Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got back from a 3 day trip to the mountains in PA on my used 2010 Nomad. My wife and I both really enjoyed the bike, it's obvious the Nomad is designed for touring. Great ride, comfortable with no butt burn issues, cruise works as it should. My gripe is I think I should be able to use the OD once I get over 75 mph but it seems as though the motor prefers 85 in OD. I'm seriously considering buying the Dobeck fuel controller to get more torque where I need it. The bike runs fine in 5th up to 80 but I really want to take advantage of the torque that HAS to be hiding in there some place. You guys think the Dobeck will bring out the needed torque for OD?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Test ride a concours 1400. Anything you do to your nomad will pale in comparison.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I would rather have more gears than I use than not enough gears.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Guzzi 1200 Griso that will scare me when I want it to. I need the riding position of the Nomad due to back issues but I would like more of that 108 lb.ft. of torque getting to the rear tire.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I have a 2012 Nomad. I was a little underwhelmed by the power, at first. I added a Thunder Manufacturing BAK, Cobra Power Pro tuner, and Vance and Hines Twin Slash cuts. The power is awesome! I can stay in 6th from 65 up, if needed. She isn't a power house, but she will grab some steam and move.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have the Dobeck EJK processor, Chuckster BAK and V&H slip on exhaust. Just ran dyno on the Vaquero and produced 82 hp and 102 ft. lbs. Torque. The throttle response is fantastic and 6th gear is now useable and has roll on power. I can run away from most Harleys now.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I see great results from the dobeck, as well as the PCV, I believe the PCV is good with someone can use a dyno tune. Hockeynuts has had great results with his dobeck, and dyno runs confirmed it.. I think dobeck is more user friendly for the money

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I think my Voyager needs one more gear. I shift into OD about 65 or 70 and wish I had another gear about 80. But, that's with just me on the bike and not in the mountains.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
No Tork = No Tunes

My gripe is I think I should be able to use the OD once I get over 75 mph but it seems as though the motor prefers 85 in OD.
The bike runs fine in 5th up to 80 but I really want to take advantage of the torque that HAS to be hiding in there some place.?
at,no. torque does not hide. its either there or its not. Nobody wants to hear this because you got $kin in the$e motor$.. but if you had a v2k you would not be singing these blues.. poncho

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Welcome to our world. And it won't be the only time you break out the old credit card.

Steve you kill me with the "Hockeynuts" thing..lmao :D

you can call me Ken.
Hahaha. .they come in pair's don't they, you don't go to a game by yourself. . Lol

Actually, I need to apologize, phone added the S..I just lqleft it there.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
at,no. torque does not hide. its either there or its not. Nobody wants to hear this because you got $kin in the$e motor$.. but if you had a v2k you would not be singing these blues.. poncho
Completely different animal. The Nomad doesn't have the power of the 2k, but it's also a lot more tour and comfort friendly, IMO. You buy the 2k because it has stupid power. You buy the Nomad for comfort and miles. That's what I did, anyways. The 2k never fit my riding style. The Nomad, is amazing.

Welcome to our world. And it won't be the only time you break out the old credit card.

Steve you kill me with the "Hockeynuts" thing..lmao :D

you can call me Ken.
Somehow, I think Hockeynuts will stick...

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Completely different animal. The Nomad doesn't have the power of the 2k, but it's also a lot more tour and comfort friendly, IMO. You buy the 2k because it has stupid power. You buy the Nomad for comfort and miles. That's what I did, anyways. The 2k never fit my riding style. The Nomad, is amazing.
Kaw new bagger platform is amazing and they did well with their offering.. except they chose to use a short stroke motor v17 that is smooth and comfy but has no tork (balls) but will make reasonable hp if you spin it.. not crazy stupid power.

Kaw dropped v2k platform as it was too large a frame for most public. the motor is a Big Bore Long Stroke and makes a ton of Tork.. there is nothing Stupid about it. it is not Crazy Fast or Scarey. it is just Strong pulling power on tap everywhere all the time.. How you use it is your business. The bike itself is nothing special to write home about. The Motor IS. itsa just a shame that Kaw doesn't know a good thing when its in their hands. They could just as easily put the v2k motor in their new bagger platform series and You and Cycle world would be raving about how such a nimble platform handles and yet still has Gobbs of Power (slow rpm Tork) that will pull a plow(trailer) fully loaded(passenger and gear) straight up a mountain in any gear at any time..
Yeah that's what I am saying, Kaw doesn't know they have/had a GrandSlam winner in their portfolio.. its not like I don't have a ton of other bikes to compare this to and be making these statements.. it is just a fact. TORK is USEABLE power.. either you have it or you don't.. v17 don't. ponchout

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Part of the problem I think is how steep the gears are and riders not being used to that. Keep it above 2,000 RPM's, or about 2,500 RPM's if it's hillier, and you'll be fine. Trying to pull at 1600 RPM's is just not gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Kaw new bagger platform is amazing and they did well with their offering.. except they chose to use a short stroke motor v17 that is smooth and comfy but has no tork (balls) but will make reasonable hp if you spin it.. not crazy stupid power.

Kaw dropped v2k platform as it was too large a frame for most public. the motor is a Big Bore Long Stroke and makes a ton of Tork.. there is nothing Stupid about it. it is not Crazy Fast or Scarey. it is just Strong pulling power on tap everywhere all the time.. How you use it is your business. The bike itself is nothing special to write home about. The Motor IS. itsa just a shame that Kaw doesn't know a good thing when its in their hands. They could just as easily put the v2k motor in their new bagger platform series and You and Cycle world would be raving about how such a nimble platform handles and yet still has Gobbs of Power (slow rpm Tork) that will pull a plow(trailer) fully loaded(passenger and gear) straight up a mountain in any gear at any time..
Yeah that's what I am saying, Kaw doesn't know they have/had a GrandSlam winner in their portfolio.. its not like I don't have a ton of other bikes to compare this to and be making these statements.. it is just a fact. TORK is USEABLE power.. either you have it or you don't.. v17 don't. ponchout
I wasn't trying to start an argument. I was never a fan of the 2k motor. I had trans problems and knocking in the top end. At the end of the day, people will love and hate everything in the world. I wasn't impressed. That's just me, so we should probably let the conversation die there.

As for the 1700, you can't go wrong, and with the basic 3, you'll make enough power to keep you happy. That is, unless you are looking for something to race with.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
As for the 1700, you can't go wrong, and with the basic 3, you'll make enough power to keep you happy. That is, unless you are looking for something to race with.
no argument. kaw bagger platform is muey vonderbah... minus the motor. having to put 3 mods to any motor just to be happy with it seems much.. I understand that many want more power because they are tinkerers, but do they need it? v2k motor, no.

as for Racing, wt#? v2k is no race motor. it is a tractor motor. you want to race, drag or otherwise, get you a busa or some other rocketmotor.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think the Voyager would be a lot better of a bike with the v2k motor. Overdrive sucks on the 1700. I agree with Poncho having to do three mods to get a little gain is a waste.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
no argument. kaw bagger platform is muey vonderbah... minus the motor. having to put 3 mods to any motor just to be happy with it seems much.. I understand that many want more power because they are tinkerers, but do they need it? v2k motor, no.

as for Racing, wt#? v2k is no race motor. it is a tractor motor. you want to race, drag or otherwise, get you a busa or some other rocketmotor.
I feel the same way about having to import gears from another country and tear into the bike to make it geared the way you want it when you could just buy a bike that's geared ride from the Factory like a 1700 :D:D

We all tweak our bikes. I'm fine with the power and, having ridden a V2K, I prefer the lower highway RPM's, smoother operation, etc. A V2K in this touring platform would be pretty cool though, if the transmission kinks and output shaft issues could be fixed, a good 6 speed could be thrown in, and they could smooth it out a bit. Plus, it'd be the largest displacement touring bike on the market at 125 cubic inches. The only other way you can get a motor that big is swapping a crummy S&S 125" motor onto an FLH chassis.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My 04 Kingpin 92" made more power and Torque than the Kaw 103" with pipes air kit and controller. BUT which one would I rather ride all day long....

Different annimals.. the 1700's are just all around great rides...

gb

1 - 20 of 30 Posts