Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I finally got a FIAMM freeway blaster as recommended by Chuckkent, as I am never too sure about electrical wiring I need some help there, at the back of the horn there are two connectors but there is no marking to tell which one is active and which one is ground, it is also supplied with a ground wire...:confused:
On my bike there are 2 wires to the horn, which do I connect and where?
The bike has 2 bolts to attach it to the frame, the Fiamm has only one bolt...
Have I got the right horn!?
Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Neither connector is connected to ground so it doesn't matter which way you hook it up. I took the original horn off the mounting bracket. Took out the rubber spacer and two metal clips. Then put a lock washer just smaller than the hole in the bracket and put the new horn just like the old. I adjusted the horn so the bell faces down and connected the spade lugs up so that the wires point down to drain any water. The bracket is installed in the original position.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Neither connector is connected to ground so it doesn't matter which way you hook it up. I took the original horn off the mounting bracket. Took out the rubber spacer and two metal clips. Then put a lock washer just smaller than the hole in the bracket and put the new horn just like the old. I adjusted the horn so the bell faces down and connected the spade lugs up so that the wires point down to drain any water. The bracket is installed in the original position.
Did you connect it directly or run it through a relay?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks again Chuckkent!
All clear now, I'll be doing this sat morning.

·
Registered
73 Posts
No relay needed. One of the good things about this horn is it doesn't draw anymore juice than the original even though it is 4 times as loud. thx.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ouch, that hurts, lol i was the first one to recommend the freeway blaster, by almost an hour!! LMAO
glad you found a good, affordable horn :)
Yes, Slpr61, you actually did, thanks for that ;) and very happy with it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just did the mod, took 10 minutes following your instructions, I just did not position the opening way down but a bit off as I noticed one of the wire connectors was rubbing against the top of the radiator, don't know exactly what sort of heat it gets to there, just did not want to risk it, but the Fiamm sounds great! just what I wanted.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Hi all
I finally got a FIAMM freeway blaster as recommended by Chuckkent, as I am never too sure about electrical wiring I need some help there, at the back of the horn there are two connectors but there is no marking to tell which one is active and which one is ground, it is also supplied with a ground wire...:confused:
On my bike there are 2 wires to the horn, which do I connect and where?
The bike has 2 bolts to attach it to the frame, the Fiamm has only one bolt...
Have I got the right horn!?
Thanks
Did you get the high or low tone?

Rod

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got one too and mounted it on my boys 900. Only thing is it isn't a freeway but a WOLO. Couldn't find the freeway locally. I think it is the same thing and maybe made by FIAMM. It fit perfect. I got the low and wow is it loud. Now he wants one that he can record his voice on. I can imagine what he wants to say LOLOL

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lo tone. Just make sure the bell is sort of pointed down. Otherwise it will allow water to get into the mechanics and fail. I was looking at the Wolo too. Same animal, I could just beat the price on Amazon....all good!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you get the high or low tone?

Rod
Don't know to tell you the truth...And now that it works fine I have thrown the packaging away (I know I should have kept it but I can help it, I hate keeping useless packaging...)
By the sound I would say it is high tone, quite loud!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi !

(old thread, I know but..;).) I've seen a lot of folks recommend getting both low and high tone when mounting two of these horns...I would prefer to have two low tone horns though. Do you think maybe two low tone horns will cancel themselves out to a degree, whereas the low and high will result in a more cumulative effect?

Thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here is my Freeway Blaster installed just between the cyclinder and the fuel tank on the right side. There is a small bolt that the mounting bracket can be mounted on...I cut the bracket in half and drilled a hole for the horn to bolt to so it has lots of clearance for the horn and for the wires to not rub on the radiator. It also can point downward and not suck up water as well. I thought it was kind of close to the front fender and forks on the original mount on my case saver bars. This is a great improvement over the stock horn and I bought it off Amazon for $14.95. Its the low tone and is loud and proud.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was going to install one on each side, when the original is, and directly across on the other side. I bought two low horns and one high horn, and will experiment as to which combination I prefer.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm not sure but I think that if you have more than 1 horn it needs to have a relay installed too. For me just 1 horn works great and its darn loud and cars could hear it easily....that's all I was worried about. I didn't really want a wiring mess running all over the bike either and the 1 horn uses the stock wiring with no mods at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi. Yeah, I have a 40 amp relay all ready to go (and fuse). Wiring shouldn't be too bad, just need to get the main feed back from the battery, then hide the relay and wires in between the forks (behind the chrome shroud), or maybe in the headlight if there is space there. Just need one wire to each horn, if using the frame as ground for the horns. I'm so optimistic. :) That said, maybe I should go for a ride with only one installed...as I might find it quite sufficient, as you say.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts