Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my Voyager 12.28.19. A 2017 with 5713 miles. The rear tire was toast. So waiting to have a car tire installed, work schedule and some rain, today was the first chance I had to ride. Put 80 miles on it, 50 was twisties. First impression, this thing is a brute. It loves to run between 3 & 4k rpms. Lower and it surges, higher and it has engine vibration. Never rode a vv before today. Do they all have a transmission whine in 1, 2, & 3rd gears? The computer says I was getting 42.7 mpg. I'm happy. The PO had it Ivanized, added chucksters risers & intake system. A slipstream windshield and pillow top seat. I added cup and phone holders, backrest, mirror extenders, and sheepskin seat cover. Overall not as snappy as my goldwing, but a comfortable lazy ride.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I can't comment on ALL V twins, but both of my Vulcans (900, 1700) have noisy transmissions when compared to my old in line 4. I'm told this is because Kawi uses straight cut gears instead of helical(sp?). The straight cuts transfer power more efficiently, but are noisier. No V twin will be as snappy as a four or six cylinder bike, but what they lack in snap, they make up for in grunt. On my 900 I could add my wife and travel gear without ever changing my shifting patterns. The engine didn't seem to notice that I had doubled the load on the bike. Love my Vulcans!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts