Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife & I & our friends, went on our first "big" ride this weekend. Round trip it was 571 miles. It was a total blast! we took our time, stopped a bunch, the girls boozed up and we just cruised! we went through the "Avenue of Giants" in the redwood forest and took 101 up the coast to Eureka. I figured out 2 things 1. Bike is a little under powered, but we can do a little modding to fix that for now 2. MY ASS HURTS! I will be looking at ordering a new seat TONIGHT!! lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im 6-6 and 240# my wife, {i better just say less} lol with both of us and gear we were pushing the 400# limit. It might just be the physical size of the bike, Im a big guy so everything is a size challenge and doesnt always feel right at first. This was our first big run, so maybe it was just me IDK yet, but I still think I can do a few mods and will "feel" better about everything. That make sense?

·
Registered
249 Posts
My wife and I are pushing 420# and we have no problem maintaining 70-75 on the Super Slab. I harp on this a lot, but these bikes are designed to run in the high rpm ranges. I find that many people are simply shifting up too quickly ... particularly when merging onto the Interstate. If you are in 5th gear before 65 mph when merging onto the Interstate, you've shifted through the lower gears too soon. I'm not saying that you don't know how to ride or anything. I'm just stating that this is a common problem with new owners of this model.

That being said, it IS a 900cc motorcycle and was built for cruising comfortably at highway speeds of about 50-55 mph. Given your height and size (and assuming you plan on taking the Interstate for long stretches) the Nomad may have been a better choice. It's longer, wider, heavier, and quite a bit more powerful.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I thought that maybe I had the same problem when 2 up, me at 265 and the wife allot lower. But how fast do you really need to go. I can run 75-80 on the interstate, no problem. Slow to respond, a little, but we are riding a CRUISER, not a jet rocket.

Now, of course, I did complete the Redneck intake mod this weekend. We did 115 miles on Monday, on some twisties roads, and there was more umph in the throttle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts