Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends, about to buy first motorcycle helmet and jacket in 35 years, and it's a new world out there!
Everything seems better designed and made these days for safety. So I'd like your opinion and /or commentary.
Now for a helmet, I'm looking at a Nolan Helmets N104 Evo
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T6JAN8K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3TGC5XRRCX4P2

And for the jacket a Pilot Men's Trans.Urban Motorcycle Touring Jacket
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJMP1NO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any thoughts? I would LOVE to have a modular full face to be able to put up at stop signs, etc... but
I fear that they don't protect your face as well as a full solid one..... any thoughts??
The jacket, that european style I like, but is it as protecting as other good ones???
THANKS...!!!! pete

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
About the jacket, is this going to be for warm weather? I have a VERY similar jacket, which I think does a good job at everything except being cool. By the time it hits 80°, I have every vent open and the main zipper down to about nipple level, and I'm still sweating non stop. It's black, not high viz, but the lack of venting for Florida is what makes it too hot for me. Mine is a Tourmaster Transition 3, which looks to be almost identical to the one you linked to. I went through buying a new jacket last year and studied a LOT of different models before I accepted that the jacket I wanted didn't exist at a price I was willing to pay, so I had to determine what was most important and keep looking.

My only suggestions on helmets are to try on as many as possible to find what you like. Different brands and even different models from the same brand fit differently. Poorly fitting helmets suck. Good luck with the search.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any thoughts? I would LOVE to have a modular full face to be able to put up at stop signs, etc... but
I fear that they don't protect your face as well as a full solid one..... any thoughts??
The jacket, that european style I like, but is it as protecting as other good ones???
THANKS...!!!! pete
I don't have any first hand experience with the gear you picked out, but can echo a bit of what others told you: Try to get to a store and try some things on. See what sizes fit you best and then check that against the company's sizing chart. That what, when you're looking at different brands you can gave a good idea of what fits you well. A 2XL jacket may be a different size from brand to brand, but inches and centimeters are pretty consistent across sizing charts.

As far as modular helmets go, its true, they don't protect you as well as full face helmets when it comes to chin contact in a crash. That being said, I wear a modular. I weighed the risk of less overall protection if something happens vs the reward of the flexibility of a modular helmet. I also made sure I spent the money on my helmet and got something I was comfortable with, both in fit as well as safety. I trust the ECE rating on my modular far more than the DOT sticker on it.

As far as jacket protection, that one you picked our looks fine. CE1 armor in the elbows and shoulders is what you want. If you can get it in the back as well, that is a definite plus.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have an N104 Absolute, which came out after the EVO. I owned an N102 before that. I am a huge fan of Nolan. They may be slightly heavier that other helmets at the price point, but the fit and noise level for me is outstanding. I also like the N-Com system was designed to be integrated into the helmet. So, in my opinion you made a great choice LOL.

I have no experience with the Pilot brand, but for that price point there are known brands such as First Gear, Olympia and Tourmaster that will probably hold up longer. I'll try and link to Revzilla for comparison

https://www.revzilla.com/hi-viz-motorcycle-jackets#v2-page=1&page_size=96&sort=price_low&tab=all&implicit_facets[]=423&implicit_facets[]=234

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Modular helmets have gotten better over the years. You're not giving up as much safety now as you did even a few years ago.

What I think is more important is fit and comfort. Helmets are designed to fit certain head shapes, from oval to round. What is very comfortable to someone else could be agony for you. If it doesn't fit right, it can come off very easily in a crash making the modular vs full face argument moot. If it is not comfortable, it will be an unsafe distraction. Find a helmet that fits nice and snug and that you can wear all day without appreciable discomfort. If you are more concerned with air flow than wind noise or vice versa, that will affect your decision, too.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Another good modular is a Shark Evoline 3. The design allows you to use it as an open face as well. I've had mine for 2 years and love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts