Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys can you help me out--my belt is rubbing against the outside of the rear pulley-has always been off centered but now it is gone as far as it can go-local stealership told me it would cost a minimum of 70 bucks just to look at it (bikes still under warranty)--screw them!!--common sense tells me that i need to change the adjustment on the rear wheel to move the belt back to the middle of the pulley--am i correct in assuming this or is there another adjustment i should be looking into?-i know any adjustments made should be in small increments so it doesnt fly off the other side of the pulley--planning on taking it on a long road trip this weekend so i got to get her fixed soon --thanks for any advice

·
Registered
59 Posts
After you make any ajustments, you have to check your belt tension. You can pick a belt tension gauge up on line for about 30 bucks. In your case, taking a little off the right side, about a half a mark should move the belt enough, that it wont rub.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's a little known ( unless your a dealership ) fact about the belt on a 2000. It's supposed to be at the left side of the pulley. You should be able to see a small portion of the right side of the pulley. Belt tension is another matter. Enjoy your trip w/ no worries. MC Rider out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought this belt tensioning tool & I havn't got a clue how to use it. Help. What manual, web site, etc. can I go to ? MC Rider.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looking for more info

ended up taking my bike in to the dealer and the tech tightened the belt up even more and made it worse--said the squeal is the nature of this bike and "i would have to live w/ it"--i aint beleiving that one--have seen this tip on belt adjustment posted twice by another member --"34mm at adjusters w/ stock pulleys"--where do i need to take this measurement between ?-- assuming one of the points is the adjustment notch but have no clue where the other point is--have looked in the service manual w/ no luck--any help on this measurement would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
696 Posts
I can't answer your questions, especially specific to your bike, but I can tell you a short story about my 2010 900 Classic LT belt problem. It squealed and screamed from the day I got it. Dealership service manager said that's normal. Belt squeals more and now is ripping the left side off of the belt. Service manager says that is normal. The belt also rubbed against a coolant hose and almost cut through it. Hose replaced under warranty. Went into the dealer last Sat and raised cain about the belt cuz it's really ragged now. An hour and a half later, I drove out of there with new drive belt, supposedly centered on the pulleys. No charge, all warranty items.

Not the end of the story, the belt still makes a little noise and isn't centered, is to the left, but I'm going to try to center it myself. It's not off by very much at all.

I got some Harley drive belt dressing that I put on the outside, left edge of the original belt. That removed the belt noise completely. I've not put it on the new belt yet, but will if I can't center it. The dressing is genuine HD Poly-Oil, came in a 2oz tube for $4.

Here's a link for the lube, if you wish. http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441847627&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374309368376&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=2534374309368376&bmUID=1269273208986&bmLocale=en_US

1 - 6 of 6 Posts