Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first service is scheduled for wednesday, I have 825 miles on my bike. Should I stop riding until then? I'm like a puppy with a boner and want to ride more! lol

·
Registered
208 Posts
I personally would go and get some Mobil 1 20/50 synthetic oil and a Mobil 1 M1-108 filter. Change the oil (pretty easy) and check over your bike for loose bolts and proper operation. That is basicly your first service and it saves your money. I have directions on how to do the oil, but they are on another forum and I don't want to affend anybody here. Of course I didn't do a search on this forum yet to see if there are directions, which I am sure there are.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I personally would go and get some Mobil 1 20/50 synthetic oil and a Mobil 1 M1-108 filter. Change the oil (pretty easy) and check over your bike for loose bolts and proper operation. That is basicly your first service and it saves your money. I have directions on how to do the oil, but they are on another forum and I don't want to affend anybody here. Of course I didn't do a search on this forum yet to see if there are directions, which I am sure there are.
+1. Use whatever oil you want (mine's got Honda oil in it!:D) but it's not that big a deal to do that first oil change. The filter's kind of a pain to get to, but it's not that bad.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I rode mine to just short of 1000 miles before I hit for 1st service, and the mechanic shrugged, smiled, and said it didn't hurt anything. I, for one, though, recommend having the 1st service done at the shop, just for warranty reasons. If something does go wrong, it makes for an easier process with Mama-Kawi covering everything. Plus, if it's a reputable establishment, their mechanics know what they're looking for because of their experience with lots more of the same type of bike. :) After my 1st service, however, I took over on all maintenance (oil changes, air filter, etc.), keeping accurate service logs with receipts and photos of the mileage.

Just my .02, which is probably worth only .01. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I sorta figured I would let them get the first one, and then I would take it from there. I've seen the how-to on the vulcan for the oil, and I do my jeep on occasion, so what it boils down to is I guess I'll keep her in the garage until wednesday, no need to push anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts