Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last year I bought a vn900 custom SE it wasn't fast enough so I had to do the add on's. This is my first bike so I know nothing about the mechanics of them. I added a tornadoe intake, power commander5, and Lowandmean pipes. The pipes are short, and the bike does back fire a little. But when people are riding behind me they say I'm running really rich. Then at night when riding they say I'm blowing flames out the pipes. That if I have it spooled up and let up on the throttle. I know I need to get the bike on a dyno and a custom map. But how bad is it to ride the bike like this? It might be some time before I can dump a few hundo in it for those services.

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts
as a fellow 900C SE rider...pics of the bike, please!!! :)

also, these bikes are not meant of performance, they call them cruisers for a reason. As far as adding pipes, intake, fuel processor, etc...you're not going to see big gains in performance. so don't be disappointed when you see the dyno.

that being said, it sounds like you don't have your fuel processor mapped correctly or they didn't replace the crush gaskets when you changed the pipes. You should be able to call the company who made your fuel processor and get a map that is closer...just be sure to tell them what mods you have done.

hope that helps!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have to agree with angliam. You need to get that mapped correctly. I had the same problems with my hardkromes, and my Fi2000. I changed the settings, but I also had bad crush gaskets. I found out when I put my hand down by the where the pipes connect, I could actually feel air pulsing out. I did this right when after starting the bike when it was cold so I wouldn't burn myself. I replaced the gaskets and it took care of the problem. One of the old gaskets actually came apart in two pieces. I have a feeling they might have been the original factory gaskets.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Right when I added my PCIII I loaded the wrong map and when riding at night friend would tell me the same thing "dude we see flames coming out of your pipes". A few weeks later I changed the map to a closer one and so far no one has mentioned anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts