Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be having my first service on the 900 done soon. My dealer quoted 255.00 plus 35.00 in parts. Seams high to me. What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think you need to bring a big tube of ky with you when you go.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think you aught to get a really nice dinner and maybe a movie and some flowers and candy BEFORE, and a really nice kiss AFTER...:rolleyes:

I'm actually something of a proponent for dealers doing a thorough "once over" for newly purchased scoots, after the rider has clocked between 700 and 1,000 miles on the bike. My "overpriced" Harley came with the first service for free - which I let them do. Their service charges thereafter were reasonable - actually, cheap compared to the prices I've seen for Kawi service charges...But I bought a manual and some outsized metric sockets (VRSC is a metric bike....:D ) and I'm richer now in cash, tools, and knowledge about my bike.
BUT....that's what worked for ME.

For YOU...
I see 2 potential problems.

1. The price is waaaaaay too high. I wouldn't pay HALF that IF they did EVERY check...by the book.
2. The dealer may not (probably won't - if you ask me!) actually take the time to do all of the checks as prescribed by the manual - which would leave you with a $290 dent in your wallet for an oil change that you can do with a 10 & 17-mm wrench, 25 minutes of your time, and $20 dollars worth of oil/filter...$30 if you use OEM stuff.:D

My advise:
Put $290 in a piggy bank, and buy a manual, a MC jack, a torque wrench, and some metric Allen wrenches and sockets. I'll betcha Harbor Freight and eBay can get all that done for you for and maybe have enough left over for a belt tension gauge. JMHO.

If you decide that you want a wrench to look at your bike-I'd shop that price around a bit. You should be able to get it done for less than $290...a LOT less!

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I thought it sounded really high. I have all the tools for the job except the manual, belt tentioner gauge and lift.

I just want to make sure my warranty will still be intact.

I might just do it all myself.........:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
For me, if the bike is brand new, I'd eat the cost and have the dealer do the first service making darn sure they check EVERYTHING. It's kinda a CYA for any potential warranty issues that come down the road. Then I'd get the service manual and do it myself from then on, making sure to document and keep receipts for all service.

Warranty repairs can be a B&*(# if you have to prove that you did scheduled maintenance.

A lot depends on how comfortable you are with the dealer and how knowledgeable their service staff is.

·
Registered
711 Posts
They really don't do anything other than new oil, filter and visually inspect everything else. You can do your own oil in just a few minutes for about $50 if you get high name brand oil and filter. It cost me about $18 using a Fram filter and Rotella 15-40.

·
Registered
138 Posts
TennesseeXD, ask the dealer if that includes a valve check. It sounds a lot like a first service with valves quote to me.

You do not need the valves checked at the first service on the 9. If they are quoting valves in that price it should bring the cost down to about $180 plus parts and tax.

If the first service dealer quote is fair, it is a good thing to let them do the service. As mentioned above, if there is a warranty issue down the line, Kawi can use the fact that the bike was not serviced by a professional and void the warranty.

My two cents

·
Registered
231 Posts
<snip!>....
If the first service dealer quote is fair, it is a good thing to let them do the service. As mentioned above, if there is a warranty issue down the line, Kawi can use the fact that the bike was not serviced by a professional and void the warranty.
My two cents
I agree with the first part - letting the dealer do the first maintenance is a good practice, since you're the least familiar with your new ride for the first 1K, and you probably haven't had time to poke and prod on the bike while you're savoring those first rides.

However (comma!) ANY dealership that suggests, implies, or even strongly hints that THEY have to do the maintenance or your factory warranty is voided is misleading you at the very least! (and should be avoided like the crooks that they probably are IMHO!)
There's a law on the books called the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act that deals with scams like this.
This is not to say that you can't screw something up and void your warranty by improperly servicing your bike - but I personally will avoid ANY dealings with dealers that try to strong-arm me into buying into the myth that "they" have to swing the wrenches.

JMHO... :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
I will be having my first service on the 900 done soon. My dealer quoted 255.00 plus 35.00 in parts. Seams high to me. What do ya'll think?
I just had the 12,000 mile, plus the valve adjustment done for less than that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok update here......They quoted the wrong price. Got it done for 150.00 plus oil and filter @ 35.00.

·
Registered
138 Posts
They were probably including a valve job in the other quote. What you paid is about what I'd pay at my dealer for the service you just had done.

Be glad you don't have a Harley. Their service gets pretty ridiculous.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Your revised price is about what I paid for mine...think it was around $170.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The shop I bought mine at wanted $270 (with a 6 week lead time! I had 400 miles in 3 days). When I balked at the price he pointed out that it included a valve clearance check. Problem is you don't need the clearance checked for 7500 miles. I had another shop do the necessary checks for $130 the day after I called.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hate to think that so many people are getting screwed over by their dealer! The 600 mile inspection is supposed to be FREE, at least according to my dealer. I took mine in for the first inspection/service, (oil change) and was charged $58 and some change! Have done my own oil change since then, switching to a syn/dino blend, Honda I believe, purchased with an oem filter from the same dealer. If anyone is interested, that would be David Brown Sports Center in Amarillo, Tx.
No, I do not work for or are being paid to advertise, I just think a good dealer deserves a pat on the back when it is deserved.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did my own inspection and changed the oil ($19.50 Rotella 5W-40 T6 Synthetic) and a (super tech filter $2.80). Unless you suspect a problem, then take it back to the dealer. The valves will gradually tighten up over time but most never have them adjusted. Usually the less you mess with something the less trouble you will have.

·
Banned
161 Posts
I paid $120.00 and he checked tires oil changed with synthetic oil and a new filter and installed windshield. Also, included three bolts that fell off the bike.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you choose to perform your own maintenance remember to add some grease to the three fittings underneath. Most 900's are shipped virtually dry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts