Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm new to the Voyager 1700 just bought one. I have had Kawi bikes when I was kid and loved them they were great quality and value.

It seems every review I read online rates it as sorta OK in the performance aspect (with a lot lacking) and terrible in the fit finish and quality feel department.

Am I missing something I've owned all sorts of bikes and recently a 2010 HD street glide and I just don't get what all the negative stuff is about regarding the voyager.

Have any of you had latches breaking or "cheap plastic parts" failing? Or your chesnuts cooking?

I seriously doubt it, but I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Can't say as I've had any real issues. Sure they get a bit warm at a standstill or in stop & go traffic but it's a large motor with not much air moving around it. People don't seem to take into account the amount of air flow all the fairing/lowers etc blocks. The trade-off is a few more creature comforts for a little heat. The temp gauge threw me off for a while, but it's no concern.....they just run like that. I say just ride it..

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I've had my 2012 Voyager for 10 months. So far the closest to anything falling off was a screw on the rear of the left side saddle bag lactch was loose about a month ago. Everything else seems to be bolted together pretty good. There are a couple spots where the paint could have been a little thicker, between the backrest and the seat the color coat looks thin. Comparing mine to my brothers 09 Ultra Glide, in the 1st year it failed to start twice, the heel toe shifter stripped only letting him up shift, then losing the shifter completely, and having the rear light wiring harness replaced twice along with rear brake switch once. He also had to have seat recovered due to the cover splitting in a no seam area. This on a bike costing $6000 more. I have 14,264 miles on the Voyager and my only problem so far was blamed on bad gas, was hard to start a couple times but 8 months later, hasnt failed to start everytime. So its not perfect, what bike is?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had my 2010 Voyager for 10 mos. and have only experienced 2 problems. First was a bad radio antenna cable and second was the shift sensor switch (wrong gear indicated on the display). Both were taken care of under warranty without hassle.

There is an issue with the decals on the covers, they deteriorate and detract from the appearance of the bike. Recently Kawi says they have changed suppliers of those parts and seem to be back fitting them on request.

Some ignition wires have chafed at the bottom of the ignition switch column but I think that was fixed in the 2014s.

Enjoy the bike, it's a keeper.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Not your chestnuts, but your right leg will cook with your Voyager.... until you wrap your pipes.... then no more heat issues.... Don't pay a lot of attention the the temp gauge. Normal for the Voyager is middle mark to a little past first mark past middle on a hot day.

The Vaquero and other 1700's do not seem to have the hot leg issues. Different lowers or no lowers.
Next month will be 3 years with my 2011 Voyager. Only issue I had was the hot right leg issue. Wrapped the pipes after I had it a couple weeks, and no more hot leg issues. AND the 5 fading engine decals, which just got replaced.

I had some plastic parts and other parts break 3 days after I bought it when the wind blew it over. About $380 in replacement parts. I did not replace the scratched engine or saddlebag guards... Mirror, had just put on new grips that morning and it folded the throttle grip into a "V", and the chrome piece on the saddlebag hinge, right side. Had to buy a new set of grips to replace the throttle grip. My fairing still has the scratch and small crack on the edge. But unless I mention it no one notices it.

Fit and finish is ok, I have had scoots where it was better, and worse...

I can't imagine any of the latches breaking, they are as good or better than others I have had.

Not everyone is unhappy with their 1700. Regardless of model. I thought the Vaquero was cool, but I am a trunk man. Got to have one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
About 18 Months and only 1 issue

I have only had one issue with my 2011 Voyager, the antenna broke. It kept getting traped in trunk if I was not real carfull and finally broke in heavy winds. The dealer replaced under warrenty with one that can be pivited back to keep from getting caught in trunk. The finish held up quite well in the hail storm I ran into this weekend, far better than I did (ouch). It does runs hot, I have the heat wrap on order and my new Tri-Ovals are at the house waiting on the wrap.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 2009 voyager with 34,000 miles on it. I bought it used with 3000 miles on it three years ago. I do think there are problems with the bike especially when it's supposed to be the flagship bike of Kawasaki. First of all there's a lot of dash rattling, the Stereo just flat out sucks period! The heat this bike puts out is way hotter than the competitors. I have rode HD Ultra Classic, 1800 Goldwing and a Victory Cross Country Tour. Those bikes all had way better sounding Stereos, no rattling from the dash and all cooler on the rider. Also the materials used in the other bikes is thicker and nicer. The Goldwing ran the best but has no leg room. The Hd felt about the same as the Voyager and the Victory handled better IMHO. I won't buy another Voyager nor do I ever recommend it to those who ask me about it. Pay only a few more grand and get a Victory .. It has abs,heated seat and grips standard and overdrive on it has more power then the Voyager. I have yet to see a review that puts the Voyager ahead of the Victory or the HD. Now bash away.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 2009 voyager with 34,000 miles on it. I bought it used with 3000 miles on it three years ago. I do think there are problems with the bike especially when it's supposed to be the flagship bike of Kawasaki. First of all there's a lot of dash rattling, the Stereo just flat out sucks period! The heat this bike puts out is way hotter than the competitors. I have rode HD Ultra Classic, 1800 Goldwing and a Victory Cross Country Tour. Those bikes all had way better sounding Stereos, no rattling from the dash and all cooler on the rider. Also the materials used in the other bikes is thicker and nicer. The Goldwing ran the best but has no leg room. The Hd felt about the same as the Voyager and the Victory handled better IMHO. I won't buy another Voyager nor do I ever recommend it to those who ask me about it. Pay only a few more grand and get a Victory .. It has abs,heated seat and grips standard and overdrive on it has more power then the Voyager. I have yet to see a review that puts the Voyager ahead of the Victory or the HD. Now bash away.
You know, Kelley Blue Book places the trade-in price for your '09 Voyager at almost $7,250. You could always follow your friend's lead and trade your Voyager in for a Victory. I've ridden the Cross-Country Tour and they are sweet bikes. But, I bought a 2013 Voyager because I liked it and I still do like it.

Nothing wrong with you not liking your bike and stating so here, but what I don't understand, probably because I don't know your situation, is that even though you've put 31,000 miles on your Voyager in the three years you've had it, you still want to throw it under the bus on here. If you're not happy with the bike, trade it in for something you do like. Nobody is going to call foul on you for doing so and you'd be happier riding 10,000 miles a year on a bike you like.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well with two kids in college I can't afford to trade it in yet. At the time I bought it it was all I could afford and it was a big upgrade from my 900lt. The problem is it's really lacking in a lot of areas for a so called flagship bike. There is a reason it's cheaper then the competition ... Because it lacks in comparison. I'm glad most everyone likes they're Voyagers..I just don't see the bang for the buck. I will continue to ride it because I love riding, it's just not a product I'm willing to endorse.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I dont know about the voyager but i think my vaquero is an awesome bike. The only issue is the decel popping , other than that i think its well made.. I was looking at the victory cross country @ 19000.00, but the dealer wouldnt give me a good deal. The vaq was a steal @ $13000.00. I just cant justify paying 20 grand for a bike..

·
Registered
701 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If you REALLY care about what other people think or what magazines (that sell advertising space) have to say about your bike; then you probably made the wrong choice.

If you want the most people to ooohh and aaahh over your ride, you should get a Harley.

I rode all of the same bikes that Steelerfan did and the Vision as well; I just came to a different conclusion.

The XCT is HOTTER than the Voyager with KAMS and the '12s had less torque. (I see their spec sheet shows a little more on the '14s though) It also had buzzy boards and bars.

The HD has nice build quality and a little more lean angle. But, at their prices it needed a lot more than it had.

If the Goldwing does it for you then you should get one. I don't think they make a better quality bike. I found it uncomfortable and kinda blah.

The Vision was AWESOME, if my wife had liked the ride from the pillion seat; I would probably have one.

My Voyager speakers only lasted about a year before they started sounding bad, and a lot of people report problems with reception but the head itself is pretty good. Aftermarket speakers and the Ipod cable make for a pretty good stereo.

There is some rattling going on in the fairing. I've heard just as bad on Streetglides though. I took some time with foam adhesive and zip ties and got rid of most of it. After I got my Cobras; it's kinda moot anyway though.

The plastic used for the bags, trunk and lowers is thin. But, any accident that results in those parts hitting hard, is going to break any mfgs plastic. I am VERY certain that my plastic parts will hold up just fine.

Like I've said before; 'If you want the prettiest bike in the parking lot or all the "respect" for owning the right brand of bike, then the Voyager isn't for you'.
If you want a great bike, that competes in performance and will easily last 100K+ miles for a great price, the welcome aboard.

Scott

BTW, OTD prices between the Voyager and the XCT are going to be around 5k.
Five grand will buy some nice speakers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Scott the MSRP of a abs Voyager is 19,399 and the Cross Country Tour is 22,499 only 3100 difference. The Cross Country tour is not nearly as hot as my 2009. I dont have the KAMS. They know heat on the rider is a problem and should offer the system to us with the older models and a very reduced price. Also IMHO the Victory handled better because you set lower in the seat. I dont need anyones respect...I just dont think the Voyager stands up as a flagship bike. If one is buying new the better value to me is the Victory .. standard ABS, heated grips and seat, most storage room in its class, better MPG, better stereo, more aftermarket accessories and American owned. You can't honestly say that when you line up a Ultra Classic, Cross Country tour and a Voyager the difference in build quality is not seen. The Voyager looks cheaper than the others.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had the use of an Ultra Glide last year for a day. The Stereo on that sucked big time. If I turned it up loud enough to hear it was really distorted, and that was only at 60 mph. I asked the dealer about it and got the standard HD answer, 'Ah yes, there's an upgrade available for that......'

The sounds on my Voyager are a million times better than what HD offer as standard.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Keef it must have just been that bike cause the stock stereo on the Voyager sucks compared to stock on HD, Victory and Goldwing. I've been around tons of HD and those stereos all sound much better. There is no way the Voyager sounds a million times better. Your drinking some Kawi Koolaid there. Look i'm obviously not a fan of voyager but even those on here who are can't even say that the stereo system is great...just look at the threads about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
well I have an 2009 voyager with 55000 miles on it. Touching wood . I've never had any problems with it. You can't compare it to a Gold Wing. You can compare it to a Electric glide and a Venture. Your 3 big cruisers. Harley' have adapted some of the Voyagers engineering Ex. Fuel injection and the C.B. hookups. But remember Its a Harley. Priced at $40000 roughly. The venture very top heavy and it's carburated with a cassette deck still. They all have there own quirks. The new voyagers have an exhaust fan underneath the tank. Removes a lot of the hot heat. Might be possible to buy one to fit the earlier models. One of things that kawasaki needs to address would be a larger tank.

Terry

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Scott the MSRP of a abs Voyager is 19,399 and the Cross Country Tour is 22,499 only 3100 difference. The Cross Country tour is not nearly as hot as my 2009. I dont have the KAMS. They know heat on the rider is a problem and should offer the system to us with the older models and a very reduced price. Also IMHO the Victory handled better because you set lower in the seat. I dont need anyones respect...I just dont think the Voyager stands up as a flagship bike. If one is buying new the better value to me is the Victory .. standard ABS, heated grips and seat, most storage room in its class, better MPG, better stereo, more aftermarket accessories and American owned. You can't honestly say that when you line up a Ultra Classic, Cross Country tour and a Voyager the difference in build quality is not seen. The Voyager looks cheaper than the others.
MSRP is a poor comparison. OTD is what matters.
I had a hard time choosing between the VV and the XCT. What can I say. I like Vics. :)
I worked with a couple of Vic dealers. Anything they come down from MSRP, they make up with destination and documentation fees. If you can get them to wave the fees, they stay pretty close to MSRP.
My 2012 VV was roughly 5k less than the 2012 XCT.

Not that price is everything. If the Ultra had set my heart racing; I would have bought it.
But, I don't care to pay more for a bike I don't like any better.

I have a lot of fun on my VV. I am happy with it. When you do trade yours in; you will be a lucky man if you are as happy with whatever you get as I am with my Vulcan. :)

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have never met a motorcycle I did not like. Just a lot that I would not own.

My 2011 Voyager non ABS (because I do not want ABS) was $15,250 out the door. I got $6k for my 2002 Venture with 250k miles. So my out the door was about $9,000. For some a $3100 difference is a deal breaker. I have ridden the Victory lot. To me they are still ugly and the saddlebag storage space is a joke. About enough room for a sandwich. They ride fine. But I just do not like them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts