Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been 2 weeks since i got my bike. Spent the 1st week cruising the back roads and avoiding all traffic (its been over 30 yrs !) the last few days ive been out in traffic and doing some highway riding and i am finally over the "white knuckle" stage where you would have to pry my fingers from the throttle lol. I forgot how much fun this is and how great if feels to be on 2 wheels. My friends all have bigger bikes and when the tried mine they were all shocked at how sweet it rides and handles !

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm at the same place you are...just got my Vulcan 900 a couple weeks ago after many years away (about 15 for me), and it's taken a little bit of time to shake off the rust...but after just a few rides I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable.

EDIT: ...and having a lot of fun!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Feels great again

I got my new 900 April 21st after no riding since 1981. First couple times on the highway boy I did not like it and thought that 100k was not comfortable. i was probably as cautious as you.

However as I have been on the bike almost everyday since I am felling like I never left the 2 wheels. Yesterday i pushed myself and the bike up to 132k on the GPS. Speedo said I was over 140.

Now jumping on the highway and holding a GPS 100k is like nothing. LOL already think I want a bigger bike. I have taken the windshield off and love bombing around but prefer a full face when I take on the highway and pushing over 100k without the shield.

It comes back fast and the comfort level comes quick.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I picked up my 2009 Vulcan 900 Special Edition (they're on sale right now through June 30th) on Saturday and wow, what an easy bike to get used to. I have ridden consistantly for 38 years and this one has the ergonomics I was looking for. I still miss my Magna that I traded in, but rumbling down the road with these Cobra Speedster Swept pipes sure gives me a good feeling.

I really appreciate the info on this forum, because my bike came with the center swing arm grease zerk "pre-broken". I used the info on the sticky up there to get a new zerk and some cap screws and there were enough threads left to make it work. No need to pursue it further, although I did make the service department feel bad by sending them photos of the damage and asking if this is the way it should be when a guy takes delivery of a bike with 0.8 miles on the odometer.

I've been on Hondas over 30 years, but this new Kawi has me more than happy to change.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Have you ventured out on to the L.I.E. yet? I don't think I will ever be comfortable there...

Its been 2 weeks since i got my bike. Spent the 1st week cruising the back roads and avoiding all traffic (its been over 30 yrs !) the last few days ive been out in traffic and doing some highway riding and i am finally over the "white knuckle" stage where you would have to pry my fingers from the throttle lol. I forgot how much fun this is and how great if feels to be on 2 wheels. My friends all have bigger bikes and when the tried mine they were all shocked at how sweet it rides and handles !

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've been on Hondas over 30 years, but this new Kawi has me more than happy to change.
I was a Honda man before, too (with one Yamaha Virago thrown in for good measure), owning a series of six Hondas w/ the last one a Magna; my Vulcan is also my first Kawasaki. Having owned the Vulcan for a couple weeks, I'm glad I made the decision I did.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I was a Honda man before, too (with one Yamaha Virago thrown in for good measure), owning a series of six Hondas w/ the last one a Magna; my Vulcan is also my first Kawasaki. Having owned the Vulcan for a couple weeks, I'm glad I made the decision I did.
This is also my first Kawi, and my first cruiser. If I have to be honest with myself, the jury is still out on the Kawi. I kinda miss the level of refinement that Honda offers. I LOVE my bike, but there is a level of apprehension that I feel everytime I ride it, similar to when I owned a Harley. Kinda, what noise am I gonna hear today.....lol. That being said, I recognize that all the noise offers a certain unrefined thrill that the often anemic, smoothness of Honda and Yamaha can't provide.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you ventured out on to the L.I.E. yet? I don't think I will ever be comfortable there...
Noooo i picked the bike up in Hicksville and had to get it back to east hampton i only had my learners permit and was 2 days away from taking the 3 day safty course so my friend rode the bike on the LIE for me to the manorville exit and i took it from there on the back roads to east hampton. As i was following him every time a tractor-trailer wizzed by i thought .....am i nuts ? But i can see myself out there maybe in a few months lol.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Noooo i picked the bike up in Hicksville and had to get it back to east hampton i only had my learners permit and was 2 days away from taking the 3 day safty course so my friend rode the bike on the LIE for me to the manorville exit and i took it from there on the back roads to east hampton. As i was following him every time a tractor-trailer wizzed by i thought .....am i nuts ? But i can see myself out there maybe in a few months lol.
I hope to be confident enough for the LIE by the end of the summer. I'm kinda in the same spot. I am picking up my custom from Formula 1 in Oakdale and I have to get it back to Rocky Point. I am waiting to get a date for the MSF...

Is the MSF you took the one that waives the road test? I am guessing you took the class with tramas, how did you like it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope to be confident enough for the LIE by the end of the summer. I'm kinda in the same spot. I am picking up my custom from Formula 1 in Oakdale and I have to get it back to Rocky Point. I am waiting to get a date for the MSF...

Is the MSF you took the one that waives the road test? I am guessing you took the class with tramas, how did you like it?
Yes i did Tramas at the end of the third day they give you a skills test and if you pass you get a certificate and i went to the DMV the next day and had my license. There were 12 people in the course and only 6 passed. The course was definatly worth while I learned alot and it gave me quite a bit of confidence I highly recommend it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts