Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
July 3rd was one year since my accident and on July 6th I had the opportunity to get on a buddies Vstar 1100 and go for a ride, I might say I did pretty well shifting with the prosthetic leg. I hope this link works cause I just wanted share with all the great people from this site that supported me. I really miss the ride but most of all I miss all the great people I rode with. I guess God only knows why he speared my life after a 130mph crash, maybe he figures I still have a lot more roads to ride. Or to send a message to slow down and enjoy the ride, life is short enough as it is. I'm doing great and had a great attitude thru all of this and ready to get back to work and get me another Kawi.

Thank you all!!!
Rodney,

https://www.facebook.com/rodney.keef/videos/vb.1216003030/10207695227998150/?type=3&theater

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Glad to hear you're back on two wheels, even if for a moment!

I wasn't aware that you were that badly injured, Rodney. Glad you are doing well now, though.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear you're back on two wheels, even if for a moment!

I wasn't aware that you were that badly injured, Rodney. Glad you are doing well now, though.
Thanks Roman!!! I bet your enjoy that Vaquero just as much as I enjoyed mine? Ride safe!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Great news Rodney. I hope you enjoyed the ride and look forward to seeing the next one in the future.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great news Rodney. I hope you enjoyed the ride and look forward to seeing the next one in the future.
I seen your comment in the other post and didn't wanna turn the subject into about me so I thought I would post this for ya, I knew you would be around. lol! It'll be awhile til I get another one, hopefully by next season. The wife says I don't think your getting another bike but she also said I wasn't gonna sink any money into the Vaquero, we'll see about that! lol!
Thanks Buddy!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yes, I do love my Vaquero!

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
That is awesome!!! Glad to hear you were back on two wheels!!! Looking forward to that day here myself in a few weeks. Waiting on a broken collar bone and seven broken ribs to finish healing and the bike to come back home.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is awesome!!! Glad to hear you were back on two wheels!!! Looking forward to that day here myself in a few weeks. Waiting on a broken collar bone and seven broken ribs to finish healing and the bike to come back home.
I take it you had a accident on your bike also? If so I'm glad to hear your not afraid to get back on it.
Thank you and good luck!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya know I kinda like the forums new format, I've always thought it should have a like button like Facebook and now it does. Still trying to get use to how it how it all works but sometimes change is good.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
I take it you had a accident on your bike also? If so I'm glad to hear your not afraid to get back on it.
Thank you and good luck!
Yeah in the middle of May. My brother rearended me with his Harley as I was turning right onto a side road (said he just couldn't get slowed up right for some reason). His crashbar hit my left saddlebag and got tangled in the chrome trim around the saddlebag and highsided me. He was treated and released but I was in Critical Care for a bit till my punctured lung healed up. We will heal and both bikes are fixable. Glad for a good helmet and leathers and some Divine intervention.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah in the middle of May. My brother rearended me with his Harley as I was turning right onto a side road (said he just couldn't get slowed up right for some reason). His crashbar hit my left saddlebag and got tangled in the chrome trim around the saddlebag and highsided me. He was treated and released but I was in Critical Care for a bit till my punctured lung healed up. We will heal and both bikes are fixable. Glad for a good helmet and leathers and some Divine intervention.
I'm glad your bikes were fixable where mine was destroyed. Here in Illinois we don't have a helmet law so I never wear one. The thing about my accident what I don't understand is I was doing 130mph and my right shoulder was dislocated and broke and my left ankle was shattered but my head and everything between was untouched. I got a dirty wound infection from the gravel on the side of the road where I must have hit. All I know is we're both still here to ride again, some aren't so lucky!!

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
I'm glad your bikes were fixable where mine was destroyed. Here in Illinois we don't have a helmet law so I never wear one. The thing about my accident what I don't understand is I was doing 130mph and my right shoulder was dislocated and broke and my left ankle was shattered but my head and everything between was untouched. I got a dirty wound infection from the gravel on the side of the road where I must have hit. All I know is we're both still here to ride again, some aren't so lucky!!
Yeah lucky for sure! At 130 mph with no helmet you DEFINITELY had luck with you that day!

We don't have a helmet law here in PA either, but I was a FF/EMT for too many years and got to see way too many bad bike wrecks and body bags over the years, especially after the no helmet law went into effect, to not wear my helmet. I don't preach to those that choose not to wear one though. It is every riders own choice. I just know what works for me. And glad I had it on that day. Helmet took quite the beating.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad to hear that your doing well, in mind, spirit and body. And very glad that you got the chance and the guts to get back on and ride. Goof for you and wishing you the best!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yo diehard

Glad to hear you're doing well .You know you could maybe make wife feel better on bike purchase if you got a 3 wheeler
You could get an armored suit and really make her comfortable jk.
Anyways be safe and keep the rubber side down

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm doing great and had a great attitude thru all of this and ready to get back to work and get me another Kawi.
Happy to hear that you're back in the game! Surviving a crash at that speed is nothing short of amazing! How about picking some Lotto numbers for me! :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Thanks for the post Diehard..... Good to hear how you are doing.

Back in 1968 I (in high school) I had a crash on a BMW. A guy ran a stop sign on the highway and I broadsided him going about 80. Broke both legs, left arm, and back. After the casts came off I was able to jump back on. I had another new BMW waiting and I had previously enlisted in the Air Force and was on 90 day delay which turned into 8 month delay. They almost didn't take me, but they did and the rest is history....

Keep the spirit and ride brother ride...... I have had 1 trike. I like them.. I also has a wheel kit on my last scoot (Venture) for a while after I had a heart attack. The wheel kit was on/off with only two bolts and 5 minutes. Something to think about and still be able to do those long rides you like....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Totaled 2 here.... 1981 KZ750/4 and a 2004 Victory Kingpin. Broke the motors in both.
The KZ I rode under a car. Ripped header out of the cyclinders. Road rash and a few stitches..
That was the crotch rocket (12sec qtr stock) before there were crotch rockets and I rode it like
I stole it. Car pulled out in frot of from th right as I was rolling through 2nd gear about 45. Bike
and I went under the left fron bumper. I distictly remember the metal TINK as the headers were
ripped off. Replaced it with a Yamaha 550Vision a month later. Slowwwwweddd me way down.

In 2004 had a 6 month old Vic Kingpin with shy of 9K miles on it. College kid pulled out of line of
cars from the suicide lane (left turn)and I drilled him. Saw the gaggle in the curve and was slowing
down. Hit the car left side rear post. Big old earlys 80's catalina. I went through the windshield landed
on the trunk and flopped on the ground. Cell phone came out of my pocket at mach 1 and ended
up 100 yrds down the road. I broke the welds in the triple tree to the parallel backbone to the seat.
The backbone separated Tank broke from rear mount stabbed in the ass as I went airborne. Bruised
ribs, lost both big toe toe nails and miscellaneous other hits. That was 9/20/04. I was on anorther
new Kingpin first week of October.

That's 2 plus the Hodaka Combat Wombat when I was 13 makes 3.... Think I took a couple for the team.
Stuff happens and it's a matter of choices. We know the risk and it's either acceptible or it's not.

Be safe

gb

1 - 19 of 19 Posts