Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im pulling the trigger, ive had enough the coarse pavement down here eats up MC tires like crazy ! 3000 miles on the last one, 3 in 10,000 miles, and i have a bit of a heavy throttle hand i just cant help it.. Toyo in a 205-60-16 is about the best i can do , Opinions and comments please, i need to know if Toyo is ok never have had one ... Bulldozer

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Couple of things to keep in mind when looking at car tires for the bike:
1) You want a symmetrical pattern on the left and right sides,
2) Look for a tire that has a "rounded" edge rather than a "sharp" transition from the rolling surface to the sidewall.

Best of luck, you won't regret making the change.

Edit: Thought of something else to keep in mind... If your speedometer is driven off your transmission rather than your front tire, try to maintain approximately the same circumference as you had on the motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes sir , i thought about the rounded edges and not having alot of choices the Toyo doesnt look to bad.... I have a Metz 880 on the front i dont suppose there is a difference on which front tire to run ? I still have my Bridge rock with 3k miles on it or a Metz with 3k miles both look really good ... Thanks for helping the rookie,Bulldozer

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
+1000 on the research, read everything you can find!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steel M. & Helek i appreciate the input ! I have actually read so much about the Car Tire subject im shittin tires..... I just cant seem to find a whole lot of info about Toyo and unfortunately since i live in S. America i have very limited choices other than some Chinese brand ive never heard of Toyo is it at least in this size 205-60-16 ( and of coarse im going with this size cause Ponch said to ) the only tire i can find. I have searched around for weeks and this seems like my best bet, just not alot of info on this particular brand on a Motorcycle.. Thanks, Bulldozer

·
Registered
126 Posts
Depending on the tires profile, you can go bigger as well (and correct some of that built in speedo error you hear so much about) I mounted a 225/60/16 on my v2k and it works just fine.....rubs just a little tiny bit on the side, but after about 14k It still hasn't worn all the way through the sidewall lettering leading me to believe it only rubs when I am riding 2up and bottom out. Again, different tires have different shapes so there are no guarantees, but if you snoop around some of the links I posted earlier, you may be able to track down a reference to toyo tires. Is it not an option for you to order online and have it shipped? I realize it might cost a little more that way but trust me, it will still be WAY cheaper than a mt in the long run.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In the database link (the third one in my previous post) there are a couple of guys listed as using toyo tires....a couple of Goldwings, a rocket 3 and a couple of valkyries among some others. If you look at the rider name (11th column) and then search that name in the delphi forums (second link in previous post) you might be able to track down some of those guys and PM them with your thoughts\ questions\ concerns. Other than that the only thing I can suggest is give it a try. I don't know what those tires are gonna cost ya, but for most, even if you don't like it, it's a relatively cheap experiment compared to the price of bike tires.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Toyo is $90.00 the Chinese tire is $37.00 im a little slow but there aint no way im runnin a $37.00 tire on this bike, besides first time i gas it it will probably peel off the tread.. I have seen where a couple of guys have listed the Toyos as there choice for DS tires but i havnt been able to find any more comments ! You guys are the best and i really appreciate the help, to ship tires here would triple the cost my Metzlers cost me $500.00 to get here i just hope the front one lasts for awhile.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just noticed you've got 4 in the stable! South America must be good to you! Not sure which toyo your looking at, but I shot over to their site....looks like they have a few that fit the general description (aka what most people say is 'right' for a darkside tire) Again, for 90 bucks compared to 500 for a metz? I'd say give it a try.....not a huge loss if you don't like the result.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Just a side note that, um.... (MrClean, maybe?) suggested. Polish the heck out of the seating surface on your rims prior to mounting the tires. It really cuts down on the amount of pressure required to seat the bead.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well im officially in the club ! Got my Toyo mounted ( $2.00 ) went on easy had her all polished and ready . My first time to actually remove and reinstall my rear wheel, so if i bite the pavement it wont be the tire it will be because i left something off or loose. Any way took a short ride around the area and heck im not sure what the bid deal is cause its not THAT much different, just a bit weird. Tomorrow we will take a longer trip i will just go nice and easy till me and the tire are broke in... Oh one of my HD ridin buddies came by he is jumpin up and down sayin i am CRAZY , oh well isnt everyone a little nuts that rides ? Bulldozer, hoping the beast is back together correctly.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
What are you running for air pressure?

I found that the "weird" part for me was just getting it settled in my head. The bike really behaves pretty much the same, IMO.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome to the darkside!!!
As Helek says, once you get your head settled, and put a few serious miles on it you'll forget it's even back there, except for trying to think of new ways to spend all the cash your gonna save by buying cheaper, longer lasting tires.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
try pinchin a 225 this time

I have actually read so much about the Car Tire subject im shittin tires..... at least in this size 205-60-16 ( and of coarse im going with this size cause Ponch said to ) .. Thanks, Bulldozer
bd, pinchin a tire are ya? this I gotta see.. no,no, not an image I want stuck in my head.:eek: certainly you dont believe everthin the ponch writes? even iam not that gullible. out ponch

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now Ponch you know i take every thing you say for gospel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not ....... I have 36lbs in my Toyo to start ? Thought i would try that a few miles and then adjust if needed. Thanks for the advice , if you all think i should change the pressure speak up...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I believe most folks are running 38 - 40 psi.

If you're feeling a little squirrely, you might bump the pressure a bit. Any new tire takes a little to scrub in, so don't go grinding metal in the turns on the first ride!

Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've read so much about this over the years I would be curious to do so when my factory tire is worn.
question: any issues getting installed car tire on motorcycle wheel? odd looks? refusals?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not down here CQ , but i have heard in the States it can be difficult at times... From what i can tell some of the custom shops are ok with it, its the large dealers that take issue... Confidence will win out in most situations > walk into the shop and say HEY i need this tire mounted and boom its done but something tells me if you go in asking questions and they will probably back off.. With that being said i dont know many wimps that can ride a Beast so im sure you will be fine...Bulldozer

1 - 20 of 54 Posts