Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm about to fit my booster plug on my Vulcan s. Unfortunately the tips I had were deleted from another forum so I'm going to have to figure out how to lift the fuel tank to plug in the sensor.

https://www.boosterplug.com/images/..._ installation_Kawasaki_650_Vulcan_series.pdf

Can someone advise what I need to unscrew and remove so that I can lift the fuel tank. I have never worked on a bike or car so no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,

I'm about to fit my booster plug on my Vulcan s. Unfortunately the tips I had were deleted from another forum so I'm going to have to figure out how to lift the fuel tank to plug in the sensor.

https://www.boosterplug.com/images/..._ installation_Kawasaki_650_Vulcan_series.pdf

Can someone advise what I need to unscrew and remove so that I can lift the fuel tank. I have never worked on a bike or car so no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks

Lucky I found a copy of the instructions in the forum notification email:)

This is what BigMacDaddy posted.

Put bike on side stand, then

1) Remove seat (easy peasy)
2) detach the plastic trim either side of the fuel tank (one allen bolt and two rubber clips for each one, pull gently but it's easy)
3) remove the plastic trim at the front of the fuel tank/covering the key barrel (four allen bolts, easy)
4) unbolt the fuel tank, two hex bolts front and two rear (dead easy)
5) Now this is where it gets a bit trickier, but certainly not hard by any means. You need to lift the fuel tank up from the right side of the bike, until you can get your hand underneath to where the wires connect to the air temp sensor on the top of the airbox. It's only a few inches gap you need (and I have big hands lol). I then used the box that the boosterplug came in to prop the tank up in that position.
6) You disconnect the plug from the sensor, then plug the same-shaped connector from the boosterplug back into the air temp sensor. The connector you removed initially gets plugged into the other wire on the boosterplug, so that it now intercepts the original signal from air temp sensor to ECU.
7) The third wire on the Boosterplug is for the additional air temp sensor. I ran this along the frame on the right of the bike, past the airbox and up to the rubber bracket that holds the cabling just behind the headlight, it fits quite nicely in that and is out of the way of the engine/rad heat. The boosterplug itself sits quite nicely in the space under the rear of the tank.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Zordon,

How did you go with installing the booster plug ? how are you finding it ?

Thanks for the instructions - it was a relatively easy install - it does help when you have an extra set of hands

First impressions for me so far are very positive - The Popping has decreased quite a bit (I have a delkevic exhaust), the gear changes are butter smooth now & it's alot less jerky in 1st & 2nd gears. Cant comment yet on fuel consumption as i have only ridden it 100kms

One of the better mods i have put on the bike - i highly recommend it

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
One of the better mods i have put on the bike - i highly recommend it[/QUOTE]

When you get a chance see if you can get it to a dyno. I am quite pleased with my exhaust and Boosterplug also. I seem to be getting around 48 +/- MPG on my fuel usage. Keep Riding Ride Safe.:wink2:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Please keep us updated on how the plug works out for you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi guys, i just want to share what i learned from a guy who installed it on a versys 650 and fz07. Be mindful where you place the temperature probe. It can affect the performance and not get the whole benefit. Look for Andy Man Cam Boosterplug when you search on youtube

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Nice review. The install would be similar to our bikes. Nice plug and pray design. Confirms my suspicion that these bikes are tuned very lean from the factory and adding just a bit more fuel solves a lot of the jerkiness in the throttle and the abrupt engine breaking. And as he mentioned it also helps with the shifting of the bike. Maybe this thing isn't all snake oil after all.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's the part i was bit unsure about - where to install it

As you can see from the photo below, that's where i put mine... i'm not sure if its the best spot as it is exposed to the weather elements... anyone who has the installed this can let me know of a better spot to put it (if there is one)

Edit: Hmm i dont think i can post photos yet but i attached it just outside the right hand side of the tank where that rubber thing is holding some of the cables for the brakes & headlight

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You should be able to post photos right away. Just drag the Photo into the "Drag and Drop File Upload" dotted space and Bingo you posted a photo. Does not work the the Mobile App only from a Computer. How do you like it so far? Did it smooth out your jerky throttle?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cheers IndyTom - got it !

So back to my previous post - this is where i installed the boosterplug

I will change them over to black cable ties - I just didnt have any on me at the time of installation :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

I will change them over to black cable ties - I just didnt have any on me at the time of installation :)

Looks like a decent spot where it isn't close to any heat source like the top of the cylinder heads or the radiator. I would hope that the sensor has some zinc coating to resist corrosion. To be sure I would use a light coat of some Anti Corrosion Protectant. I use ACF-50 which works Great and is safe for all electrical connections as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This thread comes just in time for me. Today I've ordered my BoosterPlug. Hopefully it will come within a week. Thanks to all of you for the info provided here!

·
Registered
67 Posts

That's exactly where I have mine fitted - never given me any issues thus far :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Any IAT sensor needs to be mounted out of direct wind; which is why Boosterplug recommendation is back of headlight housing.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's the part i was bit unsure about - where to install it

As you can see from the photo below, that's where i put mine... i'm not sure if its the best spot as it is exposed to the weather elements... anyone who has the installed this can let me know of a better spot to put it (if there is one)

Edit: Hmm i dont think i can post photos yet but i attached it just outside the right hand side of the tank where that rubber thing is holding some of the cables for the brakes & headlight

Sounds like you put it where I did:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
emailed BoosterPlug on location

"Jens Lyck <[email protected]"
The sensor is not sensitive to too much wind or rain (Chill factor is only for human skin - it will not affect the metal sensor)

So as long as you placed the sensor in an area where there is a reasonable air exchange and no influence from engine heat when the bike is at speed, you are perfectly fine.

So this from the guy that made it.. :wink2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
"Jens Lyck <[email protected]"
The sensor is not sensitive to too much wind or rain (Chill factor is only for human skin - it will not affect the metal sensor)

So as long as you placed the sensor in an area where there is a reasonable air exchange and no influence from engine heat when the bike is at speed, you are perfectly fine.

So this from the guy that made it.. :wink2:
Yeah i also emailed them & got the same response, so i wont bother with coating it in anything to protect it

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for quite accurate instructions.

Installed over the weekend and took 15 minutes. Quite easy. Most difficult part was to lift the tank to get to the plug but wife helped holding the tank and then it was easy.

Result?

Excellent improvement. Not asjerky and sensitive throttle anymore. No more abnormal engine breaking.

Much more pleasant ride.

Next on my list now is to decide if I want to buy the Danmoto exhaust. I love the sound but unsure if it will be too loud

I asked Danmoto about the level and they say it is 104 dB

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Thanks for quite accurate instructions.

Installed over the weekend and took 15 minutes. Quite easy. Most difficult part was to lift the tank to get to the plug but wife helped holding the tank and then it was easy.

Result?

Excellent improvement. Not asjerky and sensitive throttle anymore. No more abnormal engine breaking.

Much more pleasant ride.

Next on my list now is to decide if I want to buy the Danmoto exhaust. I love the sound but unsure if it will be too loud

I asked Danmoto about the level and they say it is 104 dB

104 dB at what distance? It really depends on how they measured it. I can tell you one thing. The Danmoto Highwayman is the least expensive but also the loudest exhaust for the Vulcan S. The Two Brothers a close second. If you decide to get it definitely wear ear plugs or you will go deaf or have major hearing loss in a relatively short period of time. All the aftermarket exhausts are going to be extremely loud and since the little 650 revs a lot higher those revs will make it drone at highway speeds which in time will drive you nuts. The least annoying and least Noisy of all the Aftermarket exhaust systems is the Arrow Rebel exhaust system. It is the only one that is approved by the European TüV which means a lot. It is made in Italy and isn't cheap (about the same or less than the TBR exhaust system shipped). So yes, the Danmoto is nice looking and the cheapest of the bunch but those videos on YouTube are misleading. That thing in reality is way way louder than you may think.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts