Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Vulcan 900 Custom 2013
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first bike ever. I got a Vulcan 900 Custom 2013 from a private seller. Bike is in great conditions but and I knew I wanted a Vulcan for a while so I jumped. Any tips or tricks for a brand new owner and rider would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Congratulations on your new ride and entering the world of motorcycling. Beat tip would be, take a Motorcycle Safety Course. Never know when a learned response will be needed to keep you safe. Here is the safety novel. Some basic tips would be never tailgate, don’t ride behind large trucks, buses, or any vehicle with a trailer. Stay back from cars when at lights and always focus behind you and for an escape route when sitting there. You may have to bolt if someone is not stopping. Wear bright clothing or one of those construction high visibility vests if traveling in congested areas. You are not out there to be a fashion statement. Learn to not look at the scenery when you are in any kind of traffic. Don’t ride in anyone’s blind spots. Slow down when approaching emergency vehicles, railroad tracks, and intersections with a lot of on and off ramps. Focus on your driving even when the car next to you has waving kids or a hot looking babe. Always look where you want to go even if it way down the road. Bikers run off the road because they focused on the curve and not the end of it. Always when some form of gloves. If you fall putting your hands down will slow you down. Ride only with fellow riders who know how to ride and do not drink, drug, or take unnecessary chances. Do not ride two up until you are more experienced. Put you feet back on the pegs immediately after moving. Do not put your feet down until stopped. Do not use you feet as some kind of balancing device. When stopped In traffic or at a light in busy areas, do not put the bike in neutral, keep it in gear. Never know when you might have to move quickly in an emergency. Watch out for road conditions and anything in the road that might be hazardous. Dead animals, sand, parts that fell off vehicles, leaves, etc...Once saw a guy fall because he hit caterpillars that fell out of a tree that hung over a country road. If you relax on a motorcycle like you do in a car, the situation has the ability to become dangerous quickly. Your chance of a head on collision increases by over 200% on small two lane roads. Remember a fender bender with a vehicle sends the motorcyclist to the hospital. Google motorcycle safety tips and look at the videos. Get a dozen plastic cones and set up in a quiet parking lot. Practice braking, swerving, panic stops, quick take offs, and any other maneuver that scares you on the bike. I could go on and on. Bikers get hurt when they show off or lose their focus. Practice, practice, practice, until the safe way becomes the habit way. Well those are all my tips. I don’t have tricks to convey. Thanks again for joining the forum. Glad you are here. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Super Moderator
706 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. The Vulcan is a good, dependable bike that will give you years of trouble free riding if you keep it maintained. How about a picture of your new ride?

Tourer covered the safety side of it pretty well. Make sure you get a good leather jacket or a mesh one with armor, riding boots, a good pair of gloves and some armored riding pants are a good idea too. Dress for the crash, not the ride.

Whenever you swing your leg over the seat, imagine every other vehicle on the road is trying to kill you. Yes, it's that bad. Drive ULTRA defensively. Learn to anticipate what a car may do. The scariest thing for me is a car making a left turn in front of me. Will they see me? I weave if I'm not sure to make myself more visible.

Leave yourself an escape route when stopped at a light in case the car behind you doesn't see you, and always keep it in first, clutch in at lights so you can make a quick escape.

·
Registered
Vulcan 900 Custom 2013
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Congratulations on your new ride and entering the world of motorcycling. Beat tip would be, take a Motorcycle Safety Course. Never know when a learned response will be needed to keep you safe. Here is the safety novel. Some basic tips would be never tailgate, don’t ride behind large trucks, buses, or any vehicle with a trailer. Stay back from cars when at lights and always focus behind you and for an escape route when sitting there. You may have to bolt if someone is not stopping. Wear bright clothing or one of those construction high visibility vests if traveling in congested areas. You are not out there to be a fashion statement. Learn to not look at the scenery when you are in any kind of traffic. Don’t ride in anyone’s blind spots. Slow down when approaching emergency vehicles, railroad tracks, and intersections with a lot of on and off ramps. Focus on your driving even when the car next to you has waving kids or a hot looking babe. Always look where you want to go even if it way down the road. Bikers run off the road because they focused on the curve and not the end of it. Always when some form of gloves. If you fall putting your hands down will slow you down. Ride only with fellow riders who know how to ride and do not drink, drug, or take unnecessary chances. Do not ride two up until you are more experienced. Put you feet back on the pegs immediately after moving. Do not put your feet down until stopped. Do not use you feet as some kind of balancing device. When stopped In traffic or at a light in busy areas, do not put the bike in neutral, keep it in gear. Never know when you might have to move quickly in an emergency. Watch out for road conditions and anything in the road that might be hazardous. Dead animals, sand, parts that fell off vehicles, leaves, etc...Once saw a guy fall because he hit caterpillars that fell out of a tree that hung over a country road. If you relax on a motorcycle like you do in a car, the situation has the ability to become dangerous quickly. Your chance of a head on collision increases by over 200% on small two lane roads. Remember a fender bender with a vehicle sends the motorcyclist to the hospital. Google motorcycle safety tips and look at the videos. Get a dozen plastic cones and set up in a quiet parking lot. Practice braking, swerving, panic stops, quick take offs, and any other maneuver that scares you on the bike. I could go on and on. Bikers get hurt when they show off or lose their focus. Practice, practice, practice, until the safe way becomes the habit way. Well those are all my tips. I don’t have tricks to convey. Thanks again for joining the forum. Glad you are here. Be well and Ride Safely.

Thank you for all the amazing advice. Yes I already signed up for MSF classes, in addition i also signed up for private classes one-on-one with a instructor. I promised my fiancee that I would do this as safe as possible and I am super excited after my first class.

Thank you so much for all the great tips.

·
Registered
Vulcan 900 Custom 2013
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. The Vulcan is a good, dependable bike that will give you years of trouble free riding if you keep it maintained. How about a picture of your new ride?

Tourer covered the safety side of it pretty well. Make sure you get a good leather jacket or a mesh one with armor, riding boots, a good pair of gloves and some armored riding pants are a good idea too. Dress for the crash, not the ride.

Whenever you swing your leg over the seat, imagine every other vehicle on the road is trying to kill you. Yes, it's that bad. Drive ULTRA defensively. Learn to anticipate what a car may do. The scariest thing for me is a car making a left turn in front of me. Will they see me? I weave if I'm not sure to make myself more visible.

Leave yourself an escape route when stopped at a light in case the car behind you doesn't see you, and always keep it in first, clutch in at lights so you can make a quick escape.

Those are some of the things that scare me the most. I live in SF and people are not the best drivers here. But since we are in lockdown there are so much less drivers out there so I thought it would be a good way to get started and learn the city as well as get use to their bad drivers.

I already got all my gear. ATGATT was perhaps the first thing I learned about motorcycles.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
108 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania and congratulations on starting your new lifestyle! Looks like everyone covered the important parts of starting the journey, so have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts