Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So...I hate vibrate-y mounts. I hate big bulky mounts. I hate mounts that require 37 steps to hold, de-squeeze, unhook rubber nets...... And I really hate mounts that barely hold the phone because you have to not have the contact points touching the buttons.

I bought one of these and I've been using it all season. It's solid, it's nearly invisible when the phone's in it, and the phone slides down in and it tightens with one 'thumb and forefinger twist' of the thumbscrew. And, once you snug it down, the phone stays put.
Now that I rode with it all season, and just did a 3-day trip around the Cabot Trail, along with staying 2 nights in a wilderness campground that required riding a dirt road (washboard and potholes) to get to it (like 8 times over the 3 days, I think)...I can say that it is indeed a quality piece of gear and does exactly what it says it does.

I have it in the center of the bars on my LT. I used only the pieces that came with it, to mount it. It sits at the perfect angle, and with a 90-degree plug it clears the speedo bezel just fine. A straight plug, not so much...but a 90 is the answer on a bike...not as much leverage to bust the phone plug off the circuit board, etc etc...

If you have a thick case, this may not be the answer. The model that I bought anyway... Mine has little 'feet' that curve around the edge of the phone, so when you loosen the thumbscrew a bit, you can slide the phone up and out, but not pull it straight out forwards. I have a Pixel 3 that I use now, no case. I also was able to use my LG-G5 with a cheap, non-bulky case. You'll need to sort that out for yourself....there's different models, etc.

Anyway...G.U.B. Lots of good reviews from the mountain bike community, and some from bikers. Mark from BikerBits did a little video on the one that he got. Love that guy...if he can mount one up and it stays on a DR650 through the Aussie bush.....well, it's gotta be good!

I absolutely love that I can give it a half-twist, side the phone out, take a picture, etc, and slide it back in and a half twist and it's done. I came from an X-Grip with the rubber crap thing...ugh. (Squeeze, sproing, try again, mash the volume button, fiddle with the rubber crap thing....get on the highway and see you forgot to attach the rubber safety net thing...)

Anyway...it's survived a season, never slipped, sagged, moved on the bar....super happy. And, as a Canadian, I was able to find one on ebay for like $24..shipped. (Other Canadians will understand). You guys in the US, they'll likely pay YOU to buy one.

Consider it as an option...different models, different sizes....I can't comment on the other models but I have the Plus 6 and it's been perfect. Great price, good quality, solid unit.
Oh, and I bought 2...the other one has a RAM mount, similar to how BikerBits set his up...and it's on my side by side. Also super happy with that set-up.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Reactions: rc4man and NCPiper

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
2020 VN900D Classic LT
249 Posts
Pretty good.. I currently use the springy 'X' style RAM holder he showed in the video. The phone hasn't slipped out, but I always think about it.

I like the side screw tightener on the GUB... and the fact that I can use my RAM ball mount to fasten it to my bike like he did. Great idea.. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1500
64 Posts
I went with something similar on my Mean Streak and have been happy with it. I've also used extensively on another bike and has held up very well:

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Maybe I'm too cautious, but I would not trust my expensive cell phone to a bicycle mount. I wouldn't even trust that iMESTOU mount if that 360° joint can come unscrewed, allowing the phone to fall off. I barely trust the X-Grip I have. I only use it because most mounts I've seen interfere with the buttons on my S9. I usually keep it in my zippered suit breast pocket unless I'm charging it.

·
Registered
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1500
64 Posts
I understand your caution, but i can definitely vouch for it being effective.. i ran it on my dual sport over rough terrain for several months and it has seen 100+mph on the meanie with no issues.. And best of all its metal.. i used to run a plastic bike mount on my former Honda Fury and had it on there for 5 years with no issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts