Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I need your help.
I've been riding my new VN 900 2010 for a month now. So Far I have around 550 KM (342 Miles). The specs advice to do the first maintenance at 1000KM (600 Miles).

The thing is that next weekend, I'm going to Laconia NH (Motorweek). The distance from MTL to Laconia it's about 425 KM (265 Miles). I'll be doing about the same distance each day (for 3 days). So Should I do my service before going there, even if I'm far from the 1000 KM or I do it when I'll come back?

Please advice,, I'm new at this!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I was in the same boat. On the one hand.....one would like to break the bike in....get that first oil out...and then service. On the other hand, changing the oil too quick and the bike hasn't properly broken in....my solution? I took the bike out and rode the heck out of it before my trip....got close to the 1000 mark, did the service and all was well. If that isn't an option, I'd change oil before I went well over the 1000 mark, Christ knows WHAT they use as break-in oil...lmao.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was in the same boat. On the one hand.....one would like to break the bike in....get that first oil out...and then service. On the other hand, changing the oil too quick and the bike hasn't properly broken in....my solution? I took the bike out and rode the heck out of it before my trip....got close to the 1000 mark, did the service and all was well. If that isn't an option, I'd change oil before I went well over the 1000 mark, Christ knows WHAT they use as break-in oil...lmao.
Yeah... I'm trying to ride as much as possible...before the oil change... if Only the weather could be on my side... :(

What worries me is that If I dont do the first maintenance before the 1000 KM, they might use that as a reason not to respect the warranty....

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Yeah... I'm trying to ride as much as possible...before the oil change... if Only the weather could be on my side... :(

What worries me is that If I dont do the first maintenance before the 1000 KM, they might use that as a reason not to respect the warranty....
No worries with warranty.....they'll respect the fact that most don't arrive at the door with 1000k on the trip...just make a note in your manual when u changed the oil..date, miles etc....
For me, I was more worried about getting the break-in oil out...and any bits that were kicking around....

·
Registered
121 Posts
When I hit 900km a few weeks ago I phoned for a service appointment and couldn't get in for over 2 weeks. When I asked about the warranty and whether it was ok if I kept riding and went well over the 1000km mark (like say 1500km) they said not to be concerned. I ended up taking in in at about 1300km.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts

I recently had my first service done...The dealer said that 600 miles was not precise...just try to keep it under 1000 miles.

Rod

·
Registered
228 Posts
The thing is that next weekend, I'm going to Laconia NH (Motorweek). The distance from MTL to Laconia it's about 425 KM (265 Miles). I'll be doing about the same distance each day (for 3 days). So Should I do my service before going there, even if I'm far from the 1000 KM or I do it when I'll come back?

Please advice,, I'm new at this!
sorry to jump in... I was at Laconia last week, the weather was great and ready for bikes! It's only an 2 hour drive for me. We are thinking about taking another ride to check it out with all the bikes there!

have fun!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts