Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode trail bikes 45 years ago as a kid. Took MSF course in May. Bought a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom SE 10 days ago. Have been practicing when able between then and today. This morning was my first time commuting on a motorcycle.

25 miles each way from home to work, which also makes it my longest jaunt so far. 60 degrees when I was leaving the house, and temp will be in the 80s for the ride home. Put on all my gear for this ride. Gloves (love the finger vents), jacket with liner and armor for elbows, back and shoulders, 3/4 helmet, and boots. Laptop and other work debris into the backpack and hit the road.

Lessons learned:
- 60 degrees can be cool when going 50mph
- 10 years of driving the same roads in my truck did not teach me many of the things about them which are important when on a motorcycle.
- Rush hour changes everyone's attitudes, making it much different than the same roads at a different time of day.
- I really like this bike.
- Putting on and removing the riding gear adds several minutes (not complaining, just noting) to my commute. Will improve with practice.
- If you don't have time to pack a lunch in the morning, there will be a reason to ride at lunch-time.
- I really like this bike.
- Fog condensing on a visor can quickly become dangerous.
- Riding can turn a commute from an annoyance to an opportunity.
- Oh, and did I mention, I really like this bike.

Questions:
- how to deal with the sudden fogging of the visor? I was 45 minutes into the 1-hour ride when, over the span of about 15 seconds, my visor went from clear to opaque. For the next 15 minutes I had to continually wipe the visor with my finger (not acceptable) just to be able to see where I was going.
- I don't like looking away from the road to check if I left my turn signal on, so end up turning it off several times (except when I totally forget and leave it on). Is there a good way to put an indicator somewhere above the speedometer where it is easier to see?

I am looking forward to my ride home, and won't be surprised if it is longer than the ride to work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad you are enjoying it ... it is a good bike but I'm biased ...

As far as the fogging of your shield ... I'd suggest you invest in a pair of shatter resistant glasses with the foam on them that "seals" them around your eyes. I have a clear pair (night) and an amber colored pair (day).They seem to work for me although I have had beads of sweat get in there and I even had a bug get in there once while I was riding. I'm not sure how it got in there but ... it did. I finally had to pull over and stop to get it out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nice my ride to work is about 40 miles. I havent had a issue with fogged glass but have heard spit,baby shampoo,toothpaste and shaving cream(applied then cleaned off) helps reduce fogging

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I think the fogging issue that he was referring to wasn't a result of breath, but a result of riding in actual fog, which condenses on the outside of the visor, hence the wiping off with his finger periodically. That being said, I've tried all of the "remedies" and what works for the OUTSIDE of my riding glasses is rain-x. When I ride into patchy fog, the water that condenses on my glasses just beads up and rolls away. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. The problem was from condensation on the outside of the visor. There was fog earlier in the morning, but it had burned off before I started the ride. I think that the ride kept my visor cool, so when I ran into an area of higher humidity it quickly condensed on my visor.

I will look into rain-x, but do not want to put something on my visor which may cause it to discolor.

Now about those turn indicators...

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I never thought about using rain-x but ... that's a good idea and I will definitely try it. That's why I read this forum ... lol.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Yes. The problem was from condensation on the outside of the visor. There was fog earlier in the morning, but it had burned off before I started the ride. I think that the ride kept my visor cool, so when I ran into an area of higher humidity it quickly condensed on my visor.

I will look into rain-x, but do not want to put something on my visor which may cause it to discolor.

Now about those turn indicators...

Thanks
I use Rain-x on my full helmet shield as well as the riding glasses I wear when I wear my half helmet and it hasn't discolored them. Let me be clear when I say I use rain-x. I have been using the rain-x washer fluid that goes in cars. It cleans the visors and glasses well, and leaves the benefits of the rain-x water repellent on the lenses and visors. Worked great on my 800 classic's windshield too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use Rain-x on my full helmet shield as well as the riding glasses I wear when I wear my half helmet and it hasn't discolored them. Let me be clear when I say I use rain-x. I have been using the rain-x washer fluid that goes in cars. It cleans the visors and glasses well, and leaves the benefits of the rain-x water repellent on the lenses and visors. Worked great on my 800 classic's windshield too.
DoomCrewInc - thanks. We use the rain-x washer solution in our cars so have some in the garage, I will try it on the visors. Do you wipe it on with a clean cloth, put it in a spray bottle, or what?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Old

LOL, your story got me chuckling when I remembered the first time I rode to work on the same road I had been using for 12 years in a pickup.....:D
As for the turnsignals, the best process is to just get in the habit of pushing the lever in with your thumb immediately after grabbing the clutch to gear up after the turn. I have two other bikes that have self cancelling signals and I do it with them too. Pretty soon it is just part of the process, like putting your foot down when you stop:eek:

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I put it in a spray bottle. Then I spray down the shield and/or lenses with a good wet coat and let it "sit" for a few minutes, then wipe off with a clean soft cloth. It takes a few applications before you reach the desired effect, but once it is reached, it's a world of difference. Glad I could help and safe riding!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like what I went through. Licensed 45 years ago, have not rode in 30. Got my 900 in April, MSF in May, commuted to work and took rides, leaving that darn turn signal on for miles!, turning a 15 mile commute to 80 miles. Enbarked in a 650 mile weekend trip in June and enjoying every mile. Be Safe!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ride to work everyday 50 miles each way and I can tell you Rain X is king. I also have the problem with the turn signals so don't think its just you. My last bike had self cancelling signals and it spoiled me. Now I find myself either forgetting it for miles or constantly hitting it to cancel them even when I don't use them just to be sure.

·
Registered
199 Posts
As far as the time added putting gear on, use the time productively. I lay everything on my bike, turn it on, and by the time I have my bluetooth synced, and my jacket, helmet and gloves on, it's just finishing its warmup "fast-idle" sequence, and not a minute is wasted!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
LOL, your story got me chuckling when I remembered the first time I rode to work on the same road I had been using for 12 years in a pickup.....:D
As for the turnsignals, the best process is to just get in the habit of pushing the lever in with your thumb immediately after grabbing the clutch to gear up after the turn. I have two other bikes that have self cancelling signals and I do it with them too. Pretty soon it is just part of the process, like putting your foot down when you stop:eek:
I added Rivco Turnsignal Mirrors to my 900. Looks great. Easier to see when I leave the signal on. A bit pricey though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I added Rivco Turnsignal Mirrors to my 900. Looks great. Easier to see when I leave the signal on. A bit pricey though.
Give a serious look at the Kisan SignalMinder. Best $100 I spent. You'll never have to worry about leaving your turn signals on again, plus you get some nice safety features like rear running lights and 4-way emergency flashers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts