Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife has become interested in learning to ride. To teach her, we are going to be using my brother-in-law's Ninja 250 (mostly because he let a friend borrow it and the dude dropped it, causing all kinds of body damage). She has decided that she wants a cruiser. Harley is out of the question completely, mostly due to the fact that I'm not paying a shit ton of money for a bike and the maintenance that goes with it just because of the name. She likes the look of the Triumph America 845, and the Honda Shadow Phantom 750. I tried to get her interested in the Vulcan 900 but she wasn't as comfortable on that one. We also looked at a Boulevard (750 I believe), but it was a few years old and has about 21k on it. For about 2-3k more, we can just buy her a brand new bike. Right now, I think she leans more toward the look and feel of the Triumph. I am a little more familiar with the Shadow, as a 750 Shadow was my first bike. Any input that may help the decision?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Right now, I think she leans more toward the look and feel of the Triumph. I am a little more familiar with the Shadow, as a 750 Shadow was my first bike. Any input that may help the decision?
triumph has come a long way, new thier product is still pricey, maintenance and resale is small audience.
Honda. name says it all. bullet proof. 750 vtwins are xcellent. Reasonable in all categories. Good handling, great bike to cut teeth on. you can't go wrong with this choice. poncho

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i love the extra almost 1k they tack onto the price for delivery, assembly, and initial setup...i used to sell cars, and at least on the cars, all those little "extras" are included in the MSRP...8299 MSRP on the Triumph soon came out to 8999

·
Registered
702 Posts
+1 on Ponch's comments, the Honda 750 is a great bike. There's always lots of them on Craigslist in my area used with low miles. Usually can get a nice one for less than $4000

Also, I've seen brand new leftover models at the dealer for under $7000 too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1 on Ponch's comments, the Honda 750 is a great bike. There's always lots of them on Craigslist in my area used with low miles. Usually can get a nice one for less than $4000

Also, I've seen brand new leftover models at the dealer for under $7000 too.
The 2014 750 Shadow Phantom I'm looking at is 7599...the only parts not black are the mirrors and pipes...beautiful bike. I love the Shadow 750, it was my first bike and was a great ride. I go back on Monday to test ride it. They didn't have ANY that were ride ready, just sitting pretty on the showroom floor. Any off topic...the Fury, white with red frame, is a sick looking bike...

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I know I'm late on this discussion. My vote for a good starter bike is the Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc). classic cruiser style in a size that is easily handled. You can get them used for a very good price. Shaft drive and a very low maintenance bike

·
Registered
109 Posts
Harley is out of the question completely, mostly due to the fact that I'm not paying a shit ton of money for a bike and the maintenance that goes with it just because of the name.
Actually, the Harley Street 750 is in the same price range as the Honda Shadows. I spent all of last weekend on the Street 500 and found it to fit me very well and easy to handle as a first bike. The only downside I found was that the clutch and brake levers are not adjustable.

I have also found that my Vulcan 500 suits me very well. I have no issue with reaching anything, it's easy to handle and has plenty of pick up for where I'm at in my riding skills at the moment.

The best advice I can give you is: This is her bike. Her comfort level counts more than what you want her to have. I have been told "get a small bike", "don't get a small bike"...when in reality the one thing I have found to be true is "Don't buy a new bike". With the new bike, if you get into it and discover it's not for you (whether it's the bike or you discover that you don't enjoy riding), you're upside down financially and stuck with a bike and a payment.

We have a friend's Triumph Bonneville sitting in our garage for that very reason.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Get the one SHE is comfortable with or you'll never here the end of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So my wife has become interested in learning to ride. To teach her, we are going to be using my brother-in-law's Ninja 250 (mostly because he let a friend borrow it and the dude dropped it, causing all kinds of body damage). She has decided that she wants a cruiser. Harley is out of the question completely, mostly due to the fact that I'm not paying a shit ton of money for a bike and the maintenance that goes with it just because of the name. She likes the look of the Triumph America 845, and the Honda Shadow Phantom 750. I tried to get her interested in the Vulcan 900 but she wasn't as comfortable on that one. We also looked at a Boulevard (750 I believe), but it was a few years old and has about 21k on it. For about 2-3k more, we can just buy her a brand new bike. Right now, I think she leans more toward the look and feel of the Triumph. I am a little more familiar with the Shadow, as a 750 Shadow was my first bike. Any input that may help the decision?

My wife started on a 750 Honda and then went to a VTX1300. She traded the VTX for it was to heavy for her and got herself a 900 Truimph. She loves the triumph.
The orange bike is the 750 Shadow and the blue bike is the VTX..

What unit where you with as a MP....I was with the 89th BDE......

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts