Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am pretty new here and have made a few posts, but this one is kind of on topic/off topic, so I thought I would post here and read the advice given.

First off let me start by saying that I have never done a really long ride. I have some neck/back issues ( cracks in 3 of my neck vertebrae and punctured disks so spinal fluid sometimes leaks out and hits my nerve endings, resulting in incredible pain) I have only rode for 8 hours once, and then let my bike fall out from under me while trying to make a U turn back to a hotel, my body just couldn't do it anymore and I was exhausted. I had hit a huge pot hole a few hours prior to this, and jarred my neck badly. I should have stopped then but was in the middle of nowhere, so that wasn't an option.
This year is a big trip, so that's why I got the new to me 02' Drifter 800, the seating position is much more comfortable for me, but I am still worried about this trip.
I can't let that hold me back from making it, so I want to be as comfortable as possible. I have 3 days to ride 2000 kms. Starting in PEI, crossing into the USA from St. Stephen NB into Calais, Maine and making it to Augusta in the first day to meet up with my brother and his wife,then going through New Hampshire, and Vermont and crossing back over into Canada in Kingston I think... ( we are following the route my brother has taken to get here and back the past 3 years) I just follow the big red bike in front of me and keep an eye out behind and beside me so some idiot in a cage doesn't run me over or knock me down yet again!
Ever since I went down in my accident 2 years ago I can't help but have some anxiety, I landed on my face which hurt my neck even worse, but I still ride anyways and I want to make this trip as pain free and fun as possible. I would love to track down a riders backrest for the 2 up seat that will be on the bike for the trip, I am putting a windshield on, crash bars, highway pegs so I can move around a bit to change my seating position. Any other suggestions?
We are going to make some longer trips to get my body and mind ready for the big trip, but any ideas on how to make it more bearable for me would be nice.
I am sure there are a ton of people on here that have back or neck problems that do long trips, if you are here, share your advice and help me make this a trip to look forward too, instead of me dreading it. It seems like the nearer we get to the departure day, the more I dread it. I would rather look t it as an adventure that I can repeat every other year, and maybe even go further in a year or 2, but first I need help overcoming the worry about this first long ride.
So, lay it on me people...what should I get, do or try before I go in August.
Keep in mind that I know I need my neck fixed, and I am waiting for surgery, but don't even have a date for that yet, so fixing the neck before I go isn't an option LOL! Believe me I would have done it 2 years ago if I could have :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
backrest

Ok, I am pretty new here and have made a few posts, but this one is kind of on topic/off topic, so I thought I would post here and read the advice given.

First off let me start by saying that I have never done a really long ride. I have some neck/back issues ( cracks in 3 of my neck vertebrae and punctured disks so spinal fluid sometimes leaks out and hits my nerve endings, resulting in incredible pain) I have only rode for 8 hours once, and then let my bike fall out from under me while trying to make a U turn back to a hotel, my body just couldn't do it anymore and I was exhausted. I had hit a huge pot hole a few hours prior to this, and jarred my neck badly. I should have stopped then but was in the middle of nowhere, so that wasn't an option.
This year is a big trip, so that's why I got the new to me 02' Drifter 800, the seating position is much more comfortable for me, but I am still worried about this trip.
I can't let that hold me back from making it, so I want to be as comfortable as possible. I have 3 days to ride 2000 kms. Starting in PEI, crossing into the USA from St. Stephen NB into Calais, Maine and making it to Augusta in the first day to meet up with my brother and his wife,then going through New Hampshire, and Vermont and crossing back over into Canada in Kingston I think... ( we are following the route my brother has taken to get here and back the past 3 years) I just follow the big red bike in front of me and keep an eye out behind and beside me so some idiot in a cage doesn't run me over or knock me down yet again!
Ever since I went down in my accident 2 years ago I can't help but have some anxiety, I landed on my face which hurt my neck even worse, but I still ride anyways and I want to make this trip as pain free and fun as possible. I would love to track down a riders backrest for the 2 up seat that will be on the bike for the trip, I am putting a windshield on, crash bars, highway pegs so I can move around a bit to change my seating position. Any other suggestions?
We are going to make some longer trips to get my body and mind ready for the big trip, but any ideas on how to make it more bearable for me would be nice.
I am sure there are a ton of people on here that have back or neck problems that do long trips, if you are here, share your advice and help me make this a trip to look forward too, instead of me dreading it. It seems like the nearer we get to the departure day, the more I dread it. I would rather look t it as an adventure that I can repeat every other year, and maybe even go further in a year or 2, but first I need help overcoming the worry about this first long ride.
So, lay it on me people...what should I get, do or try before I go in August.
Keep in mind that I know I need my neck fixed, and I am waiting for surgery, but don't even have a date for that yet, so fixing the neck before I go isn't an option LOL! Believe me I would have done it 2 years ago if I could have :)
did a bit of searching for you found scootworks has some backrest for your drifter,i also wrote on google backrest for drifter and it gave me a couple of web sits for your bike .P.S you live in a beautiful part of our country i was there two years a go for three days i could of stayed three months,people are so friendly and relax great sea food,good luck with your search give me some feedback.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alquinn

did a bit of searching for you found scootworks has some backrest for your drifter,i also wrote on google backrest for drifter and it gave me a couple of web sits for your bike .P.S you live in a beautiful part of our country i was there two years a go for three days i could of stayed three months,people are so friendly and relax great sea food,good luck with your search give me some feedback.
I will check out the both Scootworks and do a search myself, seems like every time I search for something I end up confused as to what will fit and what won't. If you are ever heading up this way again, be sure to let me know, I'm sure if you were here you must have come or left via the Confederation Bridge, and I pretty much live under it :)
I'm from Ontario originally, but I love it here, and you are right it is relaxing and the seafood is awesome...looking forward to fresh lobsters off the wharf real soon!

·
Registered
131 Posts
First time went by train and car via moncton nb next time it will be by bike,probley next summer this year going across canada by train to vancouver to see my brother.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts