on the market that could get me 50 miles?
A new tube surely will..

·
Registered
33 Posts
A new tube surely will..
And there you have it... another rocket scientist response.
I am sure you are being sarcastic BUT IN CASE YOU AREN'T....
What method would you use to get that new tube in the rear tire?

I ordered one of those pocket motorcycle fix-a-flat kits that comes complete with a pocket motorcycle lift, full tool kit and a compressor but it hasn't come in yet. The entire kit can fit in one saddlebag and weighs less than 5lbs. It even comes with a cigar, cutter and twin flame lighterso that you can change your tire like a gentleman.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My question was for small hole or leak does it work well enough to get maybe a hour closer to home or help?

Dan
In case you are still wondering after 2 months I finally have the answer!!!
Just put a new tube in. Its super easy to do on the road. Especially if its your rear tire and you have a drive shaft. Here is how you do it.

Pull out your new tube from your saddle bag. Place it along side your flat rear tire. Now... this is the good part.
Pull out your ruby slippers (they sell them in Kansas), and put them on.
Close your eyes, click your heels 3 times and say "I wish I didn't have a flat tire" and then open your eyes. Jump on your bike and go riding.
Your welcome.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
It's a simple question, really... but I can ask it more specifically.

The guy wants to know if Fix-A-Flat (or a similar product) can be used on a tubed tire to get him home? It's like a yes/no question.

As I have never messed with tubed tires, I can't answer your question, but hopefully simplifying it a bit will help. ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
FYI

Fix-a-flat won't work. This is from their web site, under FAQ.

6. Why can't Fix-A-Flat® be used in bicycles, high performance, motorcycle or Z-rated tires?

Fix-A-Flat® is not intended for these type of tires.

/www.fixaflat.com/

But this one looks to be the ticket. I've never used it, but check out their web site at:

http://www.slime.com/product/82/Tube-Sealant.html

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have seen mixed results with folks I ride with using fix a flat and tubed tires... alot depends on where the puncture is... in the middle of the thread the results were better, but up on or near the side wall it didn't work at all. There is a product called "Slime" that I know several riders who have tubed tires to swear by... you put it in the tire well before you have the flat so to say, but even with it I hear it does not work well on side wall punctures. My wife and I always just spend the $10 a year for the road side service... it'll tow your bike 50 miles or bring you gas if you run out... our next bikes will preferably both be tubeless tires... real easy to carry a plug kit and fix the tire on the side of the road... where as anything like "Slime" or "Fix-A-Flat" is at best a temp fix to get you to where it can actually be fixed... and it is going to cause your wheel to be out of balance.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
And there you have it... another rocket scientist response.
I am sure you are being sarcastic BUT IN CASE YOU AREN'T....
What method would you use to get that new tube in the rear tire?

I ordered one of those pocket motorcycle fix-a-flat kits that comes complete with a pocket motorcycle lift, full tool kit and a compressor but it hasn't come in yet. The entire kit can fit in one saddlebag and weighs less than 5lbs. It even comes with a cigar, cutter and twin flame lighterso that you can change your tire like a gentleman.
See if this helps you out.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
THERE we go! I knew I had heard of something similar in regards to tubed tires (Slime) but couldn't remember the name of it. Most folks agree that it's not a preferred fix, but will help you get to a better location for tire repair in need.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well here is an attempt at an answer. I'm a bicyclist and have to use Slime in my bike tires due to goat heads here in arid New Mexico. It works but is best if the tire is spun to spread the goo over the hole with centrifical force. It does not like real cold weather so can sort of lump up when at temps below 40 degrees. There is a version for motorcycles and cars. I carry a bottle on my dual sport bike (as well as a 12 v pump). I would not advise using slime in the tire until you have the flat. RideOn is a different product and probably preferable (but it is something you place in tire before the flat and it tends to prevent the flat in the first place or minimize it if the object is removed.
If I had a flat and put slime in the tube and then re-inflated the tire I'd get on the road asap to get that slime spun around over the entire tube surface (to find the flat). I would also advise carrying a metal valve stem remover (the valve core must be removed to inject the slime) and the plastic one that comes with the slime bottle is pretty punky (not for an emergency isolated situation where stuff goes wrong). Mind you I've never had a flat on the mc that I needed to use Slime and just carrying it with me probably is adequate protection against such a flat. Breaking a bead and inserting a tube in an mc tire is OK if you are in Mongolia, but try to avoid having to do it on the road or in the boonies if at all possible. Slime just might let you limp home. Or steer around those nails and cactus. Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts