Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know a few may have been following my questions recently but I'll start from the beginning.

A couple weeks ago I installed new Michelin Commander IIs, with the taller rear tire, 170/80B15 instead of the stock 180/70B15. This corrected the speedo problem which is dead on now, so for a given speedometer speed, I'm actually going that speed. That was good. But, the seat, a Mustang Vintage Touring, was a bit too high now. So, I had the new shock installed today, the Progressive 465, 1" lower version. Now (of course) the seat feels a bit too low, which I almost expected, but I think I'll prefer this height over the "too high" level.

As for the shock, the shop left it at the shipped setting. It definitely feels different. The rebound is much less. I still feel bumps but I road home on a couple roads that are so bad they would rattle my teeth and bounce me out of the seat. With the new shock I still feel the bumps but the rebound is much less so I can tolerate the bumps. I've only ridden about 10 miles so far so I need to give it a while see how I adjust but I'm hopeful it will work out.

Now, for the record, I could have opted to the the stock tire size and install the Baron's front pulley and, aside from the slightly better ride from the shock, probably would be at about the same with the seat at about the same height (new tire would have raised it slightly also). After the fact, I wish I'd gone that route. Would have been much cheaper. The shock was expensive. But, we pays our moneys, we takes our chances. Again, we'll see.

One question. Progressive says to adjust the shock preload so the sag is 1/3 the wheel travel. They have a video on youtube about this also (search for "progressive shows us"). You have to take a measurement with the shock fully extended (back wheel off the ground) and then sitting on the bike. Get the difference between the two and that should be no more than 1/3 third the wheel travel. Only problem is, they don't tell you how to determine the wheel travel. So, the guys at the shop just left the preload setting as shipped. It seemed to be OK on the way home but not sure how I would know, unless it was really bouncy or I was bottoming out. Also, I haven't had my wife on it with me yet so that could make a big difference. So, anyone know what the wheel travel is? Is it the same regardless of tire size?

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I know a few may have been following my questions recently but I'll start from the beginning.

A couple weeks ago I installed new Michelin Commander IIs, with the taller rear tire, 170/80B15 instead of the stock 180/70B15. This corrected the speedo problem which is dead on now, so for a given speedometer speed, I'm actually going that speed. That was good. But, the seat, a Mustang Vintage Touring, was a bit too high now. So, I had the new shock installed today, the Progressive 465, 1" lower version. Now (of course) the seat feels a bit too low, which I almost expected, but I think I'll prefer this height over the "too high" level.

As for the shock, the shop left it at the shipped setting. It definitely feels different. The rebound is much less. I still feel bumps but I road home on a couple roads that are so bad they would rattle my teeth and bounce me out of the seat. With the new shock I still feel the bumps but the rebound is much less so I can tolerate the bumps. I've only ridden about 10 miles so far so I need to give it a while see how I adjust but I'm hopeful it will work out.

Now, for the record, I could have opted to the the stock tire size and install the Baron's front pulley and, aside from the slightly better ride from the shock, probably would be at about the same with the seat at about the same height (new tire would have raised it slightly also). After the fact, I wish I'd gone that route. Would have been much cheaper. The shock was expensive. But, we pays our moneys, we takes our chances. Again, we'll see.

One question. Progressive says to adjust the shock preload so the sag is 1/3 the wheel travel. They have a video on youtube about this also (search for "progressive shows us"). You have to take a measurement with the shock fully extended (back wheel off the ground) and then sitting on the bike. Get the difference between the two and that should be no more than 1/3 third the wheel travel. Only problem is, they don't tell you how to determine the wheel travel. So, the guys at the shop just left the preload setting as shipped. It seemed to be OK on the way home but not sure how I would know, unless it was really bouncy or I was bottoming out. Also, I haven't had my wife on it with me yet so that could make a big difference. So, anyone know what the wheel travel is? Is it the same regardless of tire size?
You mentioned riding 2 up? If your like me and most of my riding is 2 up than it would make sense to have both of you on the bike when taking the last measurement?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mentioned riding 2 up? If your like me and most of my riding is 2 up than it would make sense to have both of you on the bike when taking the last measurement?
That's true. My wife wasn't with me. But, in any case, I still need to know what the wheel travel is for the bike. I could get the fully extended measurement, and the loaded measurement, and the difference. But, that difference needs to be compared to the wheel travel for the bike. What is that?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts