Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody....
Its been many years since I filled a gas tank on a motorcycle...
Years ago I just looked in the tank to see where the level was at, and
dribbled the gas in...My Question is on my classic 900 do I stick the nozzel
in and fill it like my car...Or do it the old way???..I know this Question sounds
kind of dorky.....Thanks..

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hi Everybody....
Its been many years since I filled a gas tank on a motorcycle...
Years ago I just looked in the tank to see where the level was at, and
dribbled the gas in...My Question is on my classic 900 do I stick the nozzel
in and fill it like my car...Or do it the old way???..I know this Question sounds
kind of dorky.....Thanks..
I just stick it in and pump (that sounds dirty...)

Most pumps around here stop automatically some do not, but I think that is an issue with the pump itself...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow. As I was riding in to work this morning, I was thinking about posting a similar question on here. Great minds think alike, I guess.

My question is only slightly different. I'm a new rider (have had my bike about 2 weeks now) and I'm having trouble filling my tank. I have a 2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad, which has a 5.3 gallon gas tank. If I understand correctly, the fuel light comes on when there is about 1.2 gallons left in the tank. So if I drive around for a little bit before filling up, I should be able to put more than 4 gallons of gas in the tank. However, I can usually only get it to take somewhere between 3 and 3.5 gallons. And when I do, the fuel gauge doesn't show it as being completely full.

Right now, I'm only riding 20-30 miles at a time, so it's not a big deal. But once I start doing longer rides, I'm gonna need to know how to fill this darn thing up. Do I just dribble it in like Vulcan 41 suggests?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't trust the gas gauge :p

I had a 1977 KZ650 before my VN900, my trip meter was my gas gauge. Just figure out roughly how much you get to a tank, and use that to know how much gas you have.

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
But how do I know that I have used almost a full tank (since I don't know that I'm really getting it full when I fill up)? I have been using my trip meter, and have been riding about 140 miles on a tank. And when I "fill up" I add about 3.5 gallons, which means I'm getting about 40 miles to the gallon. As such, if I *knew* the tank was full after a fill-up, I should be able to get a little over 200 miles on a tank. But, what if the fuel gauge is right and I'm not getting it completely full? I'd hate to find that out the hard way.

I guess I could just push each tank a little farther and see how that goes. But I really would hate to run out of gas on this thing.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I fill it up with the nozzle leaning just on the inside can then pump till it shuts off,then lift the nozzle just above the can & add more till gas just sits on inside of the can ,have to make sure gas is in the center or it will go all over if you hit the side of can.yes I learned the hard way.you can add about another liter if you really want to fill it to the top for long hauls.

I think the fuel pump & some of the air space @ the top of tank is about .5 gallon.the way I fill it holds 4.7 gallons & my bike has a gallon when the light comes on.

twist the grip & be happy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting...thanks for the link to the fix for the gas gauge inaccuracy. Really, I had thought the problem was that I wasn't really getting the tank full, but I'll try this and see how it goes!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
There's an inner guide just inside the cap. I rest the nozzle barely inside that guide and pump away, and most pumps will auto-stop when it gets close, but I always watch anyway, as some pumps fail. Then I tweak in just enough more to get the gas level barely above the bottom lip of that nozzle guide.

As for when to fill up, I usually try to fill 'er up between the 160 and 200 mile mark on the trip meter. Fuel light comes on between 180-200, depending on how I've treated the throttle, and should indicate that you have ~1 gallon left.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, so tonight I had the pleasure of finding out the hard way that my fuel gauge is more accurate than I thought. Luckily, I was only about a mile from a gas station, and a good bit of that was downhill, so I was able to coast most of the way there. It sucked at the time, but was perfect for my "experiment" of figuring out whether or not I was really filling up the tank.

I put the nozzle completely into the tank and ran it until it stopped. This happened at about the 4 gallon mark. I lifted it up and "drizzled" gas in for a little bit, and was able to get in another full gallon. In the end, I put in 5.08 gallons, which I feel good about. Now I can get a good feel for how far I can go on a tank, and know that I'm getting it filled properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts