Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a little cold and rainy here in the PNW, so even though I had the ECU flashed and installed a week and a half ago, I never had a chance to try it out until today. Just putting through the neighborhood you couldn't feel a lot of difference, but you definitely hear a difference in the exhaust note and any low RPM jerkiness that was present before is gone. Where it really made a difference is in the upper RPM band. Now I enjoy a spirited ride and have been known to occasionally bend a few rules while on some back country roads in my, ahem, youth, and I know the 900 will never be a tire smoking beast, but I like the styling, the aftermarket support is decent, and for me it hits that happy medium between a bar hopper and a big heavy cruiser. But, let me state, the ECU flash was money well spent if you like to stretch the gearing out once in a while. Before the flash, the engine felt like it would hit at wall at anything over 5k RPM's. Today I went through the gears hard a few times, and once hit 7k on the tach going from 2nd to 3rd. Happy to say it pulled hard all the way up there too. Another thumbs up for Ivan.

As a side note, the ZX-10 shock I installed feels better that the stock one. I am going to soften the compression a bit, but it does ride nicer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I live in the ga mts....riding over to I`vans in a few wks for the flash on my 900 custom,liked your review...….concrete ps it`s a 100 miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice review of the ECU Flash, Ivan has done great work. Flashing incorporates timing and A/F tuning in all gears.

ZX14 shock once setup will surprise you on handling and plushness.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice review of the ECU Flash, Ivan has done great work. Flashing incorporates timing and A/F tuning in all gears.

ZX14 shock once setup will surprise you on handling and plushness.
I was hitting small divots in the street on purpose and it definitely doesn't have the spine jarring action as the stock shock. I installed a Saddleman solo seat last year and it still needs some time to break in but the shock mod does make for a better ride without making it too squishy and bouncy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had my 2007 Classic LT's ECU flashed last moth by Ivan's.
Here's what I have experienced since install:
Background on bike:
All stock except for K&N filter element and Vance and Hines 2 into 1 full exhaust.
Throttle response is more positive, more like a carburated unit. The revving lag when downshifting is gone (!!)
Shifting is more positive. Don't get that "clunk" when shifting gears.
Power band is consistent and does not "top out" at the higher rpm's. The feeling of being held back is gone. The bike just wants to keep pulling.
Before flashing, bike felt "jerky jerky" at low speeds in low gears, Couldn't keep a nice steady pace. After flashing this problem is gone. I can keep steady pressure on the throttle and maintain a smooth ride.
Deceleration popping got worse .... need to get in touch with Ivan and see what this is about.
Mileage loss. Was getting a consistent average of 44 miles per gallon. Last tank was 39.
Worth the funds to get done, just have to work out (or accept) the popping and mileage concerns.
Cheers

·
Registered
107 Posts
have to work out (or accept) the popping and mileage concerns.
Cheers
I have Cobra swept and the a powerflo intake and prior to the Ivan upgrade had bad pooping, after it was completely gone. I would reach out for Ivan, something seems a bit off.

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, Hard Krome exhaust
87 Posts
OP, bump your idle up a bit. That solved my exhaust popping based on a suggestion from another member here.

CMOS

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had my 2007 Classic LT's ECU flashed last moth by Ivan's.
Here's what I have experienced since install:
Background on bike:
All stock except for K&N filter element and Vance and Hines 2 into 1 full exhaust.
Throttle response is more positive, more like a carburated unit. The revving lag when downshifting is gone (!!)
Shifting is more positive. Don't get that "clunk" when shifting gears.
Power band is consistent and does not "top out" at the higher rpm's. The feeling of being held back is gone. The bike just wants to keep pulling.
Before flashing, bike felt "jerky jerky" at low speeds in low gears, Couldn't keep a nice steady pace. After flashing this problem is gone. I can keep steady pressure on the throttle and maintain a smooth ride.
Deceleration popping got worse .... need to get in touch with Ivan and see what this is about.
Mileage loss. Was getting a consistent average of 44 miles per gallon. Last tank was 39.
Worth the funds to get done, just have to work out (or accept) the popping and mileage concerns.
Cheers
Did you block the air injection off? When I first did the intake, exhaust and tuner, I had a lot of popping. Plugging it off cure about 75%. I will agree with the rest tho. Today is the first time I have been able to get a nice long stretch of highway after the re-flash. The difference in shifting is night and day and it definitely pulls harder on the freeway than it did before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you block the air injection off? When I first did the intake, exhaust and tuner, I had a lot of popping. Plugging it off cure about 75%. I will agree with the rest tho. Today is the first time I have been able to get a nice long stretch of highway after the re-flash. The difference in shifting is night and day and it definitely pulls harder on the freeway than it did before.
Yes, used the plug that Ivan supplied with the ECU.
Will try the idle adjustment suggestion.
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts