There's an old Hebrew saying that if you ask 10 rabbi's to interpret the Torah, you will get 12 answers.so here is what happen, no one is availiable to do the first service tomorrow. so i went through the maintenace check list from mowner's manual.
everything is check hose or leak or level, I know all those are good, but one thing i dont know is "belt deflection","bolts and nuts", "engine oil and filter".
I mean i do know how to change engin oil and i just have to get the right oil for this bike and the filter and tools.
so I want to ask you guys
first, how do you check belt ? what do you look for ?
second, what bolt and nuts do i have to check ?
third, whats the best oil and filter for our loved 9s. everyone is saying different thing....lol
thanks for the help
There's an old Hebrew saying that if you ask 10 rabbi's to interpret the Torah, you will get 12 answers.
wow, just wow. I can say you are the most helpful person i seen so far on this forum. no offence to others who also helped me but wow, you are very detail to how it suposed to go.
so here is what the owners manul show for 600 service
Valve clearance inspect is not include untill 15k. so on that im good for now.
1. throttle control system inspect: i adjusted first week after i got the bike to fit me well.
2. idle speed inspect: idle seem fine to me not too fast or slow as long as the bike warms up and have a stable slow beat to it. most of my other bike idle faster than vulcan as i remember. my shadow 750 was faster too.
3. fuel leak inspect: i do not see any leak on the floor nor from the bike in any parts or in between parts. I clean my bike way too often to look everywhere and anywhere for oil and leaks.
4. fuel hoses damage inspect: come on, its a brand new bike and if it broke, it leak. so there is no leak and it means its good. i think
5. fuel hose installation condition inspect: same as #4. if it was installed incorrectly, it would have problem from the get go when i was riding it home from dealer and all this 750 miles i have now.
6. coolant level inspect: Thats easy.
7. coolant leak inspect: thats easy too. no leak
8. radiator hose damage inspect: i checked when i install the crash bar.
9. radiator hose install condition inspect: i did that too, its tight.
10. evaporative emission control system function( only CA): i have no idea what is it........????? what is it ???????
11. clutch operation play inspect: i adjusted right after i got home from dealer and everything is fine.
12: drive belt DEFLECTION inspect: what is that mean ???
13: drive belt wear inspect: belt seem fine and does not have any rubed off or scraps off around.
14. brake fluid leak inspect: nothing leaking and levels are good.
15. brake hoses damage inspect: everything seem tight and snug
16. brake hoses installation condition inspect: its good as i see.
17. brake fluid level inspect: its in good level.
18. brake operation inspect: i ride everyday in city so my brake is pretty much working well as i expected.
19. brake light switch inspect: it worked.
20. steering play inspect: really ???? it truns left and right and no cable gets in the way or loose parts....good enought ? lol
21. BOLTS and NUTS TIGHTNESS inspect: this one is the one i do NOT know, i can tight bolts and nuts, but just which onces i have to check and tight up ?
22. Engine oil change: still thinking what oil i will be using, depends on what my local autozone have in stock for now.
23. oil filter replace: also still thinking, so many choice from all you guys but depends what i can get from autozone or local store.
So please someone help me and let me know what bolts and nuts to tight. and do i have to do anything to the belt? it seem fine to me. its pretty right and snug. and oil brand and filter i already have an idea now so im just thinking.
I'm really thanksful for your help of explaning how to change the oil.
please answer other two question i have for #12 and #21
thanks for the help, i just bought the oil and all the tools, about to do the oil change first than check other stuff later. i didnt buy the torque wrenche because i dont know which one to buy since i dont have the service manul to see the requirement level. but i got the idea.Just let me know and I can send you the specific Spec sheets for the various torque requirements for the drain plug and filter as well as the rectifier mounting bolts. Also harbor freight has a great sale on torque wrenches About $10 dollars each.
I am out this afternoon but will be home this evening.
Sent from my DROID2
Good Luck... Just in case Oil Drain plug: 15ftlbs (20N-m), Regulator/Rectifier bolts: 61inlbs **NOTE INCH POUNDS** (6.9N-m). Oil Filter: 13ftlbs (18N-m), but for the filter I usually lube the gasket and tighten hand tight.thanks for the help, i just bought the oil and all the tools, about to do the oil change first than check other stuff later. i didnt buy the torque wrenche because i dont know which one to buy since i dont have the service manul to see the requirement level. but i got the idea.
i'm going to do the oil now~ wish me luck