Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
get that resistor mod done?
TB2000,

I've completed the mod. I rode for about 40 miles and I love it. I have an 04 so the 1st and 2nd made a big difference. My Freedom Pipes came in today. I will install it this weekend if the weather is not so cold.

·
Registered
754 Posts
is there a write up for how to do this which ohm resistor to use and such.
This is what I used for my bike. The stock number is PPC432ZCT-ND. It's a 432 OHM Metal film .60W 1%. www.digikey.com

There is a thread here. Use the search option and type: 5th gear resistor mod.

Read that thread. Should give you good info. Plenty of people here to assist you through the mod.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is what I used for my bike. The stock number is PPC432ZCT-ND. It's a 432 OHM Metal film .60W 1%. www.digikey.com

There is a thread here. Use the search option and type: 5th gear resistor mod.

Read that thread. Should give you good info. Plenty of people here to assist you through the mod.
I am prety confident i can pull it off, i want to do this while i was in there wireing up radio. thanks

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
What year is your 2K?

I believe the resistor mod only applies to the pre-07 or pre-08 models. I know it doesn't apply to my 08. Don't recall exactly the model year break but that info is here, somewhere, on the forum.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I believe he has an 04. If I am not mistaken the 07 is the last year you can do the resistor mod on. 08 and up is a no go.

·
Registered
228 Posts
What year is your 2K?

I believe the resistor mod only applies to the pre-07 or pre-08 models. I know it doesn't apply to my 08. Don't recall exactly the model year break but that info is here, somewhere, on the forum.
Mine is an 05, they say on these other fourms you can do it to any year, but 04-05 is the most signifcant gain.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I think the other forums are incorrect in that assessment. The 08 and newer bikes don't have the same type of gear position sensing setup for/with resistors.

It was discussed/reviewed pretty thoroughly here in that other thread I mentioned.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think the other forums are incorrect in that assessment. The 08 and newer bikes don't have the same type of gear position sensing setup for/with resistors.

It was discussed/reviewed pretty thoroughly here in that other thread I mentioned.
IDK could be the case. but i think i found all the info i needed to make this happen now just getting a resistor. I wanna do it this weekend so gonna look aorund town before i buy online.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
You should be able to buy something at a Radio Shack, et al. Might have to buy a pack of 5, but it's still quite low cost, and won't be 1%. Don't recall what the necessary tolerance is to work on the bike, but the values typically on common resistors is 5% or 10%, then finding the approprate value on the shelf so it all works regarding the necessary value and tolerance window.

I'm fortunate that DigiKey isn't too far from me. It's not unusual for me to get the parts next day by USPS mail. Worst case is 2nd day via USPS.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
most folks that have reported on here end up purchasing online, I don't know if it is for convenience sake or if they can't find them at electronic stores. But for some reason I was thinking it was necessary to have a 1% and that some people have been hit and miss on some of the others. But like I said. Its from memory. I did not go and look it up.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I think it's a matter of convenience and cost and getting exactly what you want.

Since DigiKey has essentially no minimum order and will ship USPS First Class, you can get the right value of 1% resistor to your door for probably under $3. It'll cost more than than to go to a local Radio Shack to try to find then buy some. That said, I completely understand sometimes timing considerations outweight other factors.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is there a write up for how to do this which ohm resistor to use and such.
I own the CM shop so I have million and million of parts in stock. You can also go to the local store and buy 1/2 watts 5% of 330 ohms + 100ohms + 2 ohms (or 1ohm + 1ohm) and wire them up in series then you should have 432 ohms. Even though the resistors said 5%, but they often read very close to their values. This is to trick the sensor so several ohms below or above 432ohms is still working fine. I would not worry about the tolerance. When I had mine wired up, it read exactly 432ohms with 5% tolerance resistors.
If you can't find the resistors let me know and I can make one and send them to you.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
... go to a local Radio Shack to try to find then buy some.
Radio Shack quit carrying stuff like that a while back (at least they did here). It's just a cell phone/toy store now. And all the electronics stores around here are gone. Product of the age of disposable electronics, I spose.

I got mine online (sorry, I don't remember where-probably DigiKey). I couldn't bring myself to order just one, just because of the price vs. shipping cost (stupid, I know). I ordered 5, and as guys on here needed them, I sent them out (hint, hint).

And sorry, I just sent the last one out a couple days ago.;)

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Radio Shack quit carrying stuff like that a while back (at least they did here). It's just a cell phone/toy store now. And all the electronics stores around here are gone. Product of the age of disposable electronics, I spose.
Yeah, that's mostly what it is around here too although the two closest to me both still have small, albeit occasionally useful, hobbyist/parts sections.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts