Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just some pics of my Harbor Freight #66771 Tag Along Trailer. Seems to pull really nice. You know it's back there though. Bike accelerates slower, takes a bit more throttle to maintain but no problems really. I've only got about 40 miles on it so I don't know much yet, but took these pics at work.

This picture is from the side to show the length from nose to tail of the new setup. I am twice as long now.

A shot from the back to get an idea of the width. The trailer is sized in width to fit the topper, or the topper is naturally the size of the trailer, either way, it fits nice and doesn't wobble with stock tongue length which evidently a lot of folks worry about. There is room up front for a cooler rack/spare tire storage, whatever.

After the first empty test hop you GOTTA put SOMETHING in there. I needed something to drink at work. Peach Fresca, some bottled water, squeeze Parkay and some popcorn oil. Not much but it's a load and that's all that counts. Not like I was going to load it up with rocks but I did threaten a neighbor when I found out she had a load of wood mulch coming to put in between her the raised rows in her garden. Lesse, how many loads per cubic yard, hmmm.

Now my OLD Sears topper, and the ones I had before, had plate metal hood supports. They scissored to fold and put the top down. Those worked but these Gas Air shocks are pretty neat. The only thing is I've replaced dozens of the Gas Air shocks on printer hoods over the years and never had to replace a plate metal support. If I use this trailer a couple times a year it won't be too many trips before I have to replace the cylinders. Then again, the shocks I've replaced were pretty old, we'll see. It's purty cool right now though.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Good set-up Clean.....and I was so proud of my new rack and bag......

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you know what the problem is, three years ago I NEEDED a truck and bought a motorcycle.

Now I have the truck as well and can't get by without a bed to throw stuff in whatever I drive. Get some pictures of that new setup of yours, wanna see the bag for trips that don't require camping setups.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Very Cool...very cool. The swimbo and I have talked about a trailer. We only use the cage for groceries...

T

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THAT looks really nice, but with my tight butt I think STICKERS are gonna be the order of the day. And black makes my rear look smaller.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just getting ready for bed now and wanted to update and finish this post. First off, typing on a laptop when you are used to a carpal tunnel keyboard sucks. 2nd, as I remember and have had little chance to re-enjoy, Eureka Springs, Arkansas ROCKS!!!! You can keep you're silly dragon, dragon keepers.

Finally, the trailer has worked great. Surprisingly me with very little effort on acceleration habits and pretty much staying at the speed limit of not more than 70 mph(most of the first tank) and 55-65 (second tank) I have gotten 40.3 and 44.7 mph respectively. I didn't expect that good of mileage. I can only assume that my bike/bags and me configuration does most of the blocking of the wind and that the trailer sits or extends the vacuum behind the bike with little additional vacuum created. Any other fuel losses come from trying to accelerate more weight and another axle with the same aggressiveness that just the bike has. I had been following our lead bike for most of the day and we finally got to the first set of curves coming in. I pulled the clutch and goosed the throttle a couple times to indicate my excitement and it appears to have been more than the leader could take as his Wing just took off. I giggled and kept into the throttle to slowly catch up with him. The next time we had to get around some slower to the right traffic I caught up quicker BUT not quick enough for the V2K that was behind me and made me the slower to the right traffic for a brief second. We kept up our legal but hard riding rate for the next 10 minutes and then came up behind some guy in his HUGE SUV that took some of the 15 mph corners at 2 mph. And there was no way to get around him. Needless to say the 5 other bikes and one SUV/trailer combination taking up our rear caught up with us about 10 minutes later. They evidently were caught behind a different car OR were just riding at a more sane rate. I don't remember any other vehicle as they disappeared in my rear view, hmmmm.

4th note, people that pulled KP at Christ's final dinner date shouldn't be allowed to drive tanks on wheels in the mountains if there are any people on motorcycles looking to have a good time anywhere in the 5 state region. Really, is there anywhere you really NEED to go? I didn't think so. You've seen it all.

Finally, you do know the trailer is there in acceleration/deceleration. There is a bit of force in hard cornering as well but it was easily controlled OR I just didn't exceed my abilities. Be careful and feel it out. As with most things motorcycle related everything will be fine till if falls out from under you.

I mounted Key faub spy cams on the trailer looking forward, on my luggage rack looking aft and my speedo bezel looking at me. The trailer forward is half black trailer and some of my back and sky. The rack back is 3/4 trailer and blue sky. The Bezel worked great but is just a constant look at me from under my chin for an hour and a half. Oh, I laugh once in a while, sing a bit, bop my head but mostly just stare straight ahead as we're riding and it's, well, how do you put it,, BOOORRRRIIIIINNNNNGGGGG.

Good looking though.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
LOL, great post. Thanks for the update on the ride and the trailer, MrClean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts