Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went with 130/90B-16 front and 160/80B-16 rear. The 160/80 is taller and narrower than the stock 170/70, but has the same speed rating and a higher load carrying capacity.

They balanced great, the ride is smooth and quiet. Going into turns was effortless. I've always felt the Voyager handled very well for such a heavy bike, but it felt even better today. Not sure if it really does lean easier or if I expected it to lean easier and I'm just fooling myself. But it sure was carving the turns! :)

The Elite 4's are quieter than the Elite 3's for sure. The 3's were quiet as long as you were going straight but even a small amount of lean would produce a noticeable rumble, not loud but noticeable. Think it has to do with the sharper angle of the tread on the 4's.

Being an inch taller than stock, the 160/80 corrects the speedometer. At 60mph indicated I got 60mph on GPS, 70mph indicated = 69mph GPS. The stock tires had the speedo off between 3 to 5mph at highway speeds. That's actually a nice plus for me. I always hated doing the math to determine my actual speed and don't want to have to use the GPS as a speedo. It's nice to just glance at the speedo and trust the reading.

I've only put a little over 150 miles on the 4's this afternoon but so far I'm a happy rider. Fingers crossed they'll handle good in the wet and wear better than the stock Bridgestone or the Elite 3's.

I'll try to update this post as I rack up some more miles. Elite 4's were mounted at 14953 miles.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Where did you get them? Online? I'm about due for another set on my Voyager, and am giving serious thought to going darkside again. These Elite will be my last bike tire if they dont last me a full season, I ride about 17k a year and changing twice a year is a pain.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got them from https://www.2wheel.com/ The day I ordered they had the best price of any sellers that had both sizes in stock. $294 for the pair, plus a $40 rebate from Dunlop (IIRC). I should be getting that rebate any day now :)
I'm expecting 20,000 out of these. Hope I'm not disappointed.

I'll always be paying the big bucks for MC tires. I rode my buddies 2013 Voyager with a darkside tire, and it's not for me. I'd probably do it if I spent most of my time on the expressway, but...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Interested in hearing how they work out for you. It seems so many have had good luck with the Michelin Commander IIs (myself included) they are gun shy when it comes to trying the E4s.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got just over 20,000 miles from a set of MCII's on my previous bike. Was happy with the ride, handling, and mileage. They did have some irregular wear on the outer edges, more so on the front tire.

Hopefully the weather starts warming a little quicker around here. I'm ready to put some miles on.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a little over 1,000 miles on the Elite 4's now. Haven't had them in the wet yet but in the dry I'm very satisfied.

I got to run one of my favorite roads a couple of weeks ago riding 2 up, bags about 3/4 full, shocks at 40PSI and #3 clicker. We took lots of curves at varying speeds but 2 curves really stood out for me. One went left, the other right, speed was 60 mph +/- and the floor boards were dragging for at least 2 seconds on each curve. And the bike never felt better or more planted. It was kind of weird... normally dragging the boards makes me a little nervous but that day I never felt more confident on the Voyager. It's hard to say that everything can be attributed to the tires but I didn't make any other changes to the bike this winter and this is the third set of tires on the Voyager.

So far I'm sold on the Elite 4's and the taller/narrower rear size.

Only down side is my love handles are hurting. My wife HATES dragging floorboards, and as soon as it happens the first thing she does is grab me by the handles. But, it's a price I'm willing to pay! LOL

·
Registered
269 Posts
Pluses:
Bike feels planted - great dry weather handling
Inspire Confidence - Lets drag the boards!
Minuses:
Bruised love handles.

I am starting a list you know ;-)

Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, I forgot about updating this thread :surprise:

Rolled past 22,700 miles this afternoon. And with nearly 8,000 miles the rear tire has 4/32" remaining of the original 11/32". If my math is correct I should get just over 10,000 miles from the rear tire (using 2/32" as worn out) That's better than the 5,000 miles I got from the OE tire (changed it at 6,000 miles when bald in the center) but I was expecting closer to 20,000 miles for the price. I will say I showed these tires no mercy, I haven't done any burnouts but the WOT 0 to 80MPH runs have been commonplace :devil2: But I do keep an eye on the air pressure and top them off as needed.

I've got very few miles in wet conditions so I can't really comment on that.

But dry handling is good. It does follow cracks more than I'd like but I can't say they're worse than any other tires I've had. Not sure if it's the narrower size or just the tire itself but I REALLY like the way the Voyager handles in the turns on these. Couple of days ago I was running Pine River Road (a good twisty road for my area) and I was dragging the rh floorboard to the point the board pushed up what felt like an inch. And it just felt planted, no drama at all. Did I mention I like these in the twisties? Yeah I do. lol

I'll be running these tires for another 6 weeks OR till they're worn out, whichever comes first. I'm taking a week long trip to Tennessee for some bucket list riding so new rubber is going on for that. New tires are Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra 130/90-16 and 170/70-16 picked them up for $264.57 from OEM Cycleshop on ebay. Ebay had a coupon for 15% off anything over $100. ChaChing!

That's all for now.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for the update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts