Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just wanted to express my first impressions of the Cobra Fi2000 PowerPro Auto tuner and the Cobra PowerFlo intake.

Install: Pretty straight forward on both counts. The Fi2000 took extra time as I have an alarm and battery tender crammed under the seat. I managed to tuck the Fi2000 up under the frame close to where the tank bolts down. Getting the stock injector clips off was not too bad as you can see how the lock works by looking at the pigtail on the tuner. I used needle nose pliers to get them off, even with the back of the tank lifted onto a 2X4. I have had the stock airbox off a couple of times, so the re & re was not difficult - the Cobra is a quality piece - I got the black to match my SE. Everything goes on as described in the instructions. All together, I think I spent about an hour and 15 minutes on the whole job.

First Fire-up: No problem. The Fi2000 light went red, as it should, and the idle was normal (fast idle). I shut it down so I could move everything around in the garage to get the bike out (would be nice to have an extra bay in the garage!).

On the Road: I noticed the extra exhaust noise right off the bat. I have a partial de-baffle (8 holes drilled). The bike sounded a little deeper at idle. First acceleration - wow, smooth! I was up into 3rd gear, and running around 4,000 rpm (once the bike was warmed up), and I must say - WOW! Seat of the pants dyno says - more power, and a smoother delivery, especially above 3,000 rpm. Very impressed. I took an 80km ride down some secondary roads, got up to around 120kph - lots of throttle left, but ran out of road. No popping on decel, excellent acceleration, nice smooth cruising. Awesome!

Value: Wow, the Fi2000 autotuner is a "10" all the way. I love the combo with the intake. The bike feels "opened up"and stronger right across the RPM range. It is a little louder, and you can hear the intake a little more. No problem for me.

Next: So, pipes...dang, it must be spring. I'm leaning towards the Vance & Hines Twin Slash Staggered in black. I don't mind the stock de-baffled sound of the bike now, but I find the stock pipes a tad long for my liking. I have considered cutting the ends off (maybe around 6 inches or so), but I'm not 100% sure on that. If I do cut them off, I will keep the angled tips, but not quite so much angle as the stock pipes.

I was lucky to have a nice warmish day on the Coast to try the bike. No rain, so that was good.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Another satisfied owner.
The 9 is a great bike, made better with a few(or) more HP & Torque numbers.
Mine was never stock when I got it back in 08, but more than happy with its performance. They tend to hold there own with any others of the same or nearly so layout, even with a few more cc's.
Looks like you will have a few days this week to put on some miles err km. Keep an update with the change if any in fuel consumption.
Ride Safe Have Fun

·
Registered
847 Posts
Shadow 01 pipes

I recommend buying pipes if you can and not cutting up your pipes. I still have my stock de-baffled pipes hanging in the garage, I have had previous purchasers of other bikes ask for them. You never know, and I could never cut them so they would look right.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm running the same intake and fuel processor. Plus I've got the V&H Twin Slash Staggered. There is most definitely a jump in performance. As others have mentioned about these pipes, they are quite loud.

My coworker mentioned that he heard me coming up behind him before he saw me, and still heard me clearly for about a quarter mile after I passed him.

I wear ear plugs while riding, so the noise doesn't bother me, but without them, I would certainly want a set of quiet baffles.

Still waiting to burn through a few more tankfuls of gas before I make any clams on the change to fuel consumption.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm running the same intake and fuel processor. Plus I've got the V&H Twin Slash Staggered. There is most definitely a jump in performance. As others have mentioned about these pipes, they are quite loud.

My coworker mentioned that he heard me coming up behind him before he saw me, and still heard me clearly for about a quarter mile after I passed him.

I wear ear plugs while riding, so the noise doesn't bother me, but without them, I would certainly want a set of quiet baffles.

Still waiting to burn through a few more tankfuls of gas before I make any clams on the change to fuel consumption.

Ndr - I am planning to run the same setup fairly soon. Currently have debaffled pipes and the phone db meter shows in the 90db range. Any idea where you are at with the twin slash pipes? I know I'm on the edge of noise law as is( I think I have a higher chance of getting a ticket for baffle-less pipes than i do the noise, that plus the performance gain should be reason enough for the pipes)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
213 Posts
According to my phone, my pipes are running at 84db regardless if I'm 20 feet or 2 inches from them. This leads me to believe that either the pipes are overwhelming my microphone, or the app that I'm using is crap.

What db meter app did you use?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts