Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Vulcan 750. I have a small leak of final gear oil from inside the rubber boot at the front. This results in a puddle about an inch in diameter when the bike sits after it has run when it's hot. I guess I need to get this fixed but I wonder how long I can run it this way without major problems. Any thoughts or info?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 1995 Vulcan 750. I have a small leak of final gear oil from inside the rubber boot at the front. This results in a puddle about an inch in diameter when the bike sits after it has run when it's hot. I guess I need to get this fixed but I wonder how long I can run it this way without major problems. Any thoughts or info?
The rubber boot covers the universal joint behind the bevel gear at the rear of the engine, not on the final drive on the rear wheel.:confused:

Where is the leak? Below the bevel gear, or at the rear wheel final drive?
The engine has 4 quarts of oil, but the final drive only has ~5 ounces of 80W90 gear oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding

The leak comes out from within the rubber boot just at the back of the engine. Just behind the bevel gear I guess but I didn't know what the bevel gear was. I took it to a shop and they confirmed it was final gear oil and since it wasn't leaking much they said it is not worth the $500 or so to have them fix it. Since then I opened up the final gear oil filler cap and filled it up to the bottom of the threads (while on center stand). My service manual says it is at the right level if a little comes out when you open that so I guess it was low. Since I filled it up it is now leaking more. I guess I continue to add every so often or try to find $500 and get it fixed. When I recently changed the final gear oil the container had no clear part of the bottle to judge how much I had put in so maybe I filled it too full and that caused the problem but maybe not cause the previous owner had let the level go low.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK, it is clear to me now that the gear oil is getting past a seal (probably an O-ring) on the final drive and running down the driveshaft tube to the front bevel gear and dripping out the boot. I agree with sfair and the shop mecanic to just keep a close eye on the oil level in the final drive, and keep it topped up.

As I said previously, the final drive only holds about 5 oz (150 ml) of gear oil, so you don`t have much reserve if you get a puddle every time you park the bike. Get a syringe that holds an ounce or two of oil, and use that to fill the final drive, if you want an accurate measurement of how much you are adding.

I think you can find a used final drive on Ebay for less than the $500 the shop wants to repair yours. Since it is not an emergency where you need it right now, you can take your time and watch for a good deal. I think others on the vn750.com forum have found them for as low as $100 to $200 on occasion.

Here one on Ebay right now with a starting bid of $150, and buy it now for $225.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370421355976&viewitem=

·
Registered
553 Posts
OK, it is clear to me now that the gear oil is getting past a seal (probably an O-ring) on the final drive and running down the driveshaft tube to the front bevel gear and dripping out the boot. I agree with sf air and the shop mecanic to just keep a close eye on the oil level in the final drive, and keep it topped up.

As I said previously, the final drive only holds about 5 oz (150 ml) of gear oil, so you don`t have much reserve if you get a puddle every time you park the bike. Get a syringe that holds an ounce or two of oil, and use that to fill the final drive, if you want an accurate measurement of how much you are adding.

I think you can find a used final drive on Eba for less than the $500 the shop wants to repair yours. Since it is not an emergency where you need it right now, you can take your time and watch for a good deal. I think others on the Van.com forum have found them for as low as $100 to $200 on occasion.

Here one on Eba right now with a starting bid of $150, and buy it now for $225.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370421355976&viewitem=
Hi Canada, If it is a seal why could he not take the final off and take it to the dealer to replace the seal? That should be much less expensive and if you buy a used drive there is no guarantee that it will not have a problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Canada, If it is a seal why could he not take the final off and take it to the dealer to replace the seal? That should be much less expensive and if you buy a used drive there is no guarantee that it will not have a problem.
He already has an estimate from the stealership of $500 to repair the leak. That consists essentially of replacing the seal/O-ring. He has a 15 year old bike with an unmentioned number of miles on it. If I could find a final drive for $225 off a newer bike that was being parted out, I know which option I would choose. Just saying.

·
Registered
553 Posts
He already has an estimate from the stealer ship of $500 to repair the leak. That consists essentially of replacing the seal/O-ring. He has a 15 year old bike with an unmentioned number of miles on it. If I could find a final drive for $225 off a newer bike that was being parted out, I know which option I would choose. Just saying.
K I do not disagree but I think most of that $500 quote is for removal and replace. at least it should be much less than $500 to replace the seals. He will still have to pull the old one and replace it with the junk yard replacement. At least if he pulls tho old one the "stealer ship" can evaluate the condition. Also just saying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts