Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was waiting to get my 2008 V2k LT , I spent a good bit of time reading thru mosts of the posts here. I recall reading about adding a thin washer or shim to or behind a gear that supposedly improved the clunkiness of going from neutral into first gear. But I can't find it now. It seems like I read about it within a thread about euro gears. Anybody here recall what this particular mod is and should I/how do I do it?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
When I was waiting to get my 2008 V2k LT , I spent a good bit of time reading thru mosts of the posts here. I recall reading about adding a thin washer or shim to or behind a gear that supposedly improved the clunkiness of going from neutral into first gear. But I can't find it now. It seems like I read about it within a thread about euro gears. Anybody here recall what this particular mod is and should I/how do I do it?
Should you do it, only you can say. The noise doesn't seem to cause any problems.

To do it you have to -

Remove the pipes, remove the fuel tank, drain the oil, drain the coolant, then remove the outer transmission cover. and possibly the inner transmission cover. There is a gasket between the outer and inner cover and between the inner cover and the engine/transmission. There are also some O-rings on the various water and oil pipes necessary to disconnect/remove, you might consider replacing as well. According to the service manual the locknut on the gear shaft should be replaced too.

Then, once you have access to the 36mm nut, you have to take it off and the washer that's already there, then put in a shim that fits over the splines to take up the small gap, and reassemble.

The coolant is sorta a PITA since you have to have the tank off to get to the filler and bleed it, you have to install (partially) the tank and remove it again (maybe a couple of times) to be sure the cooling system is fully packed with coolant.

I dunno if the washer they have there is a mistake or if the axial play is by design. Considering they made the VN2K for around 10 years I have a hard time believing someone didn't notice such a mistake. Can't explain why such a fit as it is would be specified, but sometimes engineering reasons aren't completely obvious.

FWIW, most of the driveline clunks seem to go away if you just run it a little faster/higher RPM in each gear. It's a big engine with lots of torque, but the complete package doesn't really seem to like low speeds all that well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts