Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,
I just purchased a brand new Vulcan 900 SE 2010 (Matte Black):D. I was wondering if you can help me to find the parts to make my first modification on the bike. I want to change the whole tail light and put the plate on the side. I look for parts on the web, but I couldn't find a complete set or instructions on how to do this. I'm a newbie, on this forum and with Bikes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
IMHO... your very first mod should be a highway bar. For the CSE maybe a cool blacked out one!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I can't offer much help as the only thing I've done is modify the stock plate holder to move the plate up a bit, but ignore those other folks. ;) A highway bar IS a very beneficial mod, but do what ya want, and welcome to the forums! I *LOVE* that matte black look, so I might even be a tad jealous!

There are a number of folks who have cleaned up the rear of the custom, so I'm sure there will be all sorts of beneficial tips forthcoming to answer your question!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree do the highway bars first, than a comfy saddle, find www.denniskirk.com and knock yourself and the wallet out. get to a few bike nights and start looking around at others I hate it when I make a mod and see something I like better a week later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thank you all for your comments, and YES the matte black paint looks really cool.
I just had a question for those who advice to put the highway bar.... why should I do that mod first... only looks or it helps for some security / extra confort??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, there is always the possibility that ANY rider might drop the bike or be forced to lay it down... the chance is greater when you are a new rider and/or you are riding a new bike you aren't used to. With the highway bar, you might avoid expensive damage to the actual bike since the bar takes the brunt of the street. Also, in a laydown, the bar produces a gap between the engine and the street so your leg isn't pinned.

Short answer (too late) it is a safety and protection mod (and they look good!)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Tiger, thanks for your comment.. and yes... it makes a lot of sense to install those. I just have to find them in matte black....
You may also want to look on ebay for a used one that has been scuffed. I sold mine to a guy after a minor wreck. It was scuffed and needed re-chroming or powder coating. He got it coated and loved it. He saved some dough since I sold it for about 1/3 of a new one.

As for lighting, check out Custom Dynamics. They have all kinds of lighting stuff.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Highway Bars

Not looking to hijack the thread, but I've been looking into getting some highway bars for my 09 900 custom SE. I'd love to find a black version of the bars but I'm not against getting them coated. However, I do want to find a set that will work with the chin scoop offered by low and mean. Has anybody got any suggestions for me? The link for the chin scoop is below.

http://lowandmean.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypagelm.tpl&product_id=152&category_id=96&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=60

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You are going to have problems with that chin shroud and a highway bar. All of the bars I have seen for our bikes are one piece and the top of the bar goes right across the front of the frame near the top of the radiator. Even if you find a two piece bar, it will still need to attach to the frame somewhere near the top of the radiator which will interfere with that shroud. I think you would need to cut the shroud to allow for the bar. The only other option I see is to have someone cut a bar into two pieces and then weld it directly to the frame on the side. This would be a major under taking since the right way to do it would be to totally disassemble the bike, weld the bar in place on the frame and re-powder coat the whole frame before reassembling the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
@swim -- depending on how the top looks for our bikes, it won't work. it looks like it engulfs the top radiator bolt and isn't flat... you'd probably need to trim the spoiler to make the bars fit.

@youngblud -- unfortunately IMO the best looking bars out there are the Linbar by Lindby... but unless you want to drop $350 on them?!?! alot of guys have done their own blacking out on parts so it is definitely possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your comments. Now with that chin shroud, it makes it hard to decide what to do.....the chin shroud or the highway bars??? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go to road6customs store on eBay, they have side mounted tag brackets for like 20 bucks I think I got mine for. Theyre good quality and powder coated too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts