Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today, in spite of the "polar vortex", I thought I'd ride my 900 and see how my winter gearup works.

Whew it was COOOOLD! 10 degrees F with overcast + a little snow. :cool:

30 minute commute each way... number of other bikes I counted: 0. hehe. I'm either hard-core or (more likely) insane. :rolleyes:

Interestingly, the only two issues were:
1) wind coming up into my full-face (I need to get a chin curtain apparently), and
2) my gloves just don't cut it.

I've got some nice, leather-ish ski gloves which worked well in the 30s/40s, but didn't cut it at 10F.

But with these: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/962/15583/Tusk-Hand-Mitts?term=tusk mitts
I think I'll be ok. And I bought a chin curtain that should work for my helmet.

Then, the only thing keeping me off the road would be the road itself (snow/ice/etc). Otherwise, it's year-around if I can make it happen. I only got the bike this summer so we'll see how it goes. :D

I write this to remind anyone that if you are going to ride in the cold, make sure you solve your hands issue... whether it's via gloves, heated gloves, heated grips, hippo hands/mitts, or wind blockers/fairings. Especially as I work on a computer for a living... and it was a little rough the first hour as my hands thawed. Definitely have to fix this one.

Any other cold-weather tips/stories?

-Danimal :glasses-cool:

· Banned
182 Posts
I took a November 11th ride here in Western Pennsylvania too but I was in a T shirt in 69 degree sunshine Ha Ha! Getting the hard snow crap starting tomorrow though. Most likely this will be the last ride I get till next spring.

· Registered
108 Posts
Seirus Innovations Thermax Glove Liners

1.) fit like second skin
2.) they work
3.) about $12

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018BJS8K/ref=s9_hps_bw_g468_ir02?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-9&pf_rd_r=1DDMWJ0FS3FF9HTGM6Q2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1865631462&pf_rd_i=3041168011[/ame]

· Registered
3,894 Posts
While on this subject, any recommendations/comments on heated gear? Mainly thinking vest vs jacket, and pants with either. Not looking for anything batteryoperated, will be wired to bike. Thinking 1st for passenger, then maybe me. Will be used on a 12 Voyager, so not overly concerned about eletrical load, within reason.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Surely agree about the hands. Now those hand protectors are really neat. Be sure and let us now how they work for you.
You got it!

A co-worker who's a long-time rider recommended those exact ones. He apparently road year-round here in CO (Golden, CO) cause his bike was his only transportation. I figure he must have all the right tips, hard-learned.

The storm is getting worse this week but hopefully next week I'll get some riding in and by then the mitts should be here.

· Registered
34 Posts
Got a great ride in today.60 degrees today in southern New Hampshire.but the artic blast is on it's way I guess by Thursday.So looks like it's time this week to winterize the bike and put her away for another season.It was a good riding season this year had some really nice rides.Let's hope the winter flys by.

· Registered
181 Posts
I'm used to Florida weather and a couple of months ago moved to Dallas. Today my commute was very chilly, temperature in the lower 40s

Gloves it's a must, I had bon perforated leather ones but need something better. I will try a winter pair I have.

I'm not planning to stop riding 'cause a chilly breeze!!!!

· Premium Member
3,662 Posts
I had a pair of these "Hippo hands" years ago .... made out of canvas with a blanket liner .... cuts the wind and rain right out of the picture ... but you will still need winter gloves .... try looking at some heated grips .... yes they work well, but remember, you get what you pay for. I have no heated gear ... but I do have winter riding / touring gear .... a lined 3/4 coat is a must ... covers the back, lined touring pants, decent sock and footwear. Buy oversize gear .... you can layer underneath with clothing and you still will have room to move ..... I also use a neck sock .... tucked into a full face helmet, it cuts the up draft to zero.

Remember ... cold weather riding requires a different riding style .... tires will not come up to anywhere near normal operation temps .... traction will be reduced along with braking distances, 4 wheelers will not expect you to be out there on the roads and fatigue sets in quicker than summer riding. Then there is the dreaded wet leaves all over the place. I'm not saying don't do it ... just make sure you have your head in the game when you do.

