Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit 50 degrees today. Roads were dry, so I pulled the bike out of mothball, took the battery off the tender, and fired her up. She fired up the first try and ran great. First time I've stored a bike using Seafoam and it seems to have done a great job. I actually dragged the left side floor board on the first corner I took. First time I've done that in many years. Must have been all the excitment of the first ride, either that or I got mighty rusty over the last three months. I'll chalk it up to excitement.:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jfarley,

Not too bad of weather for Utah in February. I drove down to Fairview from Lehi to pick up my new bike but by the time I got her home it dark and cold again.

Where are you located in Utah?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Put a couple of miles on it for me... We've still got a couple of inches of white death falling on us..

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Jfarley,

Not too bad of weather for Utah in February. I drove down to Fairview from Lehi to pick up my new bike but by the time I got her home it dark and cold again.

Where are you located in Utah?
Southend of the Salt Lake Valley. A stones throw from Lehi. Welcome to the forum by the way!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Short ride today. Hi 40's, but the wind was tuff. New gloves showed their worth. I did not wear my mask, but I lost feeling in my face so I did not notice after the first mile. Spring is just around the corner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
fantastic day

pushed out around 400 miles saturday. started around 8:30 am (36 deg.)
way home around 7:00 pm(45 deg.) mid day (55 deg.). Life is so much better now. Winter was a little to long. Great ride but man i was wore out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sheesh, I have absolutely zero cold weather gear, so when I was coming home from work at 2300 the other night, the mid 40's was tearing me apart. I'd hate to invest considering I live in Cocoa Beach, FL, where this years winter is, on average, 12 degrees colder.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Congrats on the ride.

I have been commuting on my bike all winter thanks to being here in Monterey CA, but it is below 40 almost every morning when I ride in at 0500. My leather jacket and gloves work wonders but my legs freeze. I need to invest in some good riding pants or some chaps.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on the ride.

I have been commuting on my bike all winter thanks to being here in Monterey CA, but it is below 40 almost every morning when I ride in at 0500. My leather jacket and gloves work wonders but my legs freeze. I need to invest in some good riding pants or some chaps.
It's amazing the difference chaps make!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jealous.
Pants and an insulated jacket do make all the difference, was able to ride at -5C this fall with no problem, except for the hands. Almost tempts me to put some bright green Kawi Enduro handguards on there to break the wind. Or not.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It's supposd to get to 45 here this Fri. (my day off). I'll probably take her out for a little spin, since my driveway is no longer a sheet of ice and I can get to the street.

I know it'll start OK. I've been going out & starting it every couple weeks or so. Not so much cuz I think it needed it, more just because I wanted to hear it run.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I as well my friend will get some chaps this season. The wife bought some for herself last year and swears by them. Got them at LeatherUp.com, got my leather jacket there and love it, so will get my chaps there as well. Probably a month out for me to ride as it is still only barely making it to the high 30's here for a high, 40's and hopefully 50's are close by. :)
Congrats on the ride.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Pasnbyu: Leatherup.com is great. I bought my leather jacket and gloves through them and the quality is great.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can't get the bike out of the basement

Saw 3 bikes on the road yesterday. Supposed to be 50 on Sunday in Western Mass. Have walk out basement. Keep bike warm and covered . No snow in front of house. 4 inches out side back basement door. tempted to shovel the 100 ft to the front driveway. More heaved pavement and sand on the roads than I've seen in many years. I guess I'll just have to wait.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice weather has finally arrived here in Central Illinois....but until the rain comes and washes the salt away....Delilah will stay in the garage!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I concur with buying gear from Leather Up, I have jacket, gloves and vest from them, all excellent quality and great fit.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My first ride of the season came Saturday 3/6. It was in the high 40's and a sunny day. I couldn't wait and took her out of storage in the morning and drove her in the afternoon. Made excuses to go places (Home Depot, Jewel, Red Box) just so I can take her out by myself. We just had some rain yesterday. Roads should be a little cleaner from the salt. Just waiting for a another warmer day now....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Unseasonably cold

It has been extremely cold and wet here in NC this Winter. I rode all of last winter but it has been way to wet and cold here this year. I can handle the cold with the right gear but combined with the rain and snow I don't dare get the old girl out!

I have managed to get my 1600 Classic out a few times and it looks like it will be in the mid 60's today and tomorrow but then more rain for the following 4 days. I can't wait until Spring finally gets here.....got a few long rides planned!!

Anybody else planning to ride The Tail of the Dragon this year??

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
First ride of the year ..... I rode over 200 kms today, 12c, dry roads, touring pants, touring coat, winter gloves, walm as toast and a smile so big i thought my face was going to crack, got both bikes out and rode the pair of them .... not at the same time though. Tomorrow ... much of the same.:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Put 150 miles on it today (1/2 town, 1/2 highway). It's amazing how happy I am to go nowhere... :D Tomorrow, much of the same for me as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts