Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 900 classic SE, I have 550km on it now and I am about to do its first oil change, and was wondering on what type of oil I should use...? should I use the best oil I can find or should I wait untill after its next service?? and besides the oil change what other things should I be checking?? any help would be awesome!! :)

Blair

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I have a 2011 900 classic SE, I have 550km on it now and I am about to do its first oil change, and was wondering on what type of oil I should use...? should I use the best oil I can find or should I wait untill after its next service?? and besides the oil change what other things should I be checking?? any help would be awesome!! :)

Blair
I plan to do things myself as much as possible, but I let the dealer do the first service. It was around $200, but worth it (to me at least)

Rod

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am partial to 10/40 Amsoil and have always used it on my 06'vulcan 900 classic. It's a little more pricey but worth it for what you get. Everyone has their favorites,but you can read other threads on this here about it,and do a little research on the different oils to make a decision to which oil you think is best for your bike

·
Registered
455 Posts
MobilOne Racing 4T

Their other MC oil is for air cooled. V-Twin is the name I believe.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I checked my bike from head to toe between 200 - 300 miles. I also changed the oil and filter. Synthetic Jaso-labled motorcycle oil. I will change the oil again at 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you don't already have one, have a battery tender charger pigtail installed to your battery. Bike will start first try most of the time. Add life to your battery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I went and had my bike serviced by Kawi.... it had 566km on it when I brought it in...

dropped it off at 9am and told them its the first service......

picked it up at 5pm....

they told me other that the oil change and oil filter change would cost me $200

but they went over the whole bike and found NOTHING wrong with it and that also cast me $200

400 + taxes =

so for my first service it cost me almost $500 for an oil change......

I could have bought the oil filter for $18 and 3L of synthetic Kawi oil for $35

so, after taxes it came to $60...... so I paid an extra $440 for them to say ...:"all is well:"

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did my own 600 mile service. The filter St6607 cost $2.80 and the oil 4 Qts. of Rotella T6 cost $19.50. Checked the bike over for loose parts...none found. Added a $5.80 Fiamme horn. This is my cost so far. I have 2200 miles on it. I don't know if I will ever have the valve clearance checked as long as the motor runs good. The valve clearances tend to close up from wear so when the engine stops ticking or misses then that will be a consideration. No one here as far as I have read ....having their valves checked required shims to adjust. It's at least partially true. "don't break what is not broke." When you start talking hundreds of dollars for maintenance I question the value. If you are the least mechanically inclined I think you will be aware of most impending problems.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have put a charger pigtail on. It's good for two things jump starting the battery and charging a low battery or trickle charging during the winter. I was told by a local bike shop owner that he trickle charges his batteries during the off seasons and his batteries can last 7 years or more.

·
Registered
295 Posts
So, I went and had my bike serviced by Kawi.... it had 566km on it when I brought it in...

dropped it off at 9am and told them its the first service......

picked it up at 5pm....

they told me other that the oil change and oil filter change would cost me $200

but they went over the whole bike and found NOTHING wrong with it and that also cast me $200

400 + taxes =

so for my first service it cost me almost $500 for an oil change......

I could have bought the oil filter for $18 and 3L of synthetic Kawi oil for $35

so, after taxes it came to $60...... so I paid an extra $440 for them to say ...:"all is well:"
Holy crap, dude! :eek: Did they kiss you afterwards? I hate it when I get screwed and don't get kissed! Makes me feel slutty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy crap, dude! :eek: Did they kiss you afterwards? I hate it when I get screwed and don't get kissed! Makes me feel slutty.
lol, ya no they didnt even buy me a drink first.... oh well its done now, so I have the piece of mind that if anything goes wrong it will be covered by warranty... next service @ 1600km I will be doing myself though :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
lol, ya no they didnt even buy me a drink first.... oh well its done now, so I have the piece of mind that if anything goes wrong it will be covered by warranty... next service @ 1600km I will be doing myself though :D
Good for you. It's not that hard. The biggest "problem" is getting to that damn oil filter. It's behind the voltage regulator, or rectifier or whatever it is! Other than that it's pretty simple. :D

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I just had my first service done a little over a month ago.
It was about $209 for the oil change and full bike service.

I think you should look into a different dealer...

Rod

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just had my first service done a little over a month ago.
It was about $209 for the oil change and full bike service.

I think you should look into a different dealer...

Rod
yea, they are the only dealer in town... and I only went there for warranty reasons... but Ive been doing some homework on bike services, and I will be doing my own from now on... at least "try" :D and if I have any questions Im sure I will ask around on this site before I attempt anything that I feel is out of my comfort zone, and after checking over what the dearship did... I found my oil drain plug was loose!!....well it was probably finger tight... and it was weaping a bit of my new oil..... hmph

1 - 16 of 16 Posts