And the day before this shot, it was 80F ....

· Registered
918 Posts
I had my first serious winter ride Tuesday morning. I live only a few minutes from work; but the 50 MPH crosswinds kept blowing me over 2 lanes of traffic while traveling 40 MPH and it was 19 degrees out with windchill! Tonight is even colder! 21 out now and it feels like 6. Glad I didn't ride tonight.

· Registered
576 Posts
When the temps drop I get out the thermal lined leather gauntlet gloves (A must have item! Gauntlet's ROCK!!!) and put a "HotHands" ( [ame]http://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Warmers-40-pairs/dp/B0007ZF4OA[/ame] ) pouch in each one and also one in each boot on top of my foot (right under the tongue). As long as some air can circulate around (gloves are a little big and boots tied loose) my hands and feet are nice and warm. When I get to where I'm going I take the pouches and put them in a zip lock bag, squeezing all the air out of the bag before sealing it. See, the pouches warm up with air current. No air and they "turn off". When I'm ready to go again, just pull them out of the baggie and they warm right back up. For a half hour commute you can make 4 pouches last all week!

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When the temps drop I get out the thermal lined leather gauntlet gloves (A must have item! Gauntlet's ROCK!!!) and put a "HotHands" ( http://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Warmers-40-pairs/dp/B0007ZF4OA ) pouch in each one and also one in each boot on top of my foot (right under the tongue). As long as some air can circulate around (gloves are a little big and boots tied loose) my hands and feet are nice and warm. When I get to where I'm going I take the pouches and put them in a zip lock bag, squeezing all the air out of the bag before sealing it. See, the pouches warm up with air current. No air and they "turn off". When I'm ready to go again, just pull them out of the baggie and they warm right back up. For a half hour commute you can make 4 pouches last all week!
Phillip,

That's a great suggestion! I just saw a large pack of these at Costco last night. I might go back and pick 'em up.

I was gonna get the gauntlets but I'm giving the hippo-hands style mitts a try first. If that works, then I'm good to go.

The only two cold things for me were hands and part of my face... due to updrafts through the full-face helmet. But I bought the mitts and a chin curtain. If they both work, then I'm all set! Of course I'm not riding anymore this week... we are down to 2 degrees F now and heading into the negative teens overnight. Plus the roads are now snowy/icy. I hope this passes soon... itching to get back on the ride!

(btw, I just realized that my signature is a little silly this time of year.... maybe it should be "the _warm_ wind in my face". hehe.

· Registered
155 Posts
I ride in the winter and find a set of heated grips and hand guards work great for keeping the finger warm and operational. A set of bark Busters run about 108 for any bike. In the end use what works for you.

· Registered
576 Posts
I was gonna get the gauntlets but I'm giving the hippo-hands style mitts a try first. If that works, then I'm good to go.
Hope those work for you.

The gauntlets are good because they keep cold air from getting up your sleeves. If the Hippo Hands do that then you're all set!

Heated grips would be nice, but Drifters only have a single stator, so I have to be conservative with the power usage.

· Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Well after getting 18" of snow over the last 2 days, I'm done for the season ... their fueled, the conditioner is in , the covers are on , the trickle chargers are running and I'm depressed.
Could be worst I guess ... In Buffalo N.Y., they got 5 ft of snow, expect more today, then on Friday they are expecting temps in the 40's and rain.

· Premium Member
74 Posts
My fiance and I just picked up some cold weather gear at Cycle Gear near Milwaukee. Waterproofed and warm gloves by Bilt 50% off. Also got Freezeout undergarments there too, 80% off. Amazing stuff. The misses is ready for a cold weather ride now. I would recommend checking out everything that is on sale.

· Registered
382 Posts
Am getting Edie heated gear from Motorcycle super store, Firstgear jacket liner and pants liner. Its either that or the suit in the pic below.
Hi Rick
That's pretty funny! I hope it has gloves and boot liners to match :)

I'm guessing Edie will be warm in the Firstgear stuff...

WEG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